2008 draft - fantasy prospects

Oh yeah I did. I'll put Holt on my short list with Friedrich, Chisenhall, Gillaspie, Kelly, Mike Montgomery, Lobstein, Decker (do you know anything about him?)

My bullpen is fine. I have Lidge, Capps, and Balfour, with Meloan, Mickolio, and Erbe waiting in the wings. Two closers will get you 20+ pts out of 30 in our league.

Crow was selected by a team that is "rebuilding" so sticking him on his minor league roster won't affect him. It's been done by a few teams in the past. I wouldn't do it if because my minor league roster is always changing and we're limited by roster size.

Edit: Forgot that Cole did sign. He could be a potential draft pick to keep on the minor league roster.

Here's what BA had to say about him pre-2008 draft:

Decker looks like a younger version of Matt Stairs with a compact, strong body, and he's earned comparisons to the Canadian slugger as well, though Decker throws lefthanded. Scouts mean the comparison as a compliment, because Decker can really hit. The best thing about being a 5-foot-10 slugger is that Decker is short to the ball and has an easy feel for hitting, generating easy above-average power with a quick, strong swing. He's a baseball player and grinder who has become an area scout's favorite. His arm is his next-best tool after his bat, as he's thrown a no-hitter this spring, occasionally visits the low-90s with his fastball and spins a solid-average breaking ball. If he doesn't make it as a hitter, he definitely has a shot to become a lefthanded reliever, and if he winds up at Arizona State he could become a three-year, two-way star. His body leaves no room for projection, but he has one of the better now bats in the high school draft class. Decker's a second-round bat but probably fits lower on most boards due to his small stature.

Maybe I'm biased, but I liked him a lot coming out of HS, like everything I read about him, and he certainly didn't disappoint in his first summer of pro ball.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In case you were wondering, here's what BA had to say about Holt pre-draft:

Holt emerged this spring as the ace of a surging Seahawks baseball team. His fastball has improved since arriving in Wilmington and now sits between 92-94 mph, touching 96. Not only does he have a big arm, but he is able to maintain his velocity deep into games. However, the major difference between this year's Holt from the past is his vastly improved command. Holt at 6-foot-4, 195 pounds, has a perfect pro body with a clean delivery and a first-round arm. He is coordinated and athletic on the mound, attacking hitters with his fastball. The only thing holding him back is the lack of a usable secondary pitch. He offers a slider with loose spin and tends to slow his body and arm down when throwing it. Even though his secondary stuff is in need of refinement, teams will not walk away from the pro body, strong arm and life on the fastball.

Like I said before, reports since then have him firming up his slider, which could heavily impact his future role and his ETA.

Here's what BA had to say about him pre-2008 draft:

Maybe I'm biased, but I liked him a lot coming out of HS, like everything I read about him, and he certainly didn't disappoint in his first summer of pro ball.

Yeah when you have 18XBH and 55 walks in your first 200PA, you have to take notice. This kid seems like someone who will move quickly too.

I'll probably take him with my pick and then take a SP with my 2nd pick.

Ok, now you have me living vicariously through you :o

How'd the end of that round finish up?

And you want to take a SP with your 2nd pick? I don't know why I didn't think of him earlier, but I'm curious as to how far Tim Melville will slide.

Ok, now you have me living vicariously through you :o

How'd the end of that round finish up?

And you want to take a SP with your 2nd pick? I don't know why I didn't think of him earlier, but I'm curious as to how far Tim Melville will slide.

