I think Roberts will be traded...

LookinUp

The other Chicago team makes sense.

I like the idea of Intimidator in the other thread...Essentially a 3 team trade:

Orioles get:

Hardy

Vazquez

Swisher

Getz

Brewers get:

Guthrie

Sherrill

Chicago gets:

BRob

Hall

That 3 team trade makes a lot of sense IMO. The White Sox get what they want, in terms of getting more athletic and they fill 2 holes.

The Brewers get the cheap, established starter that they seem to covet and they get the closer they need.

The Orioles replace Guthrie with a better pitcher(IMO), add a top SS, a very good bat in Swisher and a solid second base prospect.

Our payroll doesn't go up too much and we still have plenty of money to go after Tex.

This allows us to deal Huff and Scott, concentrating on trying to get a long term answer at third and/or some more arms.

That does seem reasonable, although I think the Brewers can do better for Hardy.

I also don't agree that Vazquez is better than Guthrie. Yes, he has better peripherals, but he's only been above league average in terms of ERA+ once in the last 5 years, while Guthrie has been at 125 in both of his seasons. If a guy is consistently underperfoming compared to his peripherals, that needs to be heavily considered.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orioles get: Greene, Thomas, Hill, Pie, Hoffpauir

Padres get: Erbe, Marshall, Ceda, Veal, Theriot

Cubs get: Peavy, Roberts

I'm probably crazy, but the Cubs would be getting these two players w/o giving up their top two prospects...of course it is an 8 for 2 swap. :)

Orioles get: Greene, Thomas, Hill, Pie, Hoffpauir

Padres get: Erbe, Marshall, Ceda, Veal, Theriot

Cubs get: Peavy, Roberts

I'm probably crazy, but the Cubs would be getting these two players w/o giving up their top two prospects...of course it is an 8 for 2 swap. :)

Yeah, Cubs aren't giving up enough quality there.

Nice to hear BRob has a strong chance of being traded.

I think there will be many more buyers than last year as several 2B wannabes failed to meet expectations (while others did).

There seem to be more "win now" expectations of teams and a team willing to sell this offseason should do okay.

ESPN is saying the Cubs are trying to get a third team in play to meet the pitching demands of the Pads. Could a mega Peavy/Roberts Cubs acquisition be in the works?

Doubtful.

CW is the Cubs are dangling Vitters for a blue-chip pitching prospect of the caliber the Braves aren't willing to give (Hanson).

If the O's are involved, then that'd point to names like Tillman and Arrieta.

It'd also point to TB, potentially. Maybe they'd take Vitters for one of their many quality young arms that have either reached MLB or are knocking on the door. They do have a bit of a logjam to negotiate there and Vitters might make a nice "out".

At any rate, Roberts seems like the wrong direction here, IMO.

CW is the Cubs are dangling Vitters for a blue-chip pitching prospect of the caliber the Braves aren't willing to give (Hanson).

If the O's are involved, then that'd point to names like Tillman and Arrieta.

It'd also point to TB, potentially. Maybe they'd take Vitters for one of their many quality young arms that have either reached MLB or are knocking on the door. They do have a bit of a logjam to negotiate there and Vitters might make a nice "out".

At any rate, Roberts seems like the wrong direction here, IMO.

I'd deal Arrieta for Vitters...

Archived