RIP Mike Coolbaugh

DrungoHazewood

Link

Former major league infielder and current Tulsa hitting coach Mike Coolbaugh died Sunday night after being struck in the head by a line drive as he stood in the first-base coach's box in a game against Arkansas. Unbelievable. Coolbaugh was knocked unconscious and CPR was administered to him on the field after he was struck in the forehead. The 35-year-old was still alive when he was put in an ambulance, but stopped breathing before arriving at the hospital. Coolbaugh, who played in 44 games for the Brewers in 2001 and the Cardinals in 2002, hit 256 career homers in the minors before retiring after last season. He had just taken the job as Tulsa's hitting and first-base coach on July 3. He is survived by his wife and two children, with a third on the way in October.

Wow. On-field deaths in professional baseball are extremely rare. In the majors I only know off-hand of two, Ray Chapman, and John McSherry. Jim Creighton also died from injuries sustained on the field, before pro ball got organized.

Just saw where Tulsa AA hitting coach MIke Coolbaugh was struck by a line drive and killed last night. That is very sad for his family and friends. I ahd met him whenm he played with the Round Rock Express a couple years ago. My thoughts and prayers go to his freinds and family.

Guest rbrhett

That's tragic. It goes to show you never know when your time is up. An article on the incident said he was alive when the ambulance arrived at the hospital but died shortly thereafter. What a blow for his family. He has a baby on the way and two small children. My prayers are with them.

Link

Wow. On-field deaths in professional baseball are extremely rare. In the majors I only know off-hand of two, Ray Chapman, and John McSherry. Jim Creighton also died from injuries sustained on the field, before pro ball got organized.

I am 99.9% sure there was some incident with Cobb over what happend to Chapman but I don't remember what exactly. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

I am 99.9% sure there was some incident with Cobb over what happend to Chapman but I don't remember what exactly. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Don't remember anything. There's a story about Mays knocking down Cobb and nearly starting a fight early in Mays' career, but that was years before the Chapman incident.

I think coaches should have an option to wear a helmet if they want. This tragedy could lead to something being done ASAP.

I doubt very much if anyone would have objected had coaches chosen to wear helmets before this incident occurred. They certainly wouldn't now.

One of the fans on a Cardinals forum mentioned that John Olerud used to wear a flapless batting helmet while playing 1st base because he suffered a brain aneurysm while playing in college. Another told an anecdote about a time in 1998 when the umpire tried to make the Cardinals third base coach (Rene Lachman?) get back in the coaches box when Mark McGwire was at the plate. The coach was miked and he was heard to tell the ump, "Would you want to stand there with McGwire at the plate?"

She also mentioned that her dad was listening to Tony La Russa's weekly radio interview this morning and the broadcaster asked La Russa about his thoughts on what happened to Coolbaugh. The broadcaster was surprised to learn that La Russa hadn't heard yet. He told La Russa only that Coolbaugh had been hit in the head by a line drive. La Russa asked them how badly Coolbaugh had been heard and was stunned when they told him that Coolbaugh had died. They spent the remainder of the morning interview sharing memories about Coolbaugh.

Don't remember anything. There's a story about Mays knocking down Cobb and nearly starting a fight early in Mays' career, but that was years before the Chapman incident.

I found out it was that Cobb wanted Mays banned from Baseball. Don't know if it was just based on Chapman or his pure hatred of Mays.

Archived