Elias: “...possibly as soon as this off-season, we will ratchet up those investments.......”

Aglets

Full quote for context:

My objective and kind of North Star through this whole thing is maximizing playoff odds for the Orioles over like a longtime horizon,” Elias said. “We have based our decisions on that, based our prioritization of investments with those goals in mind, and when the time comes that those are the best uses of our resources and efforts, and possibly as soon as this off-season, we will ratchet up those investments with those strategic goals in mind.”

Citation: https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/08/elias-we-are-very-much-on-track-with-what-were-trying-to-do.html

I am surprised that this quote hasn’t seen much play on here.  Or if it has I have missed it and I apologize.   I think this is worth discussing on here.  How much of this is just GM bs-talk trying to appease an upset fan base......or do you think he is being somewhat serious?

To my knowledge Elias has never really talked much like this until recently.  He has talked before this year about the time coming soon, and that he’s hopeful it won’t be too much longer etc.    I don’t recall any talk like this in 2019 or 2020.  

Note:   I do not take this to mean that we will be competing for “top tier” FA this coming off-season.   I think one possible interpretation of it though is that he might actually be open now to signing a FA to.........wait for it......... (insert gasp here)............. a MULTI YEAR deal!    I guess Iglesias was 1 year with an option right?   

Anyway.  I mean multiple guaranteed years.   Someone that could actually be a 2023 contributor and beyond.

Or maybe its just all empty words to try and placate the fans.  I admit I am not sure.  But I think Elias has been very straightforward with us for the most part about his plan for how to make the O’s a contender, and this is the first time I’ve seen him use language like this about the timetable being relatively close so I’m curious what everyone else thinks.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

But I think Elias has been very straightforward with us for the most part about his plan for how to make the O’s a contender, and this is the first time I’ve seen him use language like this about the timetable being relatively close so I’m curious what everyone else thinks.

I think the growing noise from the media and fans in conjunction with the black hole of this losing streak is forcing him to say something, so that the next national media piece on this debacle of a franchise could include that flicker of hope along with the rising status of the farm system.

People want to know what the roadmap is.

But "possibly as soon as this offseason" is pretty half-hearted and indicates he thinks 2022 is likely another slog.  I don't know.  To be fair to Elias he knows the market conditions and I don't.  A few Nate McLouth-type moves might be nice.  Can you get two decent starting pitchers on reasonable 3- or 4-year deals?  They really gotta shore up this rotation, this is not a legitimate baseball team as constructed.  And maybe adding some veteran pitching both brings some leadership to upcoming young starters as well as a kick in the ass--to say you will not be able to have a season like Jorge Lopez or Matt Harvey and stay in the rotation in 2022.

And then there's the CBA issue which I admit, I don't know the implications of everything being discussed in that CBA on this rebuild.

• Upvote 1

I firmly expect absolutely nothing of particular note or significant impact if they dabble a little more in free agency this offseason than in the last few, so watch him go out and drop $200+ million on Correa or Seager lol.

(Not that I am even really advocating for such a move, I just have been whiffing hard on pretty much all of my predictions this year)

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I believe Elias wants to sign players. What I'm less sure of is the Angelos family ready to open up their wallets after Davis, Trumbo and Cobb contracts being total busts. 

Yup, this where I’m at. What good GM doesn’t want to improve the team by spending some money on meaningful acquisitions? You can’t put together a winner solely by building the farm.

We don’t know if he has financial constraints, but it wouldn’t shock me to find out he does.

I noticed the same thing. I want to believe they will add players that will increase competitiveness at the ML level. He certainly was cautious how he said it, so there was no guarantees. But if you look at how things are lining up, yes, I expect Elias to make some moves to build a team that is interesting next year and competing for a playoff spot in 2023. 

