Should the Orioles draft one of the Vanderbilt pitchers

Greenpastures23

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

They do seam to be one dimensional when drafting position players.

Manny was the last true guy they drafted that could bat and field.

Not sure if that is truly all on them, or just a result of what is available.

I don't want anymore all hit, no field types unless they are going to be the next Vlad Guerrero Jr. as a hitter. 

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

People seem to be quick and dismissive in moving these guys to other positions on the field just to get their bat in the lineup.  Maybe this works? I don't know.  What I do know is that the Rays are one of the best teams in the league and have built a team around solid pitching and defense with rather pedestrian offensive numbers. Putting guys like Mountcastle in left field or Franco at third or Severino behind the plate or DJ Stewart in the field anywhere is not something the Rays do.  They have one of, if not the, best defense in the league playing behind one of the best staffs.  I would like to see a solid defensive team in Baltimore.  I hope the O's are drafting as much for defense and pitching as they are offense.

God I’ve been Preaching this gospel forever. The idea that a guy’s glove doesn’t matter if he hits well enough? That is so illogical. And then stock a team with the guys who “hit well enough” but don’t defend, and you end up with 47 wins.
If we’re going to keep Mountcastle, He better hit better than he’s been hitting, because he’s terrible in left and although currently above average in first, it remains to be seen if he’s going to keep that up. And if he’s a first baseman, he damn sure better hit well.

46 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

They do seam to be one dimensional when drafting position players.

Manny was the last true guy they drafted that could bat and field.

Not sure if that is truly all on them, or just a result of what is available.

orioles21_Adley-Rutschman-2-800x445.jpg

current

I can go on but I won't bother.

Still a lot of questions throughout the top 10.  Khalil Watson is a 5'9" 178 pound short stop generally rated around where Kjerstad was expected to go last year.  We'll draft him, he'll have mono and won't play til 2022; and the high school pitcher that we overslot in the 8th round will have his left arm fall off - and yes, he's left handed.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

orioles21_Adley-Rutschman-2-800x445.jpg

current

I can go on but I won't bother.

Lol, so yes, these are two drafts that are not one sided players.

Hopefully, they both will join the big league club and not be busts.

Until they do, I stand by Manny as the last real draft pick with plus bat and glove. 

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Still a lot of questions throughout the top 10.  Khalil Watson is a 5'9" 178 pound short stop generally rated around where Kjerstad was expected to go last year.  We'll draft him, he'll have mono and won't play til 2022; and the high school pitcher that we overslot in the 8th round will have his left arm fall off - and yes, he's left handed.

I saw that Mayo was also injured, but the injury itself was hiding behind a paywall.  How bad is Jomar, I mean Coby, hurt?

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Until they do, I stand by Manny as the last real draft pick with plus bat and glove. 

Yes, I hope AUSTIN HAYS joins the big league club and isn't a bust.

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

That’s fine but your stance is completely wrong.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It would be interesting in that we've never really seen this before. Two impact catchers sharing the position defensively while also getting regular PAs at 1B/DH. 

I wonder what was the best two-headed catcher tandem in history?   And I don’t mean Johnny Bench and whoever his backup was.  

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I saw that Mayo was also injured, but the injury itself was hiding behind a paywall.  How bad is Jomar, I mean Coby, hurt?

Sprained knee. Surgery not required; rest and rehab.

Orioles hoping he's ready either when the GCL season begins June 28 or within a week or so after that.

Edited by Paul in Virginia
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Ummm who else have we drafted recently who was equal parts glove and bat?

Well, most players aren’t “equal parts glove and bat”…in fact, iM not sure anyone is.

But they have guys who are good enough with one of them and even better with the other.  

And some of it is we are still finding out where guys can play long term.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, most players aren’t “equal parts glove and bat”…in fact, iM not sure anyone is.

But they have guys who are good enough with one of them and even better with the other.  

And some of it is we are still finding out where guys can play long term.

Guys who are plus with glove and bat are indeed rare. It remains to be seen whether we have drafted anyone since Manny who offers excellent defense AND excellent offense. Maybe AR will be the next but he isn’t yet.