2021 Orioles Draft Tracker

Just now, bobmc said:

Imagine the furor @Can_of_corn!  But we have settled down in our later stages of life right?  ?

Later stages?   I’m 64 and just getting to my mid-life crisis!   80 is the new 50!

I think I’m getting to the point where I can shoot my age in golf, so long as I only play the front nine….

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Later stages?   I’m 64 and just getting to my mid-life crisis!   80 is the new 50!

I think I’m getting to the point where I can shoot my age in golf, so long as I only play the front nine….

I am approaching 80 (78) with prostate issues (just had my MRI and biopsy soon) and have shot one over my age for the past five or so years.  I shot 71 at 69 and had a 78 this year at 77.  It is frustrating but gives one a goal.  Shoot even on front and then blow up with OB's, water, etc. on back,  and I'm playing my back nine at life.  ? They say you may die WITH prostate cancer but not die FROM it.  Let's hope.  My boy Cal (born on my birthday) had it.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is the settled down version of me.

LOL SG but a bit more "mature"?  You are waiting for the final dollar count before you explode right?  If we spend $1M on some CC xfer, that would not be a good look.

5 minutes ago, bobmc said:

LOL SG but a bit more "mature"?  You are waiting for the final dollar count before you explode right?  If we spend $1M on some CC xfer, that would not be a good look.

No, I mean the version of me from the early '90's. 

I am waiting for the final count but that is just being smart.  I will say that I'm not happy with how the draft is unfolding and them giving the remaining guys all the overslot money won't change that

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, I mean the version of me from the early '90's. 

I am waiting for the final count but that is just being smart.  I will say that I'm not happy with how the draft is unfolding and them giving the remaining guys all the overslot money won't change that

Yea…just because they spend the money and perhaps overpay for some guys doesn’t mean they spent it wisely.  It just means they spent it.

Craig's commit is NC State, right?   Any college experts with a take on just how hot a recruit get he was.

I kind of enjoy the visual of Mayo and Willems as a pairing - prep power upside that the Orioles would draft can come in any shape or size - just hit it 115+.

Just like the 11th round pitcher made his money (maybe a lot of it?) at the MLB Draft combine, perhaps Rhodes did the same in summer ball.   I seem to recall Fangraphs Goldstein mentioning he'd played summer ball and looked good, which if I'd had a bad BABIP year at Kentucky I get trying to do.

2 hours ago, bobmc said:

I am approaching 80 (78) with prostate issues (just had my MRI and biopsy soon) and have shot one over my age for the past five or so years.  I shot 71 at 69 and had a 78 this year at 77.  It is frustrating but gives one a goal.  Shoot even on front and then blow up with OB's, water, etc. on back,  and I'm playing my back nine at life.  ? They say you may die WITH prostate cancer but not die FROM it.  Let's hope.  My boy Cal (born on my birthday) had it.

Prayers and good thoughts coming your way buddy!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Possibly, but I’ll be shocked if they cost $1.8 mm overslot.   It won’t surprise me if we underspend our allotment by $1 mm+.

Willems’ slot is $187,700 in round 8. I have to think he gets a good amount of the savings to forego TCU. But I was wrong on what it would take to sign Trimble, so who knows. 

We already have more than 1.7 mil in savings on the signed guys.  Can someone who knows more than me tell me where that money is going? Rhodes? A third round pick coming off a season where he hit .251.  8th  round pick HS pick Creed Williams who immediately said he was signing?  This round 20 JUCO sophomore? 

I don't see those three combining for more than 500-750 K over slot if we are being generous.  Not seeing the plan here. 

8 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I don't see those three combining for more than 500-750 K over slot if we are being generous.  Not seeing the plan here. 

I think it's looking more and more like the plan was to not spend a sizeable portion of the allotment.  Which would be very disheartening for one, and also should beg the question of what is the point of tanking.  

45 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I think it's looking more and more like the plan was to not spend a sizeable portion of the allotment.  Which would be very disheartening for one, and also should beg the question of what is the point of tanking.  

Or, they got lucky in negotiations and were able to convince some guys to sign for significantly less than they thought.   And maybe they liked some of the cheaper guys better than the more expensive guys available.   I’m not saying I think that’s the most likely explanation, but it’s possible.  

• Upvote 1

Regular plug for this site's helpful resource to see everyone.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/draft/

A prep overslot a few picks after Rhodes in round 2 got about 300K extra from Pittsburgh, though of course every player's value is in the eye of the beholder.

At a glance I saw a 480K in round 11 and a 300K in round 18 as the biggest 11th-20th round numbers so far, though I believe the most substantial overslots probably come closer to the end of the window as the Clubs see how efficiently they can get everyone else signed before the "last, biggest" gift under the tree.