Dilon Tate Is Bringing The Heat!

Il BuonO

Just now, jabba72 said:

2 innings 5 K's no walks yesterday. 

Great...that is the exception to how he has pitched in the majors so far.  

Love the arm, love the upside but he has been extremely meh at this level.  Not much to believe that he is more than a dime a dozen guy that you keep around until he starts getting expensive.

Hopefully he improves and changes that but that is what he is now.

Tate can pitch to some contact with that sinking fastball.  K's aren't the end all be all. I think he's been okay as a middle reliever.  If he's sitting in the high 90's though that could now make him much more valuable and a potential high leverage arm.   I'd expect to see that K rate climb. 

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Tate can pitch to some contact with that sinking fastball.  K's aren't the end all be all. I think he's been okay as a middle reliever.  If he's sitting in the high 90's though that could now make him much more valuable and a potential high leverage arm.   I'd expect to see that K rate climb. 

He’s not going to be a high leverage arm if he isn’t missing bats and getting Ks.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He’s not going to be a high leverage arm if he isn’t missing bats and getting Ks.

If he can sustain the velocity increase I would expect him to miss more bats going forward.  He's already effective at limiting the home runs. 

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, DD took him because he was the best player he could get in a trade for a rental reliever who had been hurt and wasn't performing great at the time.

Was he the best player Dan could get? We will never know, but I stand by my contention. Tate was appealing Because of his single-digit draft pick status, and it is entirely possible that, because of that status, Dan took him over someone who might’ve been better. Same reason he took Ortiz.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

I mean, you can do both. I think he can be a decent 7th inning guy a la Brad Brach. I don't think he is a shutdown setup man or closer. 

Brach was an exceptional reliever for a while.  Tate has a ways to go to be at his level imo.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Was he the best player Dan could get? We will never know, but I stand by my contention. Tate was appealing Because of his single-digit draft pick status, and it is entirely possible that, because of that status, Dan took him over someone who might’ve been better. Same reason he took Ortiz.

You have zero proof, evidence or anything like that to back it up.  You can stand by your contention but that’s like me saying I stand by that Paige Spirnac wants to have my child. There is as much evidence to support that as you have for this.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You have zero proof, evidence or anything like that to back it up.  You can stand by your contention but that’s like me saying I stand by that Paige Spirnac wants to have my child. There is as much evidence to support that as you have for this.

No, my contention is based on other awful trades Dan made. I am not postulating on nothing, and anyone who can read and write should know that.

It is also based on human nature: given two guys with equal track records, it is not just logical but expected that you’re going to have more interest in the one with the better pedigree.

Also, given two guys, one with a shiny draft slot and the other with slightly better performance than the other, or who is slightly younger, it is logical that the draft Pedegree would influence the decision, especially if you’re in a hurry,And your organization doesn’t involve any meaningful advanced analysts.

So it should be clear to almost anyone(don’t you love being exceptional?) that my contention is entirely plausible.

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

and he probably believes the world is still flat LMFAO

:) :) :)

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't even know what you're arguing for or against there - seems like you're doing it for the sake of arguing - though Paige would make an outstanding swing coach.  

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Philip said:

Contend all you want, but we have no idea what alternatives were discussed or made available.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Contend all you want, but we have no idea what alternatives were discussed or made available.   

Sure I understand that, though SG does not.

When we are on the outside looking in, we have to make assumptions based on the available evidence, however sparse, and there is some available evidence to wit, human nature, as I said, Lack of any meaningful Statisticians on staff at the time, a time crunch, and the chance to present a first round draft pick to the public instead of a less glamorous choice, even if that less glamorous choice might have better performance.

Any reasonable third-party would accept that I am basing my contention on something concrete.