Robert Neustrom 2021

Hazmat

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Great piece.   I saw Steve tease it in the comments of his yesterday post - he seemed (at least yesterday) to stay engaged with his readers much of the day.

i just don't know about Neustrom reviewing his swing decisions a couple hours after the game.   I sort of thought the Decision of Sleep Science might want REM mode by then, and look at it with a fresh brain at 0700.    

Think in video I heard Neustrom say precisely November 20 as when he would have to know 40-man status.   I am still fuzzy on what comes first between CBA expiration and Clubs needing to lock 40-man rosters for 2022 Rule V draft.  

On 10/14/2021 at 2:25 PM, LookinUp said:

Definitely seems like a guy that can start at Norfolk to show if he's really made a break out. Would be awesome. No way I'd be exposing him to Rule V.

Agree, he's a lock for my 40-man. Stewart coming off surgery, Santander and Hays injury-prone, McKenna a great defender but a 0 with the bat so far, Stowers not likely to break with the club. The squad will definitely need another outfielder to throw out there and Neustrom is my next-man-up choice right now. 

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Agree, he's a lock for my 40-man. Stewart coming off surgery, Santander and Hays injury-prone, McKenna a great defender but a 0 with the bat so far, Stowers not likely to break with the club. The squad will definitely need another outfielder to throw out there and Neustrom is my next-man-up choice right now. 

Reports are that Stewart should be ready for ST.   That will allow Neustrom to begin 2022 in AAA.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Stewart.

I have to agree completely. He will be 28 next month. He has not done anything to keep his 40 man spot over several younger guys with actual upside. Stewart was supposed to have some OBP, which he does because he walks. BA does not mean very much these days, but his line for his career is .214/,329/.403/.732. How much longer are we supposed to give him? His K% in 2020 was 33.9, which was slightly improved in 2021 at 28%. He had a 94 WRC in 2021 as opposed to a very respectable 123 in 2020, albeit a SSS and propped up by a hot 10 days. He is a terrible OF, evidenced by his -9 DRS in 2021, according to Fangraphs.

He plays a power position in corner OF, but provides very little power. I would rather play McKenna out there, even Nevin, over Stewart, until Stowers and Neustrom are ready. I cannot justify keeping him on the 40 man with so many younger prospects that could be claimed in the R5. 

• Upvote 1

I will not disagree with the assessment of Stewart's mediocrity.   The question of what keeps him on the 40 man roster is that is cheap, optionable and that Stowers and Neustrom still need some time in the  minors.    That time could be as little as a couple of months of the 2022 season.  

Elias could replace Stewart with someone off the waiver wire.  That is certainly possible.  However, I do see the need for an outfielder that can step in if Hays and/or Santander are hurt early in the season.   McKenna concerns me with his bat.   A pitcher with a good fastball will take around three pitches to send McKenna bat to the bench.   He is good on defense but I have no faith in his offense.  Nevin has not shown he can even hit AAA pitching.

So whether it is Stewart or someone else I see a need for a backup outfielder.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I will not disagree with the assessment of Stewart's mediocrity.   The question of what keeps him on the 40 man roster is that is cheap, optionable and that Stowers and Neustrom still need some time in the  minors.    That time could be as little as a couple of months of the 2022 season.  

Elias could replace Stewart with someone off the waiver wire.  That is certainly possible.  However, I do see the need for an outfielder that can step in if Hays and/or Santander are hurt early in the season.   McKenna concerns me with his bat.   A pitcher with a good fastball will take around three pitches to send McKenna bat to the bench.   He is good on defense but I have no faith in his offense.  Nevin has not shown he can even hit AAA pitching.

I agree with you about McKenna, especially offensively. But if you compare him to Stewart, at least McKenna has speed and defensive ability. Stewart has neither. McKenna can be used as a late inning defensive replacement, and as a pinch runner. Stewart can't be. So even with his limited offensive contributions, McKenna should be kept instead of Stewart. If the need should arise for a fifth outfielder, Mateo could be at least a short-term solution.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, panick said:

I agree with you about McKenna, especially offensively. But if you compare him to Stewart, at least McKenna has speed and defensive ability. Stewart has neither. McKenna can be used as a late inning defensive replacement, and as a pinch runner. Stewart can't be. So even with his limited offensive contributions, McKenna should be kept instead of Stewart. If the need should arise for a fifth outfielder, Mateo could be at least a short-term solution.

I have no problem with McKenna as a backup defensive outfielder.  Just don't expect much from his offense if Hays or Santander are injured.   The O's need to give Mateo  playing time at SS/2B to see what he can offer.   The infield is thin even if they add a Galvis or someone similar.  Mateo is fast and he can run around the outfield but I think the infield is his future if he can take advantage of the opportunity given him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

For me, the 40 man spot is the issue. Obviously, there are many moving parts. Do they keep Mancini and Santander? If they are traded or non-tendered, then perhaps they keep Stewart for the time being as a DH. That is the only way I can see him staying. Being a LH hitter, on a team that is heavily RH helps him. Even with all that, the OF talent has him on the outside looking in.

McKenna hit really well in AAA, and we need to find out if that has any merit. Playing everyday would allow us to find out. Nevin might be a guy who fills a gap instead of Stewart, but again, like you said, he did not hit well in AAA. But there was progress there. Tyler has to get stronger, but if Mancini is moved I can see him on the roster because of his defensive flexibility. Jahmai Jones may end up playing some OF as well.

It is too bad, but I think DJ does not deserve to have a chair when the music stops, unless Mike Elias makes trades/moves from the OF depth. He might be a mediocre bench hitter (replacement level), with no defensive value on another roster. In Baltimore, he is simply surrounded by players better, or project better, than him and they are pushing him aside. 

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

My sense is that Neustrom will be a very similar player to Stewart.   Not sure he’s an upgrade at all but arguably it might be worthwhile to find out anyway, since Stewart has looked like a replacement level player in 193 games, 609 PA.   He could improve a bit offensively but he’s always going to be pretty limited in what he can do.   

• Like 1