Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

CD is a wash for me. 

Yes, the good times were grand. Key hit in the final game of 2011 to knock out the Sux. The relief appearance. All the bombs. 

But it is impossible to forget the suspension when we needed him most, and one of the worst contacts in sports history. And him being kind of a jerk about it. 

Frankly I am just glad it is over, sort of. 

45 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

So, even if there is a lockout, Davis will still get paid every penny next year.  I just wish Davis put as much effort into maximizing his value to the O's as he does in maximizing the payouts of his contract.  From what I understand, even if there is a lockout, Davis will still be paid his full 2022 salary, just not all in 2022.  The sacrifices this guy makes!

That's why I'm curious on why the Orioles decided now this late in the season to agree to a settlement. It seems like a work stoppage is a very real possibility in 2022, but maybe the chances of one actually happening are overblown?  Otherwise this move could cost the Orioles millions of dollars. 

12 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That's why I'm curious on why the Orioles decided now this late in the season to agree to a settlement. It seems like a work stoppage is a very real possibility in 2022, but maybe the chances of one actually happening are overblown?  Otherwise this move could cost the Orioles millions of dollars. 

Maybe because I have to imagine a work stoppage could kill the sport. Is that a risk either side is actual willing to take? 

28 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

We don’t know all the details of how this is structured.   There could be provisions that reduce the amount paid if there’s a stoppage.  Or maybe the concessions Davis made otherwise were enough that the O’s feel it’s advantageous even if a stoppage occurs, unless it’s a really long stoppage.  One thing about Boras, he’s pretty creative about finding ways to advantage his clients but also have advantages for the team that don’t create a detriment for his client.   So maybe they came up with something.  

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We don’t know all the details of how this is structured.   There could be provisions that reduce the amount paid if there’s a stoppage.  Or maybe the concessions Davis made otherwise were enough that the O’s feel it’s advantageous even if a stoppage occurs, unless it’s a really long stoppage.  One thing about Boras, he’s pretty creative about finding ways to advantage his clients but also have advantages for the team that don’t create a detriment for his client.   So maybe they came up with something.  

If it is a lockout and not a strike do the players not eventually get paid?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If it is a lockout and not a strike do the players not eventually get paid?

A lockout just means that there is no new CBA at the start of the season.  Games can’t be played without an agreement in place.  If the season is shortened, any final agreement with the union will determine how many games the players get paid for.

13 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm just hoping that every year we can have a Bonilla-like day when Davis gets his deferred payment and the entire social media-verse can laugh and laugh, and demonstrate that they have no concept of the time value of money.

Ironic thing is that the Nats, who a few posters here love to bring up as... something that somehow disparages the O's and their FO, defer money a ton. I imagine it's in part due to the fact that Lerner, who is a commercial real estate developer/investor, very much understands time value of money deeply in his soul. 

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would assume that whether there's a work stoppage d/t a lockout/strike or even Covid resurgence or another disaster, Davis will get paid regardless.  It was Boras maximizing the money Davis receives.  No matter what, Davis will receive $23 million for not playing for the O's in 2022.  It just won't all be paid in 2022. 

The biggest takeaway from the Davis contract is that bad things usually happen when you let non baseball people, like owners make baseball decisions on an emotional basis.  Knowing how unattached Elias is to players, he would either have given Davis a qualifying offer, traded him before the trade deadline, or offered him a lowball contract.  There would have been an outcry by the fanbase, but it would have been the right decision.

12 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

In looking at Davis the past couple years compared to his 2012 to 2016 prime, it looks like he lost 15 to 20 pounds of muscle from his body. 

I agree with what you are seeing, but I don’t think he was juicing. I just think he stopped working out.

18 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Honestly the drop off the cliff after getting paid has ruined Davis for me. 

I don’t care if he got lazy, changed the drug regiment that made him successful, or whatever.

He basically stole 100+ million from the fans and contributed heavily to the collapse.

I know that Angelos agreed to pay him. But, it’s the fans that suffered most. The team was hamstrung from the contract and the results were terrible 

"Stole $100 million..." gets three up votes.

So in 2013 when he was worth 7.1 WAR, finished 3rd in the MVP race, lead the league in HRs and was making $3 million dollars...were the owners stealing from him?

• Upvote 1

I think it's a shame that Davis insisted on being paid the rest of his salary he should have just quit and let the rest of the contract be voided.  So many millions of dollars wasted.  It's nice that he gives a small percentage of it to charity but why couldn't he just walk away.  

The way he has played recent years  is frankly disgraceful, setting the all time record for hitless AB and hitting well below the Mendoza line of .200 with all those strikeouts.

I recall Al Kaine refused part of his salary one year or accepted a pay cut for the next year because he had an off year and said he didn't deserve it.. How times have changed.  I would not want to keep money that I have not earned.  

Frankly this shows how free agency with no salary cap  has damaged MLB ,, the players have way too much power and their salaries are way too high. I was lucky that I'm an old geezer and that I followed MLB as a youth in the late 1960's and early 1970s before all these changes for the worse. 

23 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

I think it's a shame that Davis insisted on being paid the rest of his salary he should have just quit and let the rest of the contract be voided.  So many millions of dollars wasted.  It's nice that he gives a small percentage of it to charity but why couldn't he just walk away.  

The way he has played recent years  is frankly disgraceful, setting the all time record for hitless AB and hitting well below the Mendoza line of .200 with all those strikeouts.

I recall Al Kaine refused part of his salary one year or accepted a pay cut for the next year because he had an off year and said he didn't deserve it.. How times have changed.  I would not want to keep money that I have not earned.  

Frankly this shows how free agency with no salary cap  has damaged MLB ,, the players have way too much power and their salaries are way too high. I was lucky that I'm an old geezer and that I followed MLB as a youth in the late 1960's and early 1970s before all these changes for the worse. 

I trust Davis to put the money to better use than the ownership.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

Ask yourself, realistically and objectively:  if A) I had a situation where over $20M was at stake, B) I had two courses of action readily available to me, C) one option leads to obtaining over $20M, the other nets $0, and D) no one gets maimed, killed, hurt regardless of my decicion...  would you be able to walk away from that kind of money?

I can tell you here and now, 99.99% of people would not.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Ask yourself, realistically and objectively:  if A) I had a situation where over $20M was at stake, B) I had two courses of action readily available to me, C) one option leads to obtaining over $20M, the other nets $0, and D) no one gets maimed, killed, hurt regardless of my decicion...  would you be able to walk away from that kind of money?

I can tell you here and now, 99.99% of people would not.

Do I get to have $150 million in the bank before making the decision?