2021 Orioles Draft Tracker

Just now, interloper said:

Lol man you are something else. 

I can't think someone might be an overpay now?

I guess I'll retract my statements about not liking the Davis deal.

Obviously I'm not allowed to have opinions when it comes to players and how much money they get.

Thanks for putting me in my place.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can't think someone might be an overpay now?

I guess I'll retract my statements about not liking the Davis deal.

Obviously I'm not allowed to have opinions when it comes to players and how much money they get.

Thanks for putting me in my place.

How is that putting you in your place? You're good to feel however you want man, I just find it a little hypocritical after all this concern about not spending all the money. But I get it if you don't like the player or the draft choices overall. You are a hard dude to please is all. 

My only take is Willems was always going to be the overslot guy. The concerns about going underslot for the whole draft were always unfounded. 

Now, if you don't like Willems as THE overslot guy, that's fine I guess. We're just going to have to see, but it's clear the O's love the kid, and his scouting report is definitely strong. 

I think we'll see another overslot before this is over too. It's just whether you feel these overslots are deserving of the money.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While I readily admit to not being anything close to an expert from my armchair that looks like an overpay.

I guess we will find out in a few years.

The experts who would maybe label this an overpay heavily criticized the Yankees for going overslot to sign Anthony Volpe. He's now unanimously considered a blue chip prospect by those same people just a year later. It's fun to read what those guys write about the draft but it means very little to me. I'm of the opinion that GMs don't make their mark in this league following mock drafts especially once you get out of the like the second round. 

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While I readily admit to not being anything close to an expert from my armchair that looks like an overpay.

I guess we will find out in a few years.

If you'll question them on overpaying for Willems then you probably praised Elias somewhere for signing Trimble for 200K under slot when most people thought he was an overslot waiting to happen.     Right?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

How is that putting you in your place? You're good to feel however you want man, I just find it a little hypocritical after all this concern about not spending all the money. But I get it if you don't like the player or the draft choices overall. You are a hard dude to please is all. 

I stated earlier that either way (tons of money unspent or money spent on these specific overslots) I wasn't going to be pleased.  I don't think it was a good draft.  I was pleased with the 2019 draft so it can be done.

Also, so much for the people who argued he must have been slot or just a little over because he signed so soon!    Just goes to show you that the O's had agreements or had a good handle on what it would take to sign these guys before they picked them.   I read that Rhodes is in Baltimore at the moment.  He's a possible overslot as well.   Just assuming he's getting his physical and will be announced next week.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Trimble pick looks to be solid.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I stated earlier that either way (tons of money unspent or money spent on these specific overslots) I wasn't going to be pleased.  I don't think it was a good draft.  I was pleased with the 2019 draft so it can be done.

You have it set up that no what the Orioles do as far as spending money on the draft, that you are unhappy either way.   Good one.   Can you use the following as a signature on every post?

While I readily admit to not being anything close to an expert from my armchair 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You have it set up that no what the Orioles do as far as spending money on the draft, that you are unhappy either way.   Good one.   Can you use the following as a signature on every post?

Would you "bite your tongue"!  ?

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't like the players they picked.

I don't like the emphasis on college outfielders.

I don't like the deluge of right handed college pitchers on day three.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't like the players they picked.

I don't like the emphasis on college outfielders.

I don't like the deluge of right handed college pitchers on day three.

If a team believes the BPA is a college outfielder, should they choose a SS instead?

I'm sure they would have loved to pick a SS in the first 3 rounds if they felt he was the BPA.

Day 3.  Rounds 10-20.   Really?    

8 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Would you "bite your tongue"!  ?

No but I might roll my eyes.  Much less painful.   We are both old guys but you have me beat.   I have a show for you.  I just binged on it for the last 3-5 days.   The Kominsky Method.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

If a team believes the BPA is a college outfielder, should they choose a SS instead?

I'm sure they would have loved to pick a SS in the first 3 rounds if they felt he was the BPA.

Day 3.  Rounds 10-20.   Really?    

I don't follow the NFL draft that closely but I seem to recall the Redskins, back when they were the Redskins, have a draft in which they took an inordinate amount of Tight Ends because their metrics told them they were the best player available.

I think Elias has an internal bias towards college players and position players early in the draft.