Orioles trade Armstrong to Tampa for cash considerations

Sports Guy

Just now, RZNJ said:

Really?  He was release material which is how we got him.

Yeah, this about giving a guy a chance when they assessed him as having none with the Orioles any longer. Saying that, he's been pretty good over his last nine appearances (1.80, .216 OAVG) in AAA so who knows?

The Orioles need to test out some other arms and at his age, he's not going to have real trade value. He was going to be a minor league free agent anyways so it's doubtful he would return.

• Upvote 1

Good move.   He was going to be released in two months anyway.  To get anything for him is a good thing.  SG has been in Armstrong's corner for a long time so it understandable that he thinks its a dumb move.   Armstrong has 3 years of service time so he will be arbitration eligible if he is on someone's major league roster this off season.

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Good move.   He was going to be released in two months anyway.  To get anything for him is a good thing.  SG has been in Armstrong's corner for a long time so it understandable that he thinks its a dumb move.   Armstrong has 3 years of service time so he will be arbitration eligible if he is on someone's major league roster this off season.

Well, they didn't get anything for him.

• Tony-OH changed the title to Orioles trade Armstrong to Tampa for cash considerations

I'm sure that Armstrong is capable of putting together a streak of competent outings.  But I'm also sure he'll eventually follow that with another streak of bad outings.  Selling him doesn't bother me and I won't let any short amount of success that he has change my mind about that.

17 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I'm sure that Armstrong is capable of putting together a streak of competent outings.  But I'm also sure he'll eventually follow that with another streak of bad outings.  Selling him doesn't bother me and I won't let any short amount of success that he has change my mind about that.

Maybe the Rays will spring for a nanny for him.

I dislike the move because it doesn't help you.  Armstrong, a guy who has had a very good MiL career and showed glimpses up here (especially peripheral stats) doesn't block anyone from getting a chance.  He represents someone who could potentially help you at this level and makes little to no money.  

He may suck for the rest of his career and never live up to what he has done in the minors but this is a nothing move.  It accomplishes nothing.  Even if the Orioles make a trade and send the money they got for him in the deal to help with the return, it still makes no sense because the money is so little that you shouldn't need to do that to make the move.

I just don't get the point of making a move for no reason.  Im guessing the lefty they claimed will take his spot in AAA but whatever, you could have done things to do that anyway.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I dislike the move because it doesn't help you.  Armstrong, a guy who has had a very good MiL career and showed glimpses up here (especially peripheral stats) doesn't block anyone from getting a chance.  He represents someone who could potentially help you at this level and makes little to no money.  

He may suck for the rest of his career and never live up to what he has done in the minors but this is a nothing move.  It accomplishes nothing.  Even if the Orioles make a trade and send the money they got for him in the deal to help with the return, it still makes no sense because the money is so little that you shouldn't need to do that to make the move.

I just don't get the point of making a move for no reason.  Im guessing the lefty they claimed will take his spot in AAA but whatever, you could have done things to do that anyway.

A nothing move.  Insignificant.   So insignifcant that it's hard to believe there's a discussion about it.