Fangraphs ranks Rutschman 24th in trade value in MLB

Frobby

From the article: 

As noted in the Honorable Mentions, it’s tough to put a prospect on this list unless they are absolutely special. Adley Rutschman is absolutely special. One scout who saw him recently graded him out as a slightly above-average hitter with plus power and impact-level defense. In possession of a big-league approach at the plate, it’s easy to argue that Rutschman is ready for the majors right now, though Baltimore will likely control his service time in a way that benefits the organization at Rutschman’s expense. That’s the unfortunate dichotomy in most team’s current approach to service time, one that will likely be a key point of contention in the upcoming CBA talks.

Rutschman’s makeup and game management are just as impressive as his talent on the field. “[His] leadership from behind the plate is unlike anything I’ve ever seen,” said one scout who has gotten multiple looks at 2019’s first overall pick this year. “He was meeting veteran arms at the foul line in spring training after the inning to pat them on the ass and talk it through,” the scout added. “I think he’s going to mean as much as [Jason] Varitek or [Buster] Posey to an organization.” The Orioles are in desperate need of an impact player to point their organization in the right direction and Rutschman looks like just that.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-trade-value-21-to-30/

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

From the article: 

As noted in the Honorable Mentions, it’s tough to put a prospect on this list unless they are absolutely special. Adley Rutschman is absolutely special. One scout who saw him recently graded him out as a slightly above-average hitter with plus power and impact-level defense. In possession of a big-league approach at the plate, it’s easy to argue that Rutschman is ready for the majors right now, though Baltimore will likely control his service time in a way that benefits the organization at Rutschman’s expense. That’s the unfortunate dichotomy in most team’s current approach to service time, one that will likely be a key point of contention in the upcoming CBA talks.

Rutschman’s makeup and game management are just as impressive as his talent on the field. “[His] leadership from behind the plate is unlike anything I’ve ever seen,” said one scout who has gotten multiple looks at 2019’s first overall pick this year. “He was meeting veteran arms at the foul line in spring training after the inning to pat them on the ass and talk it through,” the scout added. “I think he’s going to mean as much as [Jason] Varitek or [Buster] Posey to an organization.” The Orioles are in desperate need of an impact player to point their organization in the right direction and Rutschman looks like just that.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-trade-value-21-to-30/

Gosh, I guess that means the O's best prospect must be in the top 20. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gosh, I guess that means the O's best prospect must be in the top 20. 

It’s not my fault that Fangraphs underrated Rodriguez!  ?

Seriously, the article makes me happy.   I’m glad to see they are not moving off their evaluation.   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s not my fault that Fangraphs underrated Rodriguez!  ?

Seriously, the article makes me happy.   I’m glad to see they are not moving off their evaluation.   

It’s weird isn’t it.  One off month and yet they still feel he is the same guy they rated so highly before that bad month.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s weird isn’t it.  One off month and yet they still feel he is the same guy they rated so highly before that bad month.  

I for one find that he hasn't been quite as good at throwing out basestealers as we expected to be a huge deal in an era in which almost no one runs.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It feels a bit like it did the first couple weeks of the season when everyone was worried. Then, a month later, everyone wanted him to be in Triple-A. Now, people are worried again. 

FWIW despite Mr. Scuffles' scuffles, noted Fangraphs easy grader Eric Longenhagen somehow saw a path to revising his FV from 65 to 70 based on his midseason look.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/daily-prospect-notes-draft-prospects-added-to-team-lists/

Adley Rutschman’s rank didn’t change but he moved from the 65 FV tier to the 70 FV tier on the strength of his Futures Game look. He is not normal. A switch-hitter his size, with his kind of rotational explosion, who has the bat-to-ball feel to switch which side of the cage he’s hitting in mid-batting practice session and just keep hitting bombs is not normal, and this is also an elite defensive catcher and locker room guy. He’s now in the FV tier Shohei Ohtani, Fernando Tatis Jr., Ronald Acuña Jr., and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. were in as prospects.

5 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

FWIW despite Mr. Scuffles' scuffles, noted Fangraphs easy grader Eric Longenhagen somehow saw a path to revising his FV from 65 to 70 based on his midseason look.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/daily-prospect-notes-draft-prospects-added-to-team-lists/

Adley Rutschman’s rank didn’t change but he moved from the 65 FV tier to the 70 FV tier on the strength of his Futures Game look. He is not normal. A switch-hitter his size, with his kind of rotational explosion, who has the bat-to-ball feel to switch which side of the cage he’s hitting in mid-batting practice session and just keep hitting bombs is not normal, and this is also an elite defensive catcher and locker room guy. He’s now in the FV tier Shohei Ohtani, Fernando Tatis Jr., Ronald Acuña Jr., and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. were in as prospects.

I find it weird that someone could have their grade improved by looking good in the Futures Game (which I think actually means, batting practice at the Futures Game).  But whatever.   I’d rather be wrong than right about my concerns about Rutschman.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I find it weird that someone could have their grade improved by looking good in the Futures Game (which I think actually means, batting practice at the Futures Game.   But whatever.   I’d rather be wrong than right about my concerns about Rutschman.   

Embellishing of course for fun, I suspect the exuberance maybe from Longenhagen getting a live look amid the exciting Futures Game setting.   I'm guessing Futures batting practice balls did not get humidor-ed same as the Home Run Derby ones.

11 minutes ago, byrdz said:

Discussed in the Fangraphs draft thread. That places the Os 2nd in their farm system rankings. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2021-in-season-prospect-list/farm-ranking?sort=-1,1&type=100&filter=&pos=&team=

WOW.   Was just looking and they now have Adley no. 2, Grayson no. 16, and DL no. 22.   Not too shabby!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

We might be able to take down Tampa if after 2022 pick 1-2 is added to the system Rutschman and Rodriguez remain prospect eligible!

The minute Wander Franco no longer qualifies as a prospect, $180 mm comes off their valuation.  That will happen in about two weeks.