Connor Norby 2021

Tony-OH

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Which really should happen when they are college guys playing in leagues where they are older than a lot of guys.

So that’s good…they are doing what you expect and not crapping the bed. 

Thing is, with COVID, being 21 in Low A ball is not old at all this year. Average hitters are 21.3 and average pitchers are 22 this year in Low-A East. 

So they are on par age wise but behind in professional PAs than most. Them doing well is a good initial sign.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think 4-4 in strikeouts is the golden sombrero.   What is 5 for 5 strikeouts in one game?    A bad bottle of tequila? 

Connor Norby struck out all 5 times to the plate last night.   Probably the last guy in the entire system you'd expect that from.   Very strange BUT true.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think 4-4 in strikeouts is the golden sombrero.   What is 5 for 5 strikeouts in one game?    A bad bottle of tequila? 

Connor Norby struck out all 5 times to the plate last night.   Probably the last guy in the entire system you'd expect that from.   Very strange BUT true.

Even Chris Davis never struck out 5 times in 5 at bats in the majors, though he did strike out 5 times in a game twice (including the game where he picked up the W pitching the 16th and 17th innings against Boston). 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Even Chris Davis never struck out 5 times in 5 at bats in the majors, though he did strike out 5 times in a game twice (including the game where he picked up the W pitching the 16th and 17th innings against Boston). 

He homered his first time up tonight.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Still, this is an alarming development.   He was known to have way more walks than K's during his college career.   He has 26 K's in 85 at-bats!!!!?

It becomes less alarming when you see that it is over 102 plate appearances.  A 25 percent k rate is about average these days. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

Still, this is an alarming development.   He was known to have way more walks than K's during his college career.   He has 26 K's in 85 at-bats!!!!?

43 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It becomes less alarming when you see that it is over 102 plate appearances.  A 25 percent k rate is about average these days. 

Also, for whatever reason he got off to a very slow start in the FCL.   Since moving to Delmarva, he has 19 K’s in 83 PA, a 22.9% K rate.   That’s not great, but below the 25.5% average in the Low A East.   So, consider me not alarmed, especially in the context of his .284/.398/.493 overall slash line.    

• 1 month later...

Norby should probably be mentioned more.  He actually did well at Delmarva - with an .847 OPS in 126 plate appearances and the SO rate per plate appearance wasn't so bad - at 22.2%.  He did have several errors, but I don't think that's an issue.  

20 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Norby should probably be mentioned more.  He actually did well at Delmarva - with an .847 OPS in 126 plate appearances and the SO rate per plate appearance wasn't so bad - at 22.2%.  He did have several errors, but I don't think that's an issue.  

The O's have Henderson, Westburg, Norby, Ortiz and Hernaiz in the middle infield. Vavra in theory too.

Mullins, Hays, Santander, Stowers, Neustrom, Cowser, Kjerstad and some of the recent draftees in the OF. 

You can see where the trades are going to come from. Some real talent here.

As to your point, yes, Norby can hit. He's a hell of a prospect who shouldn't fall far down Tony's list. Notice that in the last power rankings he's above Westburg. People are sleeping on this kid a bit. They shouldn't.

17 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

The O's have Henderson, Westburg, Norby, Ortiz and Hernaiz in the middle infield. Vavra in theory too.

Mullins, Hays, Santander, Stowers, Neustrom, Cowser, Kjerstad and some of the recent draftees in the OF. 

You can see where the trades are going to come from. Some real talent here.

As to your point, yes, Norby can hit. He's a hell of a prospect who shouldn't fall far down Tony's list. Notice that in the last power rankings he's above Westburg. People are sleeping on this kid a bit. They shouldn't.

Agreed on all points.  I brought Norby up because I hadn't heard his name mentioned in a long time.  Notice, the most recent post in this thread before mine was September 9th.  Same thing with Ortiz, btw - I don't think he's talked about very much and could be an important part of the rebuild.  Westburg gets talked about quite a lot - as he should be.    

• Upvote 1

Ortiz could be the SS of the future if that start last year was real. I don't know enough about his profile to actually predict that, and Tony had him way lower than I'd expect in the rankings, but he was putting on a show for a while there.

If Ortiz is THAT good, now you're figuring out who to trade or who to move to CoF. Again, then you're figuring out who to trade because of the OF prospects.

Bottom line...there's a way to bring in pitching. lol

23 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Ortiz could be the SS of the future if that start last year was real. I don't know enough about his profile to actually predict that, and Tony had him way lower than I'd expect in the rankings, but he was putting on a show for a while there.

If Ortiz is THAT good, now you're figuring out who to trade or who to move to CoF. Again, then you're figuring out who to trade because of the OF prospects.

Bottom line...there's a way to bring in pitching. lol

Remember, that was a power rankings, not an actual prospect rankings. Ortiz was looking good before the injury.

• 2 weeks later...