Updated BA Top 100

VaBird1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s going to be hard for Westburg to crack the top 100, and for Kjerstad to remain in, with the draft upcoming. Crazy to think that one year after #2 overall that Kjerstad won’t be a “top 100” prospect. 

Yeah but not really, given what’s happened to him over the past year. 

Westburg might crack it, Bradish might too. And you can swap out Kjerstad with whoever we pick at 5 this year. 

Either way, I see us holding pretty steady with at least 5 in the top 100 until AR, Rodriguez and Hall graduate. 

• Like 1

Whatever Kjerstad becomes in offseason lists, he probably becomes it in AUG/SEP.    I'm glad he's exercising and tweeting, hopefully the road from there to playing a game isn't more than all summer long.    I agree he should be off lists if he simply can't play at all in 2021, for whatever the lists themselves are worth as banter fodder.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

In the original list he was listed as “Just outside” FWIW.  I’m excited about him.

I also wonder if Bradish is able to make these lists before he gets promoted to Baltimore. It doesn't really matter to me, at all, but he's nasty.

15 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s going to be hard for Westburg to crack the top 100, and for Kjerstad to remain in, with the draft upcoming. Crazy to think that one year after #2 overall that Kjerstad won’t be a “top 100” prospect. 

There are several prospects that will move off these lists. Some are in the major leagues, and some are under performing. And perhaps he is just a better player than many on the list right now. It won't bother me either way, but he is legitimate.

As far as Kjerstad, I could see him dropping off if he does not play. That would only be fair. He'll be back.

14 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I also wonder if Bradish is able to make these lists before he gets promoted to Baltimore. It doesn't really matter to me, at all, but he's nasty.

Perfect example of a guy where you can say, who cares if he’s not a top 100 guy.  When we grade trades for guys (let’s say Mancini), you don’t always have to get current top 100 guys to get good players.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 7:42 PM, Jammer7 said:

Westburg has to be getting close on these top 100’s. 

Westburg needs to start hitting at Aberdeen to merit being in the top 100.  Joey Ortiz is also 22 years old and he's hit very well at both Aberdeen and Bowie this year--maybe he should be in the conversation for top 100.  

12 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Westburg needs to start hitting at Aberdeen to merit being in the top 100.  Joey Ortiz is also 22 years old and he's hit very well at both Aberdeen and Bowie this year--maybe he should be in the conversation for top 100.  

Yeah, you’re right. Two mediocre weeks in Aberdeen. He’s a bust. ?

59 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Yeah, you’re right. Two mediocre weeks in Aberdeen. He’s a bust. ?

I didn’t see anyone call him a bust but if you are currently nit on top 100 list and you already got a promotion you need to hit at that level if you want to move up to the top 100.  You add in the draft next month putting another 10 guys or so on list it will be tough ask to move up.  

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

I didn’t see anyone call him a bust but if you are currently nit on top 100 list and you already got a promotion you need to hit at that level if you want to move up to the top 100.  You add in the draft next month putting another 10 guys or so on list it will be tough ask to move up.  

The post you quoted was humor, a joke. I was being mildly sarcastic. I thought it was obvious.

Give him some time to make some adjustments. Honestly, I don’t care if he makes it on some list or not. He is going to hit, hit for big power, and defend at an elite level. He will be a major league starting infielder (a 3B for me) within two years. He was in the “just missed” section of this list. So, he’s not far off at this moment. He does everything very well. His tools are undeniable, and his swing is going to work. When he refines the swing decisions, he’ll take off. And he is a better prospect than more than half of the infielders on that list, in my opinion. It is just a matter of time. 

It is a weaker draft. One of the weakest drafts in years. No real elite college bats, and not really any college middle infielders of note. The high school infielders will take a while. 

• Upvote 1

Well, I think Three Run Homer is right that we need to take the whole season to evaluate whether Westburg or Ortiz is the better prospect.   We challenged Ortiz a little by starting him in High A despite not playing above short season A in 2019 and not playing at the alternate site last summer.   He hit very well at Aberdeen and is doing a solid job in AA now.    With Westburg, a higher draft pick who did play at the alt site last summer, we gave him a conservative low A placement and he quickly showed he was too good for that level.  He’s finding High A more challenging in the early going.   So, I’d like to see how each of them perform at their current levels before evaluating which one is the better prospect, and how good of a prospect they are.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, I think Three Run Homer is right that we need to take the whole season to evaluate whether Westburg or Ortiz is the better prospect.   We challenged Ortiz a little by starting him in High A despite not playing above short season A in 2019 and not playing at the alternate site last summer.   He hit very well at Aberdeen and is doing a solid job in AA now.    With Westburg, a higher draft pick who did play at the alt site last summer, we gave him a conservative low A placement and he quickly showed he was too good for that level.  He’s finding High A more challenging in the early going.   So, I’d like to see how each of them perform at their current levels before evaluating which one is the better prospect, and how good of a prospect they are.   

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you and Three Run Homer. Ortiz was my pick to have a breakout year for the Orioles minor leagues. He is having a wonderful year so far, and that makes me smile. The power he has shown at Bowie is a welcome development. He'll have to continue to produce like he is for the remainder of the year to get on a top 100 list. I'm a fan of Joey Ortiz.

Tools wise, Westburg is certainly the superior prospect. He has struggled in the six games, 30 at bats, so far in Aberdeen. I think it is early to poo poo how he mashed in Delmarva. Lets see what adjustments and progress he makes in the next month or two, certainly. He will get back on track. If my memory is correct, isn't Aberdeen a park that does not yield a lot of home runs? 

Ortiz is likely a real candidate to be a SS at the major league level, while Westburg is likely a 3B.