Dilon Tate Is Bringing The Heat!

Il BuonO

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And yet he doesn’t miss bats and Ks hitters at relatively low rate.

It's obviously a bit early to tell whether he's a player that can get outs without Ks, but his exit velocity and barrel numbers are quite good.  Barrel rate for pitchers doesn't stabilize much until 400 BIP but EV allowed stabilizes after 40 balls in play, and old data tends to be less predictive, so I think it's a good data point in favor of Tate.

A side note, but I've always felt that FIP and McCracken's thoughts on a pitcher's ability to influence balls in play were a crock of poop, and I'm glad that we increasingly have data that can tell different narratives.

• Upvote 1

We don’t know if Tate was the best that DD could get. What we do know is that PA vetoed a 2017 trade of Britton that would’ve brought back Colin Moran. He’s 0-2 in terms of bringing back anything good. 

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Great...that is the exception to how he has pitched in the majors so far.  

Love the arm, love the upside but he has been extremely meh at this level.  Not much to believe that he is more than a dime a dozen guy that you keep around until he starts getting expensive.

Hopefully he improves and changes that but that is what he is now.

And I agree with that. However, that is why I found his last appearance unique to date.

I’ve always liked the stuff, especially his movement, but the command has been lacking and he’s never showed velocity like that. 

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

And I agree with that. However, that is why I found his last appearance unique to date.

I’ve always liked the stuff, especially his movement, but the command has been lacking and he’s never showed velocity like that. 

I was a big fan of his and had high hopes.  I have greatly lowered my expectations though.  Not a lost cause and I don’t think he’s terrible and he certainly should be here pitching but I don’t think I believe in him as a long term fixture in the pen.

I thought he could be a very good 70-100 inning type reliever.  I don’t have those hopes anymore.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I was a big fan of his and had high hopes.  I have greatly lowered my expectations though.  Not a lost cause and I don’t think he’s terrible and he certainly should be here pitching but I don’t think I believe in him as a long term fixture in the pen.

I thought he could be a very good 70-100 inning type reliever.  I don’t have those hopes anymore.

Eh, I think there’s still time for him to live up to those hopes. He has always passed the eye test for me as well.   Maybe someone saw something mechanically and he’s made a slight tweak and gained some velocity and more importantly for him, command? I’ve watched him a few times this year and felt he pretty much had no idea where the ball was going. If he’s figured something out, I think that changes his profile quite a bit. Stranger things have certainly happened. See: Cedric Mullins. 

8 minutes ago, joelala said:

Eh, I think there’s still time for him to live up to those hopes. He has always passed the eye test for me as well.   Maybe someone saw something mechanically and he’s made a slight tweak and gained some velocity and more importantly for him, command? I’ve watched him a few times this year and felt he pretty much had no idea where the ball was going. If he’s figured something out, I think that changes his profile quite a bit. Stranger things have certainly happened. See: Cedric Mullins. 

The hope I have is the technology and other things the organization is using can find something because the arm is certainly there.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Shrug.   I think Dan had plenty of cred with ownership in 2012-14.   I’m sure he lost some when he tried to bolt for Toronto.    But to me I’ve never had the sense that it impacted trades much.  I put the Feldman, Norris and Parra trades squarely on Dan’s shoulders, as well as the 2018 deadline deals.    Also the Miller trade, which most people (including you) liked but I didn’t.   

I think Buck (or Brady) was more involved in some of the decisions about free agents, including our own players that we re-signed.   

Dan had plenty of cred and was GM of the year in 2014. He did not try to bolt to Toronto, he was approached by the deposed Executive of Rogers Communication, after a recommendation by a member of the Board of the NY Yankees recommended him to Rogers. Dan was offered a Head of baseball Operations position significantly higher than a GM, would have controlled Rogers Center and had a GM for the BJs under him and earned like 4X the money. He reported the overture to PA and got put on ice and basically neutered. SG is right, after that Dan lost cred with PA and Buck and Brady drove the Warehouse decisions. Believe what you want about DD's decisions but after 2014 he wasn't in charge anymore, despite the title.

• Upvote 1

Good performance tonight.   The 5K Sunday was an attention grabber, so I was more interested than usual to see him pitch and the main thing I took was Jim being pretty chipper when he came in, describing how good he'd been looking, mentioning the cameras helping.

He was clearly gassed in the 9th, but got through - his body language the whole long outing did give the impression of being excited/confident about having figured something out.

My main takeaway from cherry picking the AL relievers last few weeks (Tate was about 30th in K-BB% in his good stretch) was just how good Tyler Wells has been, right there with the very best relievers in the league most of the month.

• Upvote 1