Dilon Tate Is Bringing The Heat!

Il BuonO

7 hours ago, byrdz said:

His fastball was in the mid-90’s. Highest I saw was 96 a handful of times including in the last ab. He had a hit by pitch. But looked great otherwise and seems confident right now. 

Yesterday's 2.67 hitless innings were an ordeal for Tate, but he got through it splendidly. You can tell at the end of the Highlights compilation by Tate's body language after the final out and Wynns' quietly sympathetic look:

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/orioles-vs-astros/2021/06/29/633449?bt_ee=GDuJEqgGU8H1yndDUbhemj6CKiH7tbV0edGCZ14eFTwog7wbZc4Ipmc2pKW8g+n7&bt_ts=1625058373234&partnerId=zh-20210630-431626-MLB-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20210630-431626-MLB-1-A#game_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=633449

In the post-game presser, Hyde made sure to praise how well Wynns handled the pitchers. He seems relieved to have him as an alternative to Severino and not have to rely on Sisco anymore.

Did anyone else get a kick out of Tate’s habit of pacing in the dugout when the O’s were at bat?   And those were two very long innings for the O’s offense.   I’m not a Scott Garceau fan but he had a pretty good time with it.   I believe he said Tate was pacing for 23 minutes during the top of the 8th, and suggested that maybe he was wearing one of those watches that tracks your walking mileage.  

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Touched 96 last night, but sat mostly 94-95. I don’t mind the fluctuations in velocity because he has more of an arsenal than do most relievers. Gave up a tough out to Cabrera and then bounced one with a guy on 3B. Don’t do that when Severino is catching, Tate!

Seriously, I’ve never seen a catcher who lazily reaches for more balls in the dirt than Severino. The WP was only a foot in front of him and to the right and should have been easily blocked, but Pedro tried to backhand it. Of course, it skipped away. I know, shocking right? And that’s my weekly rant on the worst catcher in baseball. 

Ok, back to Tate....good job. 

?

• Upvote 1

Hyde said he didn't like the slider that he got away with to Cabrera and thought he should have just pounded "97 mph sinkers". I tend to agree.

This marks the second time in recent games where Hyde has questioned the pitch calling. Both times Sevvy was catching. But it could also be a criticism towards the pitcher as well 

in the category of Dumb Fantasy Question plus Haha Who Watches the MLB Product despite talking Orioles daily here, do people who are more tuned in think Tate is the closer now?   And would have been last night had Scott not mucked up the 8th inning, etc?

Basically, was Sulser the closer or only just an understudy last night since Tate had to clean up a mess?

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

in the category of Dumb Fantasy Question plus Haha Who Watches the MLB Product despite talking Orioles daily here, do people who are more tuned in think Tate is the closer now?   And would have been last night had Scott not mucked up the 8th inning, etc?

Basically, was Sulser the closer or only just an understudy last night since Tate had to clean up a mess?

I think it's gonna be going between Tate, Sulser, and Fry. But no, there's no real feeling that Tate is THE closer right now. I think Hyde would like that to be the case though so he might get the most looks first.

With that said, I always get the visitors feed when I watch games, and the visiting announcers have been praising Tate highly for several weeks now.

It seems like his stuff has improved, notably his velocity.

I think the has  ML future in a bullpen, but I don't believe he will ever be an impact late-inning one.

I want to go on record saying that I think Tate is developing into a solid back end bullpen guy.  Over his last 23 appearances dating back to June 5, he has a 2.96 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 9.9 K/9.    Previously, he’s always had limited success at missing bats, but he seems to be gaining confidence and figuring things out.   He’s under control for four more years after this one, and in my mind can be a contributor to our next contending team.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I want to go on record saying that I think Tate is developing into a solid back end bullpen guy.  Over his last 23 appearances dating back to June 5, he has a 2.96 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 9.9 K/9.    Previously, he’s always had limited success at missing bats, but he seems to be gaining confidence and figuring things out.   He’s under control for four more years after this one, and in my mind can be a contributor to our next contending team.  

Agreed. He looks like he’s trusting the FB more and that’s good. He’s at 95-98 mph with good armside run and sink. It’s a nasty pitch. He can throw it down and in to a RHB or really anywhere to lefty. 

On 7/31/2021 at 2:26 PM, interloper said:

I think it's gonna be going between Tate, Sulser, and Fry. But no, there's no real feeling that Tate is THE closer right now. I think Hyde would like that to be the case though so he might get the most looks first.

It really does depend on the day, but all things being equal, I think it's Sulser's job to lose, and he will likely lose it - but he's had a nice year, and so have Tate and Fry.  

On 7/31/2021 at 1:00 PM, OrioleDog said:

Tyler Wells was just about to move into the "closer role", it looked like, when he went on the IL.

Now will that change when he coms off the IL, which appears to be fairly imminent???

Tate, Sulser, Fry and Wells are guys I can see forming part of a good bullpen.  

As to Scott, he’s either dominant or worthless, depending on the day.   To me, he’s OK as a 6th/7th inning guy but you have to be ready to pull the plug at a moment’s notice.    I don’t trust him in high leverage situations.