Spenser Watkins gets the start tonight

SteveA

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

To the Baseball savant for the answer.. lol

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?date=7/6/2021&gamePk=633413&chartType=pitch&legendType=pitchName&playerType=pitcher&inning=&count=&pitchHand=&batSide=&descFilter=&ptFilter=&resultFilter=&hf=pitchVelocity#633413

Seems to me he kept using his fastball through the outing though it did get harder than his other offerings. His cutter was the more effective pitch though you wonder of it was because of the 4-seam fastball setting it up? 

It will be interesting to see is tries to go cutter heavy over the fastball in the future of the fastball continues to get hit hard.

That's interesting. I was going by the Gameday stats as the game progressed and they showed the cutter almost completely replacing Watkins' heavy use of 4-seamers early on (ten in first inning was peak). But I defer to the Savant.

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Wow, just read that Watkins win last night ended a streak of 24 straight games without a starter earning a win... a team record.   Which broke the previous record of 23 which was set in ... May 2021.

In the last 53 games following the Means no hitter on May 5, O’s starters have won exactly 4 games:

June 1 Zimmermann 

June 6 Lopez 

June 8 Zimmermann 

July 7 Watkins   

Our relievers won 9 games in that span.   In fact, our relievers went 7-1 in June.   Who knew?

• Upvote 1