May 15th v. The Evil Empire

scOtt

4 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

That is stupid.  So Garrit Cole was a bad pick?  Trevor Bauer was bad pick? Francisco Lindor bad pick too?  

That is a strawman argument, that’s not what I’m saying. As a matter fact I specifically said exactly the opposite, to wit, that how do you do relative to your draft class is less important than how you are doing.

Lots of people were down on Wieters because he wasn’t Joe Mauer. I never cared about that. He was a good solid catcher until the last couple of years and I had no complaints(I had plenty of complaints the last couple of years, but only then.)No, I was never down on Wieters for not being as good as Mauer, But I am plenty down on Sisco for not being good at all.
If my draft pick is doing well, that’s the main thing. Ours mostly aren’t.

Edited by Philip

Just now, Philip said:

That is a strawman argument, that’s not what I’m saying as a matter fact I specifically said exactly the opposite, to it that how do you do relative to your draft class is less important than how you are doing. Lots of people were down on Wieters because he wasn’t Joe Mauer. I never cared about that. He was a good solid catcher until the last couple of years and I have no complaints(I had plenty of complaints the last couple of years, but only then.)No, I was never down on Wieters for not being as good as Mauer, But I am plenty down on Sisco for not being good at all.
If my draft pick is doing well, that’s the main thing. Ours mostly aren’t.

Sisco is incredibly good.

To quote Searching for Bobby Fisher:

“He's better at this than I've ever been at anything in my life. He's better at this than you'll ever be, at anything.

I just looked up that 2015 draft. Man there was a Lotta stars in that draft.

I was mildly surprised to learn that Mountcastle at 36 was a compensation pick for the Mariners signing Nelson Cruz.

I would rather have kept Cruz...

(But yes I admit at the time I was ok with letting him walk.)

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sisco is incredibly good.

To quote Searching for Bobby Fisher:

Sisco is an incredible baseball player compared to the average human being. He's also a terrible Major League catcher who would have never sniffed the big leagues for most MLB clubs. 

1 minute ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Sisco is an incredible baseball player compared to the average human being. He's also a terrible Major League catcher who would have never sniffed the big leagues for most MLB clubs. 

I don't think that's true.

Look at his minor league numbers.  What team wouldn't at least call him up to the majors and see what he could do?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think that's true.

Look at his minor league numbers.  What team wouldn't at least call him up to the majors and see what he could do?

Okay, maybe not sniff the big leagues is a little harsh. Sisco would have gotten opportunities due to his minor league production. I just don't see teams like the Dodgers and Rays and other top clubs putting up with his terrible defense and mediocre bat for very long. 

2 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Okay, maybe not sniff the big leagues is a little harsh. Sisco would have gotten opportunities due to his minor league production. I just don't see teams like the Dodgers and Rays and other top clubs putting up with his terrible defense and mediocre bat for very long. 

I honestly don't know if I would keep Sisco or Severino as a backup right now.  I think Sisco's bat has a better shot at improving than Severino's glove at this point.  I sure wouldn't have both of them on my roster.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I honestly don't know if I would keep Sisco or Severino as a backup right now.  I think Sisco's bat has a better shot at improving than Severino's glove at this point.  I sure wouldn't have both of them on my roster.

I would much rather have a Jeff Mathis or Caleb Joseph type catcher who can't hit a lick but excels at all levels of catching defense (Pitch framing, handling a pitching staff, blocking balls in the dirt, throwing out runners) than catchers with "better bats" but major issues defensively like Sisco and Severino. 

4 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I would much rather have a Jeff Mathis or Caleb Joseph type catcher who can't hit a lick but excels at all levels of catching defense (Pitch framing, handling a pitching staff, blocking balls in the dirt, throwing out runners) than catchers with "better bats" but major issues defensively like Sisco and Severino. 

I don't think that "excels at all levels of catching defense" are that easy to find.

1 hour ago, TINSTAAPP said:

He's our #2 catcher.  There are a ton of pretty weak #2 catchers around MLB.  It is not a position that is deep with talent.