Zach Lowther

accinfo

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The only reason they aren't averaging 5 IP/S is because the team isn't letting them.  You pull a guy at 70 pitches what do you expect?  This isn't a case of a guy being at 100 pitches in the fourth because he can't throw strikes.

That’s fair but once again these kids are being built up for a reason. 

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tyler Wells and Blaine Knight should be added.   Stauffer is still in Low A last I heard.  He is someone to watch as he moves up this season.  We were talking pitching, right?  So though Vavra and Dorrian need to be added I did not include them. Alex Wells is really going to have to show something at AAA to keep him spot on the 40 man roster.

Yeah, talking pitching but how many spots on the 40 can you use for just pitchers? We have plenty of guys who can come off the roster right now, but we still have to field a team and some of those spots won’t be starters or prospects.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Is there a meaningful difference service-time wise if we bring him up on April 1st vs April 20th?   If not, then I don't understand why you said this.

Under the current CBA if a team waits 16 days into the season to add a minor leaguer to the 40 man roster the team get another year of control of that player.  It moves his FA back one year.  

We don't know what the new CBA will say.  However its a good bet that team will follow the old CBA rules this fall until the new rules are known for sure.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I just posted a Fangraphs article on the topic to the Minors section.

I also wouldn't call not letting them go past ~70 pitches building them up.

I’ll check it out. My point is at some point they need to be built up and go through the rigors of a full season making 30 plus starts. They aren’t pushing them for a reason. 

39 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Yeah, talking pitching but how many spots on the 40 can you use for just pitchers? We have plenty of guys who can come off the roster right now, but we still have to field a team and some of those spots won’t be starters or prospects. And we’re really only working with 39 spots until Davis is finally gone. 

The minor leaguers don't have to added to the 40 man roster until after the season.  Many of the players that are coming off the roster do not have trade value so they can be DFA'd during or after they season.  The few will come off they roster and have trade value will be traded by August  1st.

Here is what I have for the December 40 roster as of today:

Rutschman and Grayson Rodriguez not add until April.

1. Mancini 1B            
  2. Vavra  2B                 
  3. TBD SS -open for Rule 5 guy or other add
  4.   TBD 3B - open fir Rule 5 guy or other add                                                                                                                (Note: O's will add a SS and 3B from FA during the off season and trade from the 40 man roster to make space)
  5. Hays  LF
  6. Mullins CF
  7. Santander RF
  8. Sisco BUC
  9. Mountcastle  DH/1B
  10. Means  SP
  11. DL Hall SP
  12. Baumann SP
  13. Bradish SP
  14. Fry RP
  15. Scott RP
  16. H Harvey
  17. T Wells
  18. Tate
  19. Kremer
  20. Zimmermann
  21. Akin
  22. Lopez
  23. McCoy
  24. Stewart
  25.  Jones
  26.  Urias
  27.  Diaz
  28. McKenna
  29. Nevin
  30.  Cumberland
  31. Grenier
  32. Adam Hall
  33. Lowther
  34.  Smith
  35.  Wilson
  36.  Vespi
  37. Peralta
  38. Diplans
  39. Blaine Knight
  40.  Chris Davis  

Coming off the 40 man roster  before December                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

(13) Matt Harvey, Armstrong, Lakins, Plutko, Sulser, Severino,  Wynns,  Waddell, Franco, Galvis,  Valaika, Wilkerson,  Martin

Note: Galvis and Sulser may have trade value.

On  the Bubble

Mattson, Sceroler, Valdez, AWells, Bannon

Note: Escarra may or may not need to be added to the 40 man roster.

At some point whether at the MLB or AAA level to Zimmerman, Kremer, Akin, Baumann, A. Wells, Bradish, etc..., all need a full season of starts to see what we have. We need to find out what we have. If it’s next year and we’re still wondering about the whole bunch, then we might not have anything but relievers at best.