Ask me about a prospect. (Early July)

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Hope he can put himself back on the map. The thing that's always been on my mind with him is that the Dodgers were willing to part with him in a package with three other pretty decent prospects for just a half season rental of Machado. They originally spent $15.5 million to sign him. Hard to imagine the Dodgers were really enamored with him if they were willing to walk away from such a large investment for so little in return. Not to mention Kremer, Pop, Bannon, Valera as well. 

Teams that have plenty of resources and are trying to win a championship are sometimes willing to pay a high price.

They weren't exactly picking up Gerrardo Parra for the stretch run.

59 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Teams that have plenty of resources and are trying to win a championship are sometimes willing to pay a high price.

They weren't exactly picking up Gerrardo Parra for the stretch run.

GM - “I’ve got a tentative deal to pick up Manny Machado for our playoff push. We’ll have to give up Yusniel Diaz, Dean Kremer, Zach Pop, Rylan Bannon, and Bryce Valera to get him. Do I have your approval?” 

Owner - “Diaz…..isn’t that the guy you said was such a good prospect that I paid $15.5 million just to sign him? And now we’re giving him to Baltimore for a three month rental, along with these other prospects we really like?”

GM (version A) - “Yeah, that’s the guy. Our guys have had a good look at him and we’re not seeing him develop like we had hoped. He could still put it together, but we think he’s more valuable in what he can bring us today in trade than what he will produce for us down the road. If we don’t include him, we’ll have to part with someone we value more highly.”

GM (version B) - “Yeah, that’s the guy. And I still think he’s going to a huge star….for Baltimore. But…you know, forget about that $15.5 million…you have plenty of resources”

I’m not heavily trying to prove a point here, just having fun. That said, I don’t care how much money I have to work with, I don’t want to be that GM telling ownership I want to deal a prospect I convinced them was worth $15.5 million to sign. That’s a bad look for me. But even worse is for me to hold onto him and he never amounts to anything in the big leagues. 

2 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

GM - “I’ve got a tentative deal to pick up Manny Machado for our playoff push. We’ll have to give up Yusniel Diaz, Dean Kremer, Zach Pop, Rylan Bannon, and Bryce Valera to get him. Do I have your approval?” 

Owner - “Diaz…..isn’t that the guy you said was such a good prospect that I paid $15.5 million just to sign him? And now we’re giving him to Baltimore for a three month rental, along with these other prospects we really like?”

GM (version A) - “Yeah, that’s the guy. Our guys have had a good look at him and we’re not seeing him develop like we had hoped. He could still put it together, but we think he’s more valuable in what he can bring us today in trade than what he will produce for us down the road. If we don’t include him, we’ll have to part with someone we value more highly.”

GM (version B) - “Yeah, that’s the guy. And I still think he’s going to a huge star….for Baltimore. But…you know, forget about that $15.5 million…you have plenty of resources”

I’m not heavily trying to prove a point here, just having fun. That said, I don’t care how much money I have to work with, I don’t want to be that GM telling ownership I want to deal a prospect I convinced them was worth $15.5 million to sign. That’s a bad look for me. But even worse is for me to hold onto him and he never amounts to anything in the big leagues. 

$31M.

Sigh.  A horrendous start by Lowther tonight  is depressing.  Following last night where Knight blew up what was previously a nice season line.  Adley struggling in July. Henderson brutal since promotion.  Diaz hitting under .200 and on the pine.  DL on the DL.  

Not scientific but feeling like we are having more regression than progression in the milb.

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

This is the actual definition of a sunk cost.

Also, $15.5M to sign the centerpiece of a Manny Machado trade in a title run is actually an effective use of resources.

10 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

This is the actual definition of a sunk cost.

Also, $15.5M to sign the centerpiece of a Manny Machado trade in a title run is actually an effective use of resources.

Plus the $6.5 million in salary the Dodgers paid Machado. Plus Dean Kremer, Zach Pop, Rylan Bannon, and Bryce Valera. But that's not really the point. I think the Dodgers knew he wasn't going to be the player he was still touted to be. 

2 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

$15.5 mill or $31 mill is not the same to the Dodgers and the O's.  If it was allowed, they would have just sent millions to Baltimore to buy Manny.

13 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Hope he can put himself back on the map. The thing that's always been on my mind with him is that the Dodgers were willing to part with him in a package with three other pretty decent prospects for just a half season rental of Machado. They originally spent $15.5 million to sign him. Hard to imagine the Dodgers were really enamored with him if they were willing to walk away from such a large investment for so little in return. Not to mention Kremer, Pop, Bannon, Valera as well. 

And if I recall right, after the penalties for going over the amount of money, they paid something like $30 million for him overall. All I know was the first reports I got about him from player development people at the time were not exactly glowing. Saying all that, he does have the ability to barrel up a ball and has raw power and is good enough in the other areas that he still could provide some value. I wonder if his current slump is from being rusty or just not 100%?

8 hours ago, Sydnor said:

Tony - I know you said you wouldn’t know much on the complex league, but do you have any early thoughts on Mishael Deson? He looks like he has a lot of tools to work with in the limited video I’ve seen.

Probably the most I know about him comes from this video

https://www.mlb.com/video/anthony-sanders-on-mishael-deson

Sounds like a good kid and some game action:

https://www.mlb.com/video/deson-on-being-part-of-the-o-s?t=mlb-pipeline

Koby Perez on him having the highest upside of the guys (Vavra and Nevin) received in the Givens trade.

Overall I see a young lanky kid (6-3.. 155) with a lot of room to add muscle to his physique as he matures. It sounds like he definitely has some tools to work from so when you add in the projectable body and the fact he's one of the youngest guys the Orioles brought over to the FCL and you can see how high they are on him.

He's off to a good start in the FCL so he's definitely one of the guys people should keep an eye on down there.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sydnor said:

Tony - I know you said you wouldn’t know much on the complex league, but do you have any early thoughts on Mishael Deson? He looks like he has a lot of tools to work with in the limited video I’ve seen.

This doesn't answer your question but it's an interesting article on Deson.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mishael-deson-impressing-as-orioles-prospect

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2