Round of promotions announced

MurphDogg

11 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Clearing some room at Delmarva for all those college pitchers we drafted. ?

I hope they are not done.

Looks like Zach Watson was pushed up because they wants to promote Haskins.   Zach has not earned it.

Conroy and Peek are head scratchers.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think it's going to be 10 days to 2 weeks before we start seeing the draft picks at Delmarva:

“Used to be you would take a college hitter in the first round, a DJ Stewart or Adley Rutschman, and they would go kind of get their feet wet in Florida, take a physical, they sign and they see our spring training facilities, and play a game or two in the Florida Complex League. And then they would go to Aberdeen, which used to be our short-season summer league,” Elias said. “But now that league is gone.”

“So it’s different. We don’t have that. So I think what we will see with a lot of these college hitters, they will, like I said, go to get their feet wet and get introduced to the organization in Florida. These guys haven’t been playing for two months, so kind of get back into game shape. And then we will ultimately try to get a good group of these guys up to (low Single-A) Delmarva to finish up the summer.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/07/os-end-kc-series-on-high-note-and-elias-on-the-draft.html

• Upvote 3

Just now, wildcard said:

Perhaps this week will be our last chance to see Grayson Rodriguez at Bowie.

Keep in mind that with the late start, the Low-A, high A and AA season runs two weeks longer while Norfolk runs three weeks longer this year instead of the normal Labor Day ending. So there is still time for guys to get real time at a higher level.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Perhaps this week will be our last chance to see Grayson Rodriguez at Bowie.

Keep in mind that with the late start, the Low-A, high A and AA season runs two weeks longer while Norfolk runs three weeks longer this year instead of the normal Labor Day ending. So there is still time for guys to get real time at a higher level.

What is Grayson going to prove pitching at AA for the next week or two that he has not already proven?

• Upvote 1

This makes some sense since they will need to make room for the new draft picks here shortly with no NY-Penn League anymore.

The Tides have been starting NPs in the outfield so moving Neustrom there is a good thing. He's very controlled the strikeszone this year and tapped into his power during games more this year. He's ok defensively though he made one of the worse plays of the year in the outfield yesterday when he misplayed a  ball that eventually hit him in a the glove only to drop for an error.

I'm guessing the org is hoping a promotion will jump start Haskins and especially Watson since neither have dominated their levels. Sometimes hitters hit better at a high level because the pitchers are around the plate more. I haven't seen much of Watson, but he's coming off his worse appearance of the year. He's getting long in the tooth so they probably want to see him against high level hitters sooner than later. 

Feliz, the youngest of the promotees at 21, is interesting as he's been throwing harder as the year has gone on and has dominated the Sally League. Peek at 23 needed to move up as well though I haven't been thrilled with the stuff or consistency this year. I expect Noah Denoyer, 23, is probably on his way to Aberdeen at some point soon too. Conroy is an org guy to fill innings at Bowie at 24 years old.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What is Grayson going to prove pitching at AA for the next week or two that he has not already proven?

He has only made 8 starts at the AA level.

I'm not going to get too worked up about one more start, especially since the Baysox are home this week.

Let the Baysox get one more attendance bump and allow the local fans to see him one more time before he goes to Norfolk.

He could still make 10-11 starts at Norfolk this year, and I doubt that he breaks camp with the O's next season for service time reasons (pending CBA negotiations this off-season), so he would be looking at least another 2-3 starts there next April.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

After watching his last start, I think moving Rodriguez to AAA makes sense. He needs to get used to spinning that major league ball that they use in AAA. Right now he's basically having his way with AA hitters. Libertore is already there and having some hiccups but until MLB uses the major league ball at all levels, that jump to AAA is important because of the different ball.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Not much.  But let’s not act like it matters much whether he’s promoted now or three weeks from now.   The important thing is that he gets enough time in Norfolk to adjust to the ball, so that he’ll be very close to major league ready when 2022 begins.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Looks like Zach Watson was pushed up because they wants to promote Haskins.   Zach has not earned it.

Conroy and Peek are head scratchers.

Peek is 23 and needs to be pushed along.   He’s only had two starts in which he allowed more than 2 runs (in one, he allowed 7, which inflated his ERA).   Conroy is 24, and pitched pretty well over the last month.   

5 hours ago, coe76 said:

Do the minors clubs need to cut/demote players to balance out the promotions?  If so I wonder who got negatively affected.

I can't see any reason to keep Ryan Ripken at Norfolk now that Neustrom will be added to the roster, and there's certainly no reason to demote him to Bowie.

2 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

I can't see any reason to keep Ryan Ripken at Norfolk now that Neustrom will be added to the roster, and there's certainly no reason to demote him to Bowie.

Oh, there’s a reason.   Just not one relating to merit.   

• Haha 1