Orioles trade discussion thread

Sports Guy

2020 Renato Nunez OPS+ : 119

2021 Renato Nunez contract status: non-tendered and signed to a minor league deal

2021 Trey Mancini OPS+ : 119

Trey won’t be non-tendered but you can see how far the market values “good bat ONLY” types. Don’t think that extension proposal is smart. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

2021 Renato Nunez contract status: non-tendered and signed to a minor league deal

Trey won’t be non-tendered but you can see how far the market values “good bat ONLY” types. Don’t think that extension proposal is smart. 

Great post!

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

Nunez is tearing up AAA with a .945 OPS. He just turned 27 as well. He should be a guy we target as a milb signing in the offseason for AAA depth. 

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

Mancini is better defensively than Nunez, which isn’t saying much.   Plus, he’s had the better career with the bat.  So, I think he clearly has significantly more market value than Nunez.   Not 3/$40 mm in value, though.   

I really don't want to extend Mancini. It's not that I don't think he can be good for the next few years and valuable at the right price, but I think the resources can be better allocated elsewhere. We've got Mountcastle who can be a good first baseman, and we probably want to keep DH/1B somewhat open to get Adley's bat in the lineup as much as we can

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mancini is better defensively than Nunez, which isn’t saying much.   Plus, he’s had the better career with the bat.  So, I think he clearly has significantly more market value than Nunez.   Not 3/$40 mm in value, though.   

Right…Nunez should have been kept on the team for a myriad of reasons and it’s true that his bat could replace Mancini in many (albeit not all) ways.  Same was true for a lot of guys w/r/t Nunez.

That being said, it’s also pretty clear that Mancini brings a better all around game and there is more off the field value with him as well.

2 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I really don't want to extend Mancini. It's not that I don't think he can be good for the next few years and valuable at the right price, but I think the resources can be better allocated elsewhere. We've got Mountcastle who can be a good first baseman, and we probably want to keep DH/1B somewhat open to get Adley's bat in the lineup as much as we can

Yep.  It doesn’t make much sense to extend Trey.  If he never went through the cancer issue, would we be having this conversation?

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep.  It doesn’t make much sense to extend Trey.  If he never went through the cancer issue, would we be having this conversation?

I think we’d be having the conversation.  There would be a little less emotion behind it.  Trey’s a good hitter and even before the cancer issue was showing some leadership qualities and was a fan favorite.   But we’ve all seen that extensions can blow up in your face, and as it happens we have some younger, cheaper candidates to fill his spot.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think we’d be having the conversation.  There would be a little less emotion behind it.  Trey’s a good hitter and even before the cancer issue was showing some leadership qualities and was a fan favorite.   But we’ve all seen that extensions can blow up in your face, and as it happens we have some younger, cheaper candidates to fill his spot.   

Yes, some level of conversation would be occurring because he is well liked and people gravitate to their players.

That being said, when I say the conversation, I am saying it more on an Elias level.  How much of what Trey went through is pushing that narrative for the organization?  Elias isn't dumb.  He sees what is happening with the team.  He knows he has Mountcastle and Adley and others to fill that first base/DH role.  So why would you extend a soon to be on the wrong side of 30 player with very little value when he isn't hitting?  To me, its all emotional at this point.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So why would you extend a soon to be on the wrong side of 30 player with very little value when he isn't hitting?  To me, its all emotional at this point.

No reason. And I like Mancini a lot, but as GM (or whatever title  the decision maker has) I’m not signing him for his personality or the narrative behind him. I don’t want any part of that even to come into my thinking. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, some level of conversation would be occurring because he is well liked and people gravitate to their players.

That being said, when I say the conversation, I am saying it more on an Elias level.  How much of what Trey went through is pushing that narrative for the organization?  Elias isn't dumb.  He sees what is happening with the team.  He knows he has Mountcastle and Adley and others to fill that first base/DH role.  So why would you extend a soon to be on the wrong side of 30 player with very little value when he isn't hitting?  To me, its all emotional at this point.

I'd certainly think about extending Trey but for no more than 3 yrs and a contract value not to exceed $12M AAV. Other than maybe Means and Mullins, we don't really have any candidates for extension so funds shouldn't be an issue over the course of that period of time. There is an argument that his production could be somewhat replaced for far cheaper, but again, don't think we'd necessarily be directing those funds elsewhere.