2021 Orioles Draft Tracker

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Williams almost immediately took to social media to declare he was going to go pro.

That doesn't sound like a big over slot guy to me.

Unless he waited until his agent told him how much the O's were prepared to pay him before posting on Twitter.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would expect a significant over slot deal to take a bit longer.

Why?  What would make it reasonable for an underslot to be so quick, yet not an overslot?  Sounds like fishing for something to complain about to me.  I'm sure they knew roughly what his number would be when they drafted him,  and more or less had already agreed to it when he tweeted he was signing.  It really shouldn't take longer to tell one kid you are willing to sign them for 1 million less than their slot calls for then to tell another you are willing to pay 1 million more than his calls for...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Williams almost immediately took to social media to declare he was going to go pro.

Maybe he was just deliriously happy with the pre-draft number Baltimore gave him, and he's more of a social media butterfly than Baumler or Mayo.     For sure with the early returns we should have a view of everyone's number in 2 weeks.

I can imagine Orioles models going nuts on the power upside if he hit a few 114, 117, etc.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Why?  What would make it reasonable for an underslot to be so quick, yet not an overslot?  Sounds like fishing for something to complain about to me.  I'm sure they knew roughly what his number would be when they drafted him,  and more or less had already agreed to it when he tweeted he was signing.  It really shouldn't take longer to tell one kid you are willing to sign them for 1 million less than their slot calls for then to tell another you are willing to pay 1 million more than his calls for...

I agree, it seems to me you are fishing for something to complain about.

All I said was that it doesn't seem to me that someone who so quickly announced he was forgoing college and signing with the Orioles is likely to be a significant overslot.  I think it would take longer to play out even if they had already exchanged numbers.

I'm either right or wrong.

Not sure why you feel a need to step up about it, but whatever you be you.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Many journalists who know his situation are saying it will be. I would also think that before Elias drafted him, they had an agreement on a number. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think you mean Willems (8th rounder out of HS), not Williams (4th rounder out of college), right?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/18/2021 at 8:08 AM, Can_of_corn said:

I would expect a significant over slot deal to take a bit longer.

Maybe for the i's and the t's? But it's not at all surprising to me that they would have come to a verbal agreement that the player was comfortable enough to tweet about, even if a bit premature.

I don't think he profiles as a massive over slot guy, but an over slot nonetheless.

We're 10 years past the 5th round Mookie pick by the Red Sox.   As Mookie proved himself just about the best player in the world, the 5th round pedigree made me slower to recognize.

Between now and then, covid really taught me draft position is meaningless among the best talents, and Signing Bonus is a better barometer of how the Club values the Player.

From Round 5, Pick 172, Mookie signed for 750K.   In 2011, that was about the 70th highest bonus.  

The Orioles in the 6th round that year passed out $1.5M on I believe the biggest post-Mookie bonus in the entire draft, Nicky Delmonico.  Good work there...

At some point next week, Rhodes, Trimble, etc. might get $750K, or might get $1.5M.   

6 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

We're 10 years past the 5th round Mookie pick by the Red Sox.   As Mookie proved himself just about the best player in the world, the 5th round pedigree made me slower to recognize.

Between now and then, covid really taught me draft position is meaningless among the best talents, and Signing Bonus is a better barometer of how the Club values the Player.

From Round 5, Pick 172, Mookie signed for 750K.   In 2011, that was about the 70th highest bonus.  

The Orioles in the 6th round that year passed out $1.5M on I believe the biggest post-Mookie bonus in the entire draft, Nicky Delmonico.  Good work there...

At some point next week, Rhodes, Trimble, etc. might get $750K, or might get $1.5M.   

Good post. Thanks.