1. Toronto Blue Jays - Pedro Alvarez, 3B, PIT

2. Kansas City Royals - Tim Beckham, SS, TB

3. Cincinnati Reds - Eric Hosmer, 1B, KC

4. Houston Astros - Buster Posey, C, SF

5. Atlanta Braves - Brian Matusz, P, BAL

6. New York Yankees - Gordon Beckham, SS, CHW

7. San Diego Padres - Aaron Crow, RHP, WAS

8. Seattle Mariners - Justin Smoak, 1B, TEX

9. New York Mets - Yonder Alonso, 1B, CIN

10. Colorado Rockies - Brett Wallace 3B, STL

11. Boston Red Sox (from OAK) - Kyle Skipworth, C, FLA

12. New York Yankees (from SF) - David Cooper, 1B, TOR

13. Detroit Tigers - Isaac Davis, 1B, NYM

14. Anaheim Angels - Aaron Hicks, OF, MIN

15. Chicago Cubs - Brett Lawrie, C, MIL

16. Boston Red Sox (from CLE) - Jemile Weeks, 2B, Oak

17. Texas Rangers - Ethan Martin, SP, LAD

18. Milwaukee Brewers - David "Reese" Havens, SS, NYM

19. Tampa Bay Devil Rays - Zach Collier, OF PHI

20. Chicago White Sox - Jason Castro, C, HOU

21. Baltimore Orioles - Anthony Hewitt, SS, PHIL

22. Kansas City Royals (from LA) - Steven Hunt, P, MIN

23. New York Mets (from MIN) - Conor M. Gillaspie, 3B, SF

24. Texas Rangers (from MON) - Allan Dykstra, 1B, SD

25. New York Mets (from FLA) - Tim Melville, P, KC

26. Texas Rangers (from PHI) - Christian Friedrich, SP, COL

27. Saint Louis Cardinals - Jaff Decker, OF, SD

28. New York Mets (from ARI) - Dennis Raben, OF, SEA

29. Seattle Mariners (from BOS)

30. Texas Rangers (from PIT)

Seattle has been on the clock for a couple days now so I'm growing impatient. The 2nd round is always interesting because you can tell if guys are actually doing research.

Can't believe Hewitt and Dykstra went in the first round.

Like I said earlier, some of these guys aren't doing much research.

Odorizzi, Schlereth, Raben and Holt have all gone recently. I'm a little surprised Schlereth went before Perry and Cashner.

• 2 weeks later...

I just traded up to the 41st pick. I've been trying to move up to take Mike Montgomery, P, KC. Do you guys see anybody I might be missing that I should take instead?

ROUND 1

1. Toronto Blue Jays - Pedro Alvarez, 3B, PIT

2. Kansas City Royals - Tim Beckham, SS, TB

3. Cincinnati Reds - Eric Hosmer, 1B, KC

4. Houston Astros - Buster Posey, C, SF

5. Atlanta Braves - Brian Matusz, P, BAL

6. New York Yankees - Gordon Beckham, SS, CHW

7. San Diego Padres - Aaron Crow, RHP, WAS

8. Seattle Mariners - Justin Smoak, 1B, TEX

9. New York Mets - Yonder Alonso, 1B, CIN

10. Colorado Rockies - Brett Wallace 3B, STL

11. Boston Red Sox (from OAK) - Kyle Skipworth, C, FLA

12. New York Yankees (from SF) - David Cooper, 1B, TOR

13. Detroit Tigers - Isaac Davis, 1B, NYM

14. Anaheim Angels - Aaron Hicks, OF, MIN

15. Chicago Cubs - Brett Lawrie, C, MIL

16. Boston Red Sox (from CLE) - Jemile Weeks, 2B, Oak

17. Texas Rangers - Ethan Martin, SP, LAD

18. Milwaukee Brewers - David "Reese" Havens, SS, NYM

19. Tampa Bay Devil Rays - Zach Collier, OF PHI

20. Chicago White Sox - Jason Castro, C, HOU

21. Baltimore Orioles - Anthony Hewitt, SS, PHIL

22. Kansas City Royals (from LA) - Steven Hunt, P, MIN

23. New York Mets (from MIN) - Conor M. Gillaspie, 3B, SF

24. Texas Rangers (from MON) - Allan Dykstra, 1B, SD

25. New York Mets (from FLA ) - Tim Melville, P, KC

26. Texas Rangers (from PHI) - Christian Friedrich, SP, COL

27. Saint Louis Cardinals - Jaff Decker, OF, SD

28. New York Mets (from ARI) - Dennis Raben, OF, SEA

29. Seattle Mariners (from BOS) - Charlie Blackmon, OF, COL

30. Texas Rangers (from PIT) - Jacob Odorizzi, SP, MIL

ROUND 2

31. Toronto Blue Jays - Daniel Schlereth, RP , AZ

32. Kansas City Royals - Brad Holt, P, NYM

33. Cincinnati Reds - Casey Kelly, SS, BOS

34. Houston Astros - Lonnie Chisenhall, SS, CLE

35. Boston Red Sox (from ATL) - Ryan Perry, P, DET

36. New York Yankees - Brett Devall, P, ATL

37. San Diego Padres - Andrew Cashner, P, CHC

38. Seattle Mariners - Gerrit Cole, P, NYY

39. New York Mets - Josh Fields, P, SEA

40. Colorado Rockies

41. St. Louis Cardinals (from OAK)

42. Toronto Blue Jays (from SF)

43. Detroit Tigers

44. Texas Rangers (from ANA)

45. Chicago Cubs

46. Cleveland Indians

47. Texas Rangers

48. Milwaukee Brewers

49. Tampa Bay Devil Rays

50. Chicago White Sox

51. Baltimore Orioles

52. New York Mets (from LA)

53. New York Yankees (from MIN)

54. Pittsburgh Pirates (from MON)

55. Florida Marlins

56. Boston Red Sox (from PHI)

57. Toronto Blue Jays (from STL)

58. Seattle Mariners (from ARI)

59. St. Louis Cardinals (from BOS)

60. New York Mets (from PIT)

I just traded up to the 41st pick. I've been trying to move up to take Mike Montgomery, P, KC. Do you guys see anybody I might be missing that I should take instead?

