2021 Orioles Draft Tracker

I was just trying to show how my view of what Elias is doing has evolved as his actions have changed.

I wasn't trying to declare any sea change movements in his tenure.

For some reason people like to take changing your opinion over years of additional data and try and turn it into something it's not.

I do still think that teams are conspiring to keep signing bonuses low down there and the idea that you have to have a "rapport" is at least partially a smoke screen to their actions to try and eliminate bidding wars.

I've acknowledged that progress has been made while stating that they are still not where they need to be.  I don't think the last class is laudable, it's a good step but still insufficient.

What's this, "years of additional data" BS.  Frobby, answer me this.  Was Corn not openly questioning Elias's pledge to be a factor in Latin America for months leading up to that first signing class?  He only changed his stance when the writing was on the wall.  His declaration was that he hadn't been wrong but he just changed his mind when presented with further evidence (the evidence that he had been wrong).  I still can't get over it, haha, but I sleep well at night. 

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What's this, "years of additional data" BS.  Frobby, answer me this.  Was Corn not openly questioning Elias's pledge to be a factor in Latin America for months leading up to that first signing class?  He only changed his stance when the writing was on the wall.  His declaration was that he hadn't been wrong but he just changed his mind when presented with further evidence (the evidence that he had been wrong).  I still can't get over it, haha, but I sleep well at night. 

I'm not sticking up for the grumpbucket CoC, but are people not allowed to change their mind on things when new evidence is provided?  Seems to be a pretty bounded mindset.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sticking up for the grumpbucket CoC, but are people not allowed to change their mind on things when new evidence is provided?  Seems to be a pretty bounded mindset.  

If I'm given evidence that shows I was wrong, I admit I was wrong like most reasonable human beings.  I don't say, yeah I changed my mind given new evidence but I wasn't wrong.

If these numbers are correct,  I'm ticked.  How dare they not spend 64k of their alloted funds!  What kind of extra talent could they have gotten in earlier rounds if only they'd have wisely spent that remaining 64k!  Elias clearly has no idea what he is doing and needs to be replaced asap if we are to ever put a winning team on the field.  Keeping 64k worth of bullets in your gun is inexcusable, and I fail to see how any of you can justify such cheap, money grabbing for the owners,  incompetence.

*snark off*

Glad to see he used the vast majority of the funds.   I'm not sure that the picks were the right ones, but he clearly had a plan and worked out it.  Give him a few years, hopefully less with the college guys,  and we can see how it turns out. 

Edited by forphase1
Spelling
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

There were a lot of naysayers during the draft, but I think this looks like a very promising draft. Sure, I would have preferred some high-end pitchers in the early rounds, and some top high school talent, but I have no problem deferring to Elias and his team and giving them the benefit of any doubt. If Cowser and Norby both turn out to be studs, another one of those outfielders becomes a solid Major Leaguer, we develop some good relievers, and trade some of the others for key pieces, I'll be very happy. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I'll stay optimistic.

2 hours ago, forphase1 said:

If these numbers are correct,  I'm ticked.  How dare they not spend 64k of their alloted funds!  What kind of extra talent could they have gotten in earlier rounds if only they'd have wisely spent that remaining 64k!  Elias clearly has no idea what he is doing and needs to be replaced asap if we are to ever put a winning team on the field.  Keeping 64k worth of bullets in your gun is inexcusable, and I fail to see how any of you can justify such cheap, money grabbing for the owners,  incompetence.

*snark off*

Glad to see he used the vast majority of the funds.   I'm not sure that the picks were the right ones, but he clearly had a plan and worked out it.  Give him a few years, hopefully less with the college guys,  and we can see how it turns out. 

They still have Lloyd to try to sign, too.  

13 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

True.  If they happen to spend over their allotment after signing him,  some here may die of shock!

But still say they drafted the wrong guys and just overpaid lesser talent.

I’m glad they spent their allotment. It was concerning when it appeared they wouldn’t because this team is always looking to cheap out. 

The lack of pitching in the last 3 drafts is starting to be a concern. We’ve acquired some good pitching through trades, but I hope it’s a focus in next year’s draft.