What do you think of Tyler Wells?

wildcard

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

Wells was outstanding today, fearlessly attacking really good hitters with strikes at the bottom of the zone.

He has a very calm demeanor out there.   It’s comforting.   Also, he’s around the strike zone most of the time, even when he throws a ball.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Faced Judge, Stanton, and Rizzo, threw strikes and got them 1-2-3. Very impressive. Threw strikes with the slider enough to keep them off balance so they didn't get great swings even when his FB was over the plate.

He is. I’d still like to see him tried as a starter. More chances to be impressive. 

On 9/4/2021 at 8:12 AM, wildcard said:

I don't think the O's believe that.  I think they see a guy coming for TJ surgery who has not pitching in years.  They think the best way to keep him healthy is to limit his innings in 2021 by making him a reliever.   That do not mean they will not stretch him out in ST to see if he can be a starter.

I agree. I think he's a guy they are limiting innings on this year but will try as a starter next year. He has the repertoire and they drafted him because they believed he had the ability to be a starter. What we don't know is if his stuff holds up to 90-100 pitches? 

With his size and stuff, they would be foolish to not give him a try as a starter because I think it's pretty clear he can move to the pen and be pretty special.

• Upvote 1

His last 9 games:  9.1 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk, 9 K's.  For the year, he has an .843 WHIP in 51 innings and a 6.2 K/W rate.  Rookie Reliever of the Year?  

All 8 of the homers he's given up have been in Baltimore.  Still, he's only given up a .672 OPS at home and an amazing .439 on the road.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, vab said:

I know we need starters but we need relievers too. If it ain't broke don't fix it - leave him in the bullpen. 

The Texas Rangers miss out on a couple of World Series with this attitude.

A starting pitcher is so much more valuable than a relief pitcher that if there's any reasonable belief the pitcher can make the transition- and I think there is plenty of that with Wells- you almost have to give it a shot.

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The Texas Rangers miss out on a couple of World Series with this attitude.

A starting pitcher is so much more valuable than a relief pitcher that if there's any reasonable belief the pitcher can make the transition- and I think there is plenty of that with Wells- you almost have to give it a shot.

While you're probably correct, there's nothing harder on a baseball fan of a contending team than having the bullpen blow a bunch of games.    

Having said that, I'm fine with whichever direction the O's go with him.  

I think they should try him as a starter next year, then settle on his role once we see how it goes.    

That said, I was really impressed with his demeanor yesterday, both in the 9th inning and his postgame interview.   He’s a calm presence.   Always a good feature in a back end reliever.