Alex Wells 2021

Frobby

Five scoreless for Wells tonight, 1 hit, no walks, 3 strikeouts.   He only threw 58 pitches in 5 innings. 43 for strikes.   That’s the Wells we know and love.  

It seems like our other recent graduates to the majors who’ve struggled also have had trouble at Norfolk once returning there.   Not so with Wells, who has a 3.42 ERA at Norfolk.  I think he’s going to get another opportunity in Baltimore sooner or later.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Five scoreless for Wells tonight, 1 hit, no walks, 3 strikeouts.   He only threw 58 pitches in 5 innings. 43 for strikes.   That’s the Wells we know and love.  

It seems like our other recent graduates to the majors who’ve struggled also have had trouble at Norfolk once returning there.   Not so with Wells, who has a 3.42 ERA at Norfolk.  I think he’s going to get another opportunity in Baltimore sooner or later.   

Could be he gets one now with Lopez going to the pen. Although, I thought I heard Ellis was getting a shot. 

My problem with Wells is his stuff isn’t very good, so he has to nibble and that’s why his walks are up compared to Norfolk. 

8 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Could be he gets one now with Lopez going to the pen. Although, I thought I heard Ellis was getting a shot. 

My problem with Wells is his stuff isn’t very good, so he has to nibble and that’s why his walks are up compared to Norfolk. 

I’m not sure that’s been the main reason.   I’ve probably seen him three times and just didn’t think his command was sharp at all.   Many pitches 6+ times niches out of the strike zone that would tempt nobody.   Now I’m not saying that nibbling isn’t also a part of it.   In AAA he’s thrown 69% strikes with a 1.2 BB/9; in the majors it’s 61% and 4.3.    That’s a huge discrepancy.  I’m not very impressed by what I’ve seen, but I’m not sure what I’ve seen is representative of what Wells can do when he’s on his game.