Severino and DJ Stewart are hard to watch

accinfo

These two need to go.  This team is bad and we all know that but these guys defensively are both too bad to put up with any longer.  They can't hit either.  Stewart has a decent judgement of the strike zone but that is it.  Severino just isn't good at offense or defense.  I would rather have McKenna up here as a fourth outfielder.  He isn't going to hit either but I would rather lose with a guy who can catch the ball.  The same at the catcher position.  They need to send a message that they aren't going to put up with this any longer.  They make so so pitching worse.   I am still buying into the rebuild but they just can't keep throwing these guys out there.  I don't think it is about effort just skills.  It makes the Manager look bad and the General Manger needs to do something about it.  The win/loss record is not going to be pretty either way.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

These two need to go.  This team is bad and we all know that but these guys defensively are both too bad to put up with any longer.  They can't hit either.  Stewart has a decent judgement of the strike zone but that is it.  Severino just isn't good at offense or defense.  I would rather have McKenna up here as a fourth outfielder.  He isn't going to hit either but I would rather lose with a guy who can catch the ball.  The same at the catcher position.  They need to send a message that they aren't going to put up with this any longer.  They make so so pitching worse.   I am still buying into the rebuild but they just can't keep throwing these guys out there.  I don't think it is about effort just skills.  It makes the Manager look bad and the General Manger needs to do something about it.  The win/loss record is not going to be pretty either way.

But they are going to put up with it for at least the rest of the year.

It's pretty obvious that the O's view Severino as the everyday catcher on this team.  Are Hyde and Elias ever critical of him? 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But they are going to put up with it for at least the rest of the year.

It's pretty obvious that the O's view Severino as the everyday catcher on this team.  Are Hyde and Elias ever critical of him? 

I don't expect the General Manager or Manager to dress either down in public.  I don't think that is ever a good idea.  The manager has to play the players on his team.  The GM needs to send the right message.  

1 hour ago, accinfo said:

Agree about Severino, it’s an embarrassment. Unless he’s really good with the pitching staff, I see no reason he should play more than once a week. 

I’ve got a soft spot for DJ though, and don’t mind him playing 2-3 times a week. Would you rather watch McKenna? Diaz when he’s ready, sure, but there aren’t many better options in the minors right now who are ready.

And you raise an interesting point about Elias making Hyde look bad. Perhaps he’s determined  Hyde isn’t the guy to manage this team when (if) they are competitive. 

• Like 1

Stewart will get more time to figure it out as he can slide into the DH role, especially if Mancini is traded.  He has OBP potential, but he's having trouble hitting a good fastball. 

Catcher and second base have been black holes this year.  It might be time for Severino to go.  I think Jones and Cumberland should come up in July.  Wynns can stay too.  I still think Urias has some hit tool, but Jones is the better long term answer if he can stick.

Adley needs to stay in the minors for the whole season, but I think he needs to be the Opening Day catcher next season.  Catcher has been hard to watch the past few seasons.

8 minutes ago, joelala said:

Agree about Severino, it’s an embarrassment. Unless he’s really good with the pitching staff, I see no reason he should play more than once a week. 

I’ve got a soft spot for DJ though, and don’t mind him playing 2-3 times a week. Would you rather watch McKenna? Diaz when he’s ready, sure, but there aren’t many better options in the minors right now who are ready.

And you raise an interesting point about Elias making Hyde look bad. Perhaps he’s determined  Hyde isn’t the guy to manage this team when (if) they are competitive. 

DJ seems like a good guy but he isn't a good ball player.  Tonight if McKenna was in left field I think they win the game because he doesn't make that horrible throw.  Akin would have a much better pitching line.   

36 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Stewart will get more time to figure it out as he can slide into the DH role, especially if Mancini is traded.  He has OBP potential, but he's having trouble hitting a good fastball. 

Catcher and second base have been black holes this year.  It might be time for Severino to go.  I think Jones and Cumberland should come up in July.  Wynns can stay too.  I still think Urias has some hit tool, but Jones is the better long term answer if he can stick.

Adley needs to stay in the minors for the whole season, but I think he needs to be the Opening Day catcher next season.  Catcher has been hard to watch the past few seasons.

The prospect of Mancini getting traded is why you keep Stewart around in addition to his OBP skills. I would have had Severino off the team yesterday, but he's likely around the whole season because of his guaranteed contract.  

9 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Jones is not a good defensive 2nd baseman at this point.

I know DJ is a slow runner, but it is possible it would be better for him to run every ball in and hand it to an infield than to ever make a throw again. Usually guys with that weak an arm can at least throw is straight. Worst ML OF'er I have ever seen, and he can't hit either.

28 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I know DJ is a slow runner, but it is possible it would be better for him to run every ball in and hand it to an infield than to ever make a throw again. Usually guys with that weak an arm can at least throw is straight. Worst ML OF'er I have ever seen, and he can't hit either.

If you think he’s the worst ML OFer you have ever seen, you either haven’t paid attention, haven’t watched much baseball or you need glasses.

• Upvote 1

I will be glad when we don't have more posts that acknowledge this season doesn't matter but advocate that we should make holes in the roster and organization by releasing guys with track records of solid offensive production.

Do you want to build with stronger defensive players?  Of course.  Does that have to be now? No.

No team has 9 gold glove players.  But you do need a team that has a solid lineup.

• Upvote 1

I really don’t understand why Severino is here.  I get the finances and maybe that’s the only reason because he doesn’t do anything well right now.  

In the past, he has hit some and that has gotten him a spot on the roster but if he’s not hitting, he’s worthless.

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you think he’s the worst ML OFer you have ever seen, you either haven’t paid attention, haven’t watched much baseball or you need glasses.

That was typical negative hyperbole from webbrick2010, but there’s no doubt Stewart Is a well below average outfielder and that he’s having a particularly bad week.    

11 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Do you think he'll be able to hit a good fastball if he doesn't have to play in the field?

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I really don’t understand why Severino is here.  I get the finances and maybe that’s the only reason because he doesn’t do anything well right now.  

In the past, he has hit some and that has gotten him a spot on the roster but if he’s not hitting, he’s worthless.

Same as Harvey, Galvis, and Franco. Plugging holes while giving guys with some level of success a chance to see if they have any trade value. I think most will be gone after the trade deadline whether we get anything back or not. Pedro had 1 WAR in the short season last year plus 1 WAR over a full season in 2019 so you could make a case he was a viable player going into this year.