Franco can pick it

Moose Milligan

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Too many savors are expected to arrive and walk on water, and they end up like Sisco or worse, dont even get to the bigs.

It’s so true.   How many of our top prospects actually lived up to what you hoped for them?   Thank God for the occasional John Means types who never had big expectations laid on them but turned out way better than anyone thought they’d be.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It’s so true.   How many of our top prospects actually lived up to what you hoped for them?   Thank God for the occasional John Means types who never had big expectations laid on them but turned out way better than anyone thought they’d be.

This happens to other fandoms, too, right?

We are just more familiar with the grass on our side of the fence.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

This happens to other fandoms, too, right?

We are just more familiar with the grass on our side of the fence.

Sure it happens.   But it happens more often to bad teams, which is one of the reasons they become bad teams.  

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m old enough to have seen Brooks Robinson in his prime.   After his retirement, any time an Orioles 3B failed to make a tough but makeable play, those who’d seen him would either think or say out loud, “Brooks would’ve had it.”   I can’t tell you how often I said or thought that   

And now I’m doing it again, only it’s “Manny would’ve had it.”    Manny’s three years gone, but once you’ve seen a guy like that, you can never forget it.

I raise this only to say that I’m extremely spoiled and I consider the ability of a 3B to knock down a line smash one-hopper within a step or two to either side to be table stakes.   Yeah I’ve seen Franco make a few really good plays, but I’ve seen him miss some easy ones, and also some difficult but “Manny would have had it” plays.   His career stats say he’s below average, and that’s what my eyes tell me, despite a few nice plays.  

You're talking about my guy all wrong here. If you read the thread title, it simply says Franco caaaaaaan pick it. Whether or not he does it on a regular basis is something else entirely.

On 4/29/2021 at 2:34 PM, Frobby said:

Sure it happens.   But it happens more often to bad teams, which is one of the reasons they become bad teams.  

I think its more cause than effect.  IE. It happens more often to bad teams because they are bad.  

Bad drafting, bad scouting, bad development, bad trades....leads to misses and more of them.