2021 Orioles Draft Tracker

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't say the part you actually quoted wasn't correct.  Although I don't think it is all that much of a "Gotcha" moment.

You did see the part I bolded right?  The part that said

That is misquoting me. 

This is what I actually said.

Notice I do not say "Never".  Never is a very strong word.  You are  misrepresenting what I actually said when you claim I use a term of that strength.  The nuance of what I said and how you characterized what I said are quite different.  You have actually managed to portray me as more egotistical than I actually am and that isn't easy.

Now you are also "a pretty smart guy.  Not a bad guy." but I do think you were intentionally trying to color my comments.

For whatever reason I can't begin to fathom.

Do you know the difference between a quote and paraphrasing someone.   I quoted the word "mistake".    You said "I'd be disappointed in myself if made a mistake like that..   I used the phrase you "you would never make the "mistake" ".    See I quoted the word mistake and used my own words to paraphrase what you said.   You are splitting hairs now but that's you.

I never intended to claim that you say that you never make mistakes.   In this case your meaning certainly seems to be that you would never make the mistake of claiming the Orioles were looking to pocket money on the draft.   You said you would be disappointed if you made a mistake like that.    Seems the same to me although I worded it differently but I clearly didn't try to pass that off as a quote from you.    I love it when you get righteous and indignant.   You are an expert at indignant.

34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Per @bobmc's draft tracker, looks like Trendon Craig got 250k:  https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/2021/all/team/orioles

19 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Now Burns and Pavolony have gotten their overslots!  $375K and $325 K respectively.

https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/2021/all/team/orioles

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Dude!  Corn!   Wow!   I will let the rest of the Hangout decide who is twisting words or who said what or meant what.   

I copy and pasted a quote from you.  How is that not quoting you correctly?  LOL

Honestly, I’m ready to move on.   Really not interested in reading 20 posts back and forth bickering about past statements, regardless of whether I think one of you is more in the right than the other.   

Corn, has there really been an “early Elias,” “middle Elias” and “current Elias” already?   The guy hasn’t even been on the job for three years yet.  By the way, so far the O’s are linked to the no. 18 foreign amateur prospect this year.  I’d say based on early looks in the FCL and DSL, the first two signing classes haven’t caught up to the pack.   But nobody should be surprised by that.   We’ve gotten more traction each year and it seems that in Year 3 we’re competing for foreign talent on an equal footing with other teams.   I consider that to be good and steady progress.   The new facility coming on line should give us a good shot to move towards the front of the pack.  

RZNJ, I’m not sure I know what your stance on the draft is.   Obviously none of us know how it will turn out, but do you like Elias’ strategy and selections?   Personally I believe you can’t go this hitter-heavy for three years in a row without creating imbalances in your system, and that it won’t be that easy to acquire pitchers in other hand ways.   I’m not too worried about choosing “safe” college guys over “high upside” high school guys.  He’s showing he knows how to develop the position players he drafts.   I’m just worried about where the pitching comes from once Rajsich’s best picks run dry.  

My stance on the draft is this.  Elias and his team have a plan.  It appears to me to be: Aquire as many chips as possible.  You can sort the chips our later. You can use some chips to aquire different types of chips later but the most important thing is to have a lot of chips to play with.

The term high ceiling gets thrown around a lot.  Two non Elias picks.  Mullins and Means.  Were they high ceiling players?  Everyone sounds great on draft day.  Time will tell who was right and wrong.  Very annoying every year to read the draft thread.  LOL.  But I do.

I am hoping that Elias is the smartest guy in the room. I don't know that he is or isn't.   But he strikes me as a very smart baseball guy with a plan.  I'm willing to be patient and see how it turns out.  With a little optimism I can see the beginnings of a pipeline. 

• Upvote 1