I wouldn't argue against Montgomery, but here a few other guys to consider.

Robbie Ross - LHP Texas

BA comment:

Kentucky offers its best draft crop ever this year, and its high school class is especially deep with four prospects with the talent to go in the top two rounds. The best of that contingent is Ross, a lefty with pitches and polish. He sits at 90-92 mph and touched 94 with his fastball, and his secondary pitches and command are just as impressive. He shows a hard slider and nice feel for a changeup, and he pounds the strike zone. The only knock on Ross is that he's just 6 feet tall, but he generates his quality stuff via athleticism and arm speed, rather than effort.

Zeke Spruill - RHP Atlanta

BA comment:

Spruill has a fluid delivery that is clean and repeatable. He has been up to 93 mph and pitches at 91-92. His fastball has life with sink and is a plus pitch. Commanding all three pitches, Spruill also throws a curveball with slurvy action and a changeup. At 6-foot-4 and 184 pounds, Spruill has a pitcher's body with athleticism and projection. Scouts feel he could pitch closer to 93-94 by the time he reaches the big leagues. A Georgia commit, Spruill is known as a competitor and a winner with plus makeup.

Stephen Fife - RHP Boston

BA comment:

His fastball sits in the 89-92 mph range and has touched 95, and he's shown the ability to maintain velocity deep into games, with several 93s in the eighth inning of a recent start. Fife throws two breaking balls, a true curveball he can bury or throw for strikes and a decent, early-count slider. His changeup also shows good sink, though he could refine his location and arm speed with the pitch.

Niko Vasquez - SS St. Louis

Most don't see him sticking at shortstop, but the guy has a good line drive swing and has played well so far. I think I would still take one of the upside pitchers above.

I think I would prefer the players in this order:

Montgomery, Fife, Ross, Spruill, Vazquez.

I could flip-flop on that order the more I think about it, but I'll stick with that for now.

One of my concerns with Fife is that he pitched in relief for the Sox this summer. I believe his future is in the rotation, so I expect that it was only to control his innings after already pitching a full season in college. If you decided to take him, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check up on that, though. If the Sox aren't sure if they want him as a starter, then Ross definitely leaps over him, IMO.

EDIT: of course, you could always go the "homer" route and take Robert Bundy! :)

Thinking back to some of Stotle's original recommendations, Roger Kieschnick is still available per your last update and could be a good value - maybe for your 3rd pick. He played in the HWL and showed off his plus power, but strikeouts remain a big problem. I'm usually not a big fan of players like him (ones with contact issues), but he has good tools everywhere else so he's worth taking a flier on at this point.

Robbie Ross was mentioned with the last question in today's chat, but it wasn't encouraging.

Q: Ben from Leland Grove asks:

Did 2008 draft picks Robbie Ross and Tim Murphy make your top 30? Seems as though lefties aren't a rare commodity in this system. Which one ranked ahead of the other, and why?

A: Aaron Fitt: Both made the top 30, in the 20s. Ross has the higher ceiling but was not overly impressive after signing -- he did not show the kind of explosive stuff scouts saw from him this spring in high school. Murphy is a safer bet but doesn't have as much upside. Expect Murphy to fly through the system next year thanks to his competitiveness and quality fastball-curveball attack. He lacks a quality changeup and I see him as a reliever at the major league level, but his curveball eats up lefthanded hitters.

Robbie Ross was mentioned with the last question in today's chat, but it wasn't encouraging.

Yeah, Ross would have to be taken with an eye to the future. I'm not too concerned about his stuff being a little "down" in his first pro season. Let's see what he looks like next year -- love his repeatable delivery and advanced feel for secondary stuff. Good foundation to build upon.

Yeah, Ross would have to be taken with an eye to the future. I'm not too concerned about his stuff being a little "down" in his first pro season. Let's see what he looks like next year -- love his repeatable delivery and advanced feel for secondary stuff. Good foundation to build upon.

Yeah, I guess you're right. There definitely isn't anything to get too concerned with just yet. The upside is still there.

I think I was a little surprised to see that Ross is being ranked in the 20's in Texas' system, too. Even with his disappointing "first taste", that's a testament to the strength of the Rangers' system.

Archived