The bunt today

Robh21223

I blame Franco. Poor decision to abandon 3rd when the bunt went straight to the pitcher. Why call the pitcher off and abvandon 3rd base leaving nobody covering 3rd?

Or is it Galvis' fault for not covering third...... or is it Zimmerman's fault for not covering third.

Basic fundamentals don't seem to be Hyde's strong suit.

Mistakes like this cost you winnable ballgames like today.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Robh21223 said:

And to expand further, why was Franco even signed? He's not a good fielder. Very average hitter. And he 30+ in age.

I would've kept Alberto rather than sign a bad gloved average ballplayer. Just my 2 cents.

Franco is making $800,000. Alberto is making $1.65 million, plus a possible $350,000 bonus, with the Royals.

If you knew of a third baseman with ML experience who would have signed for less than $800,000, you should have mentioned it to Elias -- he might have been an Oriole.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Robh21223 said:

He looks old. LOL

He does.   

That should have been Zimmermann’s ball, but he didn’t exactly charge off the mound.   And when he let Franco have it, he should have headed to 3B immediately.    Overall, one of the more ridiculous looking plays I’ve seen.  Three guys all standing near 3B and nobody there on time.   The 1B must have been utterly confused as to who to throw to.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He does.   

That should have been Zimmermann’s ball, but he didn’t exactly charge off the mound.   And when he let Franco have it, he should have headed to 3B immediately.    Overall, one of the more ridiculous looking plays I’ve seen.  Three guys all standing near 3B and nobody there on time.   The 1B must have been utterly confused as to who to throw to.   

Yeah... I was leaning toward Zimmermann. Cost us the game pretty much.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Looks like it.  Three times already in 18 games.   In 2018 we were shut out 15 times.

And IMO, we got worse on offense.

We can only hope Hays, Mountcastle and Stewart all get hot and have decent numbers. I have about lost hope in Cisco ever being a productive major leaguer.

43 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Franco is making $800,000. Alberto is making $1.65 million, plus a possible $350,000 bonus, with the Royals.

If you knew of a third baseman with ML experience who would have signed for less than $800,000, you should have mentioned it to Elias -- he might have been an Oriole.

I'm sick of us crying broke. No excuse. This guy had 3 years a negative WAR and a fourth year where is WAR was 0.2.

Not a guy who is going to help you much. I do admit I thought he was older but that changes nothing.

I want young exciting players. Maikel Franco is not the kind of guy that you sign.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robh21223 said:

I'm sick of us crying broke. No excuse. This guy had 3 years a negative WAR and a fourth year where is WAR was 0.2.

Not a guy who is going to help you much. I do admit I thought he was older but that changes nothing.

I want young exciting players. Maikel Franco is not the kind of guy that you sign.

The Orioles want exciting players, too -- so long as they're cheap and aren't among the Saviors of the Franchise being held back so that team control of them will fall within some imagined flood of talent that's on its way some day.

If they can't have all those things, the Orioles will opt for cheap.

I'll try to explain in a future post why I think the Orioles may be underestimating the damage they're doing to themselves, but here's the gist of it. By not trying, year after year, to put young, entertaining talent on the field, the Orioles are having their fan base, and attendance, eaten away. That's a manageable problem if you're operating in Houston or Chicago, or in a pre-Nats Baltimore with a stadium that itself is a fan attraction. In Baltimore, in 2017-22, the loss of fans is much more likely to have significant, long-lasting effects.

• Upvote 1

I didn't want them to sign Franco either. (Though for $800k, it doesn't much matter who they chose to play 3B.)

But that play was not at all his fault. He did exactly what he is trained to do in that situation. So if this thread is really about the bunt, it's not the place to thrash Franco.