Alex Wells 2021

Frobby

Alex Wells picked up a cheap win today despite allowing 3 runs on 6 hits and 2 walks in 3.1 innings.    He was following Mac Sceroler, who also didn’t pitch well.    But, the Tides scored a bunch of runs in the middle innings and Wells left with the lead, and the bullpen held it.    

Wells’ numbers so far: 13.2 IP, 26 H,   18 R, 15 ER, 4 HR, 4 BB, 8 K’s, 9.55 ERA.    That’s not gonna cut it.   With Hall and maybe Smith pushing for a promotion, Wells may find himself back in Bowie if he doesn’t regain his form shortly.   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Alex Wells picked up a cheap win today despite allowing 3 runs on 6 hits and 2 walks in 3.1 innings.    He was following Mac Sceroler, who also didn’t pitch well.    But, the Tides scored a bunch of runs in the middle innings and Wells left with the lead, and the bullpen held it.    

Wells’ numbers so far: 13.2 IP, 26 H,   18 R, 15 ER, 4 HR, 4 BB, 8 K’s, 9.55 ERA.    That’s not gonna cut it.   With Hall and maybe Smith pushing for a promotion, Wells may find himself back in Bowie if he doesn’t regain his form shortly.   

I want to see some video of him. I wonder if the oblique injuries might have messed up his form a bit, or if his stuff just isn’t playing up.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wells had his best outing of the year, piggybacking and throwing four scoreless innings, allowing one hit without a walk and striking out five against a very good Durham team.    

The game was suspended in the 8th inning because Brett Cumberland hit a line drive which hit Durham pitcher Tyler Zombro in the face.  Zombro was convulsing on the field and taken out on a stretcher.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

The game was suspended in the 8th inning because Brett Cumberland hit a line drive which hit Durham pitcher Tyler Zombro in the face.  Zombro was convulsing on the field and taken out on a stretcher.

Saw the video and it is definitely awful on a whole different level. Up to that point, Bryce Florie had been the worst “comeback at the pitcher” injury I had seen. This tops it.

9 hours ago, SteveA said:

That is terrible.   I hope there’s no permanent damage.  

14 hours ago, SteveA said:

Wow, that's awful. I hope the young man recovers quickly. Sounds like he's in stable condition,

E3DGzn7X0AUM926?format=jpg&name=large

On 5/27/2021 at 4:03 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I want to see some video of him. I wonder if the oblique injuries might have messed up his form a bit, or if his stuff just isn’t playing up.

Wow, just went back and watched and it's awful. He was clearly knocked out and dropped directly straight down and the convulsing before they cut away was just beyond awful to watch. Glad to see they cut away from the young man going through that.

While clearly not the same thing, I hope Cumberland is alright as well. He was clearly understandably upset over what happened.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've avoided the footage but yea, eyewitnesses to the event thought it might be a fatal incident.

Thankfully it sounds like the young man is doing ok considering the way it looked. I've never seen a pitcher drop like that before.

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Thankfully it sounds like the young man is doing ok considering the way it looked. I've never seen a pitcher drop like that before.

The worst part was seeing a tweet later on that his wife was at the game and was rushed down to the field. I can’t imagine what was going through her mind during that time too. 

Thankfully the Rays (and Bulls) have been giving updates and they are encouraging. You’re also right about Cumberland. 

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Here is the video.  Pitcherclips on Twitter: "Prayers out to Tyler Zombro, Triple-A pitcher for Tampa Bay. Hope he recovers ?? https://t.co/wN88qCCwng" / Twitter

Very scary.  One of these days pitchers will wear facemasks and we will wonder why it took so long.  

Damn that’s some scary stuff.  Hopefully he makes a full recovery. 

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Here is the video.  Pitcherclips on Twitter: "Prayers out to Tyler Zombro, Triple-A pitcher for Tampa Bay. Hope he recovers ?? https://t.co/wN88qCCwng" / Twitter

Very scary.  One of these days pitchers will wear facemasks and we will wonder why it took so long.  

Nah. This is pretty rare situation and everyone who pitches understands that's a possibility. They tried to come up with hat helmets a few years ago but almost no one wore one because they looked stupid.

This was an awful situation, but I don't see this changing any gear they wear.

On 6/4/2021 at 4:01 PM, Tony-OH said:

Nah. This is pretty rare situation and everyone who pitches understands that's a possibility. They tried to come up with hat helmets a few years ago but almost no one wore one because they looked stupid.

This was an awful situation, but I don't see this changing any gear they wear.

They wear masks in softball.  if you started in Little League kids would get used to it by the time they got to the majors.  it used to be that no one wore faceguards on batting helmets.  When I went to the Orioles game with the new nets I wondered why I had been so against them.  You may be right, but I could definitely see facemasks being more tenable than some sort of helmet.