Will Alex Wells get a promotion to the O's rotation?

wildcard

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Really, why? What gave you that indication? Other than opening up the Latin American market the name of the owner/s is still Angelos. Elias has more room to operate than did Duquette, but have things changed all that much?

I don’t think much of Hyde, but he doesn’t have too many options and Elias is the guy who makes the decision to DFA a player.

Your point about Hyde’s hands being tied is valid and well taken, but the comment by@maybenxtyr is equally valid. There’s no reason to keep Harvey, and hasn’t been for a long time. He gives us nothing. Perhaps we should redirect our ire at Elias instead of Hyde, but his point remains valid, and if Hyde is stuck with this pitching staff, he should have put Harvey in the pen long ago, unless him remaining in the rotation is also beyond his control, which is not possible. Is it? Could Elias really tell Hyde,” nope he has to remain in the rotation.”? 

Edited by Philip
Grammar

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Your point about Hyde’s hands being tied is valid and well taken, but the comment by@maybenxtyr is equally valid. There’s no reason to keep Harvey, and hasn’t been for a long time. He gives us nothing. Perhaps we should redirect our ire at Elias instead of Hyde, but his point remains valid, and if Hyde is stuck with this pitching staff, he should have put Harvey in the pen long ago, unless him remaining in the rotation is also beyond his control, which is not possible. Is it? Could Elias really tell Hyde,” nope he has to remain in the rotation.”? 

Elias most definitely could be ordering Harvey to stay in the rotation, but we don't know and good luck getting the Baltimore sports media to ask the question. 

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Really, why? What gave you that indication? Other than opening up the Latin American market the name of the owner/s is still Angelos. Elias has more room to operate than did Duquette, but have things changed all that much?

I don’t think much of Hyde, but he doesn’t have too many options and Elias is the guy who makes the decision to DFA a player.

If this team hasn't progressed to the point of using guys with a smidge more upside than Harvey, Eshelmann, and other types that have no future then this has been a failure by Elias. The second half of the season is when several fans had hopes of seeing some of the future.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

If this team hasn't progressed to the point of using guys with a smidge more upside than Harvey, Eshelmann, and other types that have no future then this has been a failure by Elias. The second half of the season is when several fans had hopes of seeing some of the future.

I get it. Believe me, the ONLY reason I continue to watch them is for guys like Mullins, Hays or Mountcastle (and Mancini). I’d like to see Wells or even Lowther instead of Harvey or Eshelman. Not because I think they’re better, but because it’s an alternative to what the org runs out there as a poor substitute for a team. Give the young guys a chance. 

If I were running this team, my pitching staff to open the second half would look like this:

Starters

• Means
  • T. Wells
  • A Wells
  • Zimmerman (health permitting)
  • Watkins (as long as it lasts)

Bullpen

• Lopez (closer)
  • Tate
  • Sulsuer
  • Scott
  • Shaun Anderson
  • Fry
  • Eshelman
  • Plutko
  • Akin

Wells has pitched very well in AAA since the beginning of June and I think we could see him given a shot at the Orioles rotation at some point soon.   I was underwhelmed by what I saw in his brief big league appearances, but I also know better than to judge him solely on that.   I’d like to see him pitch when he has his command working the way he usually does.   

20 hours ago, Philip said:

There is plenty of reason for them to keep Harvey in the rotation. The Orioles are not trying to win games. One could argue they are hoping to finish at the bottom. Although Arizona is making it hard.

1 hour ago, connja said:

If I were running this team, my pitching staff to open the second half would look like this:

Starters

• Means
  • T. Wells
  • A Wells

Bullpen

• Lopez (closer)
  • Tate
  • Sulsuer
  • Scott
  • Shaun Anderson
  • Fry
  • Eshelman
  • Plutko
  • Akin

Boy that’s a lousy pen…

7 hours ago, connja said:

Starters

• Means
  • T. Wells
  • A Wells

Bullpen

• Lopez (closer)
  • Tate
  • Sulsuer
  • Scott
  • Shaun Anderson
  • Fry
  • Eshelman
  • Plutko
  • Akin

So are you DFAing Harvey and Valdez and optioning McKenna to go with a 3 man bench?