Should the Orioles draft one of the Vanderbilt pitchers

Greenpastures23

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

Why do we want another first round catcher? That doesn’t work. You’ve got to have a catcher who is clearly better and a catcher who is clearly not as good. No team has a first round catcher as their back up. Not only is it a waste of resources, but the back up is going to scream that he’s a first rounder and should be starting.

It’s been said that his bat and athleticism plays well for RF. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

Why do we want another first round catcher? That doesn’t work. You’ve got to have a catcher who is clearly better and a catcher who is clearly not as good. No team has a first round catcher as their back up. Not only is it a waste of resources, but the back up is going to scream that he’s a first rounder and should be starting.

He's not really a catcher. You are drafting a bat. From what I have read, he likely would be a corner OFer or 1b. You are convinced he is a super plus bat which doesn't excite me. Much rather build around a SS (Mayer/Lawyer) or a stud SP like Leiter. But from all I have read, he is a very good bat. Haven't seen him play.

30 minutes ago, Philip said:

If you believe Davis is clearly the best player available, you take him.   You can always trade him later for something else you need.    That said, if there’s another player you like just about as well, you take that other guy.   By the way, in the Fangraphs mock they listed Davis in the Orioles spot but then described all the reasons they probably wouldn’t take him.  

EL: We have Davis’ name here because, in this scenario, he’d just be too strong a value to pass on. But the general sense from teams picking behind Baltimore is that they’d like to cut a high school bat. Mike Elias has usurped A.J. Preller as the GM scouts are most likely to eyeball at games, and this spring that has included House, Watson (whose name is mentioned at two, and then from here onward), Sal Frelick and Colton Cowser.

KG: When you have the best catching prospect in baseball, it feels a bit foolish to select Davis, but he’d be too hard to pass up at number five, and could move to first base or a corner outfield slot to just focus on the offensive ability. Plenty still think they’ll play it similarly to last year and cut a deal with an 8-15 range talent.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-mlb-mock-draft-one-month-to-go/

• Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you believe Davis is clearly the best player available, you take him.   You can always trade him later for something else you need.    That said, if there’s another player you like just about as well, you take that other guy.   By the way, in the Fangraphs mock they listed Davis in the Orioles spot but then described all the reasons they probably wouldn’t take him.  

EL: We have Davis’ name here because, in this scenario, he’d just be too strong a value to pass on. But the general sense from teams picking behind Baltimore is that they’d like to cut a high school bat. Mike Elias has usurped A.J. Preller as the GM scouts are most likely to eyeball at games, and this spring that has included House, Watson (whose name is mentioned at two, and then from here onward), Sal Frelick and Colton Cowser.

KG: When you have the best catching prospect in baseball, it feels a bit foolish to select Davis, but he’d be too hard to pass up at number five, and could move to first base or a corner outfield slot to just focus on the offensive ability. Plenty still think they’ll play it similarly to last year and cut a deal with an 8-15 range talent.

Well it seems that their issues with the pic are the same as mine, but I understand the logic of drafting him and then moving him somewhere else, but do we really need another first baseman outfielder combo?

I have no idea who is available, but I would love a solid left-handed starter or whoever is the next JJ Hardy.

Edited by Philip

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Honestly I am cool with Davis if they believe in his bat that much. But there are 4 must drafts, will at least one fall? Likely. Gotta get 1! Don’t underslot it! We need stars!

Leiter, Davis, Lawyer & Mayer. House too if they like him. Need a good SS! 

14 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Honestly I am cool with Davis if they believe in his bat that much. But there are 4 must drafts, will at least one fall? Likely. Gotta get 1! Don’t underslot it! We need stars!

Leiter, Davis, Lawyer & Mayer. House too if they like him. Need a good SS! 

I will say that it would suck if those are the first 4 players taken.  After those 4, it seems to be a bit of a crap Shoot.  Good talent but no consensus.  I will say that I don’t think I’ll be too happy if they go with one of the college OFers.

OTOh, it will suck if they aren’t the first 4 players and the Os pass on whose left anyway.

After reading a bit, I’m wondering why we should take House, who is a high risk 45 FV. Or did I read that wrong. Either first base or OF when we already have plenty of those? Why not take Lawler, who sounds like just exactly what we need?

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

After reading a bit, I’m wondering why we should take House, who is a high risk 45 FV. Or did I read that wrong. Either first base or OF when we already have plenty of those? Why not take Lawler, who sounds like just exactly what we need?

Because he’s more likely to go #1 than be there at 5.  I would hope they don’t pass on him if he is there.

19 hours ago, Philip said:

One would move to first base I'm sure so it's not like they would have one as a backup. I wouldn't be thrilled with drafting another catcher so high unless their are lingering concerns about Rutschman's shoulder and it's affect on his throwing.

I will say, Rutschman looks very smooth at 1B for a guy with limited experience there.