Astros-Orioles tonight

Explosivo

21 hours ago, Explosivo said:

I’ll be at the game with my paw. Lord grant us strength! Big Tom vs Greinke, can we pull off the miracle of miracles? It’d be neat to see!

I assume you've changed any plans you might have had and will be on hand fof the next couple of games, doing whatever it is you did last night.

Thanks in advance.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, this has absolutely nothing to do with your point about needing #1 overall picks.  

Secondly, Elias has made several solid trades and brought in a few good draft classes.  He hasn't been allowed to spend in FA as of yet.

So paying the Angels for them to use a vet pitcher, when they dont come close to having 5 arms to throw, is a solid trade.

He has made trades with a look to the future.

But you are like CoC, anything at all, we say, you will find fault with and disagree with and be quick to point out how wrong we are.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So paying the Angels for them to use a vet pitcher, when they dont come close to having 5 arms to throw, is a solid trade.

He has made trades with a look to the future.

But you are like CoC, anything at all, we say, you will find fault with and disagree with and be quick to point out how wrong we are.

Well, yes, if you are wrong, I will point it out.   It’s called a discussion and that’s what this board is about.

You essentially said we need high draft picks (#1 picks) to be good again.  That’s wrong.  It’s not an opinion, it’s just factually incorrect.  

There are several teams that draft low every year and still put out a competitive product.  This idea that we have to suck for years and draft in the top 5 or higher to get back to the level of contention is totally inaccurate.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Apparently, nothing!

Gotta love baseball. lol 

Actually, a good bit went wrong but the Orioles were able to pull it out. 

Hyde burnt through his entire bullpen that was available. Tanner Scott showed he can't be trusted because he's a box of chocolates, you never quite know what you are going to get. Fry was pretty bad and his slider has little bite without his sticky stuff.

Thankfully the hitters had the big 9th inning or the pen would have blown it. Right now, other than Tyler Wells and maybe Dillon Tate, who do you trust out in the pen?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Gotta love baseball. lol 

Actually, a good bit went wrong but the Orioles were able to pull it out. 

Hyde burnt through his entire bullpen that was available. Tanner Scott showed he can't be trusted because he's a box of chocolates, you never quite know what you are going to get. Fry was pretty bad and his slider has little bite without his sticky stuff.

Thankfully the hitters had the big 9th inning or the pen would have blown it. Right now, other than Tyler Wells and maybe Dillon Tate, who do you trust out in the pen?

Scott has gotten into 35 games and was scored on in 7 of those games.

He has only been scored on twice since May 26 and has allowed just 1 homer all year.  He has also only given up 20 hits in 29 innings.

Obviously, the issue is the walks but his K numbers and lack of homers and hits allowed do help make up for that.  

Overall, my confidence is pretty high with him and feel he is the best option we have out of the pen in most situations.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

He has only been scored on twice since May 26 and has allowed just 1 homer all year.  He has also only given up 20 hits in 29 innings.

Obviously, the issue is the walks but his K numbers and lack of homers and hits allowed do help make up for that.  

Overall, my confidence is pretty high with him and feel he is the best option we have out of the pen in most situations.

I don't know about Scott being the "best option in most situations," but he is better than the box of chocolates he was compared to earlier in the thread. Shawn Armstrong: Now that was a box of chocolates.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Not me. Can't trust a guy who can come in the game and totally have no idea how to throw a strike. His walk rate is ridiculous once again and last night is a perfect example of how stats can be skewed as he walks three to push it two earned runs for the previous pitcher but gets charged with no earned runs because Wells saved his and the Orioles butt. 

You wanna trust a guy with an awful 8.1 BB/9 feel free. I personally don't want him anywhere near a high leverage situation unless it's a situation where a lefty is up and the situation calls for a strikeout. 

He's been a big disappointment this year after he looked like he took a step forward last year. Now we know that was mirage and he's probably always going to be a box of chocolate pitcher.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

This could turn out to be very problematic for us.   And for a lot of other teams.   

Better to address this now, but this will kill any pitcher's trade value if they can't pitch well without using spider tack. At least Fry hasn't signed a multi-year contract based on his ability to pitch with spider tack. 

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not me. Can't trust a guy who can come in the game and totally have no idea how to throw a strike. His walk rate is ridiculous once again and last night is a perfect example of how stats can be skewed as he walks three to push it two earned runs for the previous pitcher but gets charged with no earned runs because Wells saved his and the Orioles butt. 

You wanna trust a guy with an awful 8.1 BB/9 feel free. I personally don't want him anywhere near a high leverage situation unless it's a situation where a lefty is up and the situation calls for a strikeout. 

He's been a big disappointment this year after he looked like he took a step forward last year. Now we know that was mirage and he's probably always going to be a box of chocolate pitcher.

That’s fair but when you miss bats and  get Ks at a high rate and you don’t give up hits and homers, you can mask some BB issues

Now, the walk rate is stupid high and that obviously can’t last but I tend to think it won’t either.  He can be a 4-5 BB rate guy and be very good.  He can’t be elite though.

I will say that I did say most situations and I don’t love the idea of bringing him in with 2 or 3 runners on base, at least not right now (he can change that narrative). A K can always help in those situations but the wildness concerns me as well.