It would make sense to add some mid-range veteran pitchers, and maybe a legitimate SS. If you follow the Padres’ model, Story and Correa will be very expensive FA’s. But signing one of them would solidify the defense and add a legit ML hitter to the lineup.  They could trade Mancini for a solid package, if there is one out there, and replace him with Mountcastle at 1B. They could trade some of the depth for more pitching. There are many ways to go from here, but they’ll need to make some trades more than anything. I do not really expect them to sign Correa or Story, but an argument could be made to do it. They certainly have the payroll space.

13 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yup, this where I’m at. What good GM doesn’t want to improve the team by spending some money on meaningful acquisitions? You can’t put together a winner solely by building the farm.

We don’t know if he has financial constraints, but it wouldn’t shock me to find out he does.

Stating the obvious, but we know there is dysfunction with ownership. Dan Duquette wasn't allowed to invest in international player development unlike Elias.

Maybe Elias is in a pure tank job right now with payroll and when the Orioles are ready to compete the checkbook will open up. But like others have already stated, I need to see it to believe it. 

And you're correct it's not realistic to think the O's can make the playoffs without meaningful acquisitions. 

17 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

There are many ways to go from here, but they’ll need to make some trades more than anything. I do not really expect them to sign Correa or Story, but an argument could be made to do it. They certainly have the payroll space.

Trevor Story is a player I'm not interested looking at his career home and road batting splits. I would rather sign Corey Seager or Correa.

Elias was instrumental in the Astros drafting Correa. Just maybe Elias can recruit Correa to be one of the stars in turning around the Orioles. Of course the money will have to be enough and we don't know if there will be limits placed on payroll by ownership. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=storytr01&year=Career&t=b

Mike Elias, the Astros’ driving force behind picking Carlos Correa, reflects on the No. 1 pick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm remaining skeptical about this offseason because every offseason has practically been a joke.  

I like that quote from Elias.  I've pointed out before that he's mastered "GM speak" which is to say a lot and say nothing at all at the same time.  This quote might fall into that, although it seems to give away more than he usually does.

The one thing that gives me hope this offseason is that AR and G-Rod will be up next year and that means it's go-time.  The #1 ranked player in the minors and the best pitching prospect in the game are going to be in Baltimore next summer.  It's what we've all been waiting for. 

The clock will be ticking and that means it's time for Elias and the Angelos brothers to step up and deliver in free agency.  I'm not saying that we have to go after the priciest free agents out there, but we do need to bring some guys in that are good.  I'd be good with Robbie Ray, Stroman, a Gausman reunion (though he's probably too expensive), Matz, Danny Duffy, even Jon Gray.  There are plenty of mid-tier pitchers out there who we should be able to be in on and stop making this team a doormat.

In other words, we can't bring up AR and G-Rod and leave them on this roster as presently constructed (or augmented with more King Felix/Matt Harvey types and quad-A guys) and I hope Elias and the Angelos brothers feel the same way.  

• Upvote 1

I don't think Elias will sign any long term expensive contracts this off season.  Elias said 'we will look at what we have in the system' (paraphrased).  That means to me he will fill holes this off season with better quality veteran players.

When look at what they have for the rotation:

Means: projects to miss a month with injury

Grayson: Probably not until June

Baumann: Maybe 130 IP, 25 starts, has he did in 2019

Tyler Wells:  Maybe 120 IP, 22 starts, has he did in 2018

Zimmerman: Maybe 140 IP, 25 starts, has he did in 2019

Other O's starters may contribute.

There is room here of a veteran starter, but good FA starters don't come to Baltimore willingly.  Probably the best chance to get one is in a trade for Mancini.  If that does not work maybe a 2/30 deal like the Rays did with Charlie Morton.

I can see the O's adding two veteran relievers on one or two year deals

Mateo/Urias/Vavra have 2B covered but a one year deal for a SS until Westburg/Ortiz/Mateo are ready at SS in 2023 makes sense.

A one deal at 3B with Westburg/Dorrian in 2023 and Henderson in 2024.

That is adding 5 players.  A tall order but probably what Elias needs to do.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Elias will sign any long term expensive contracts this off season.  Elias said 'we will look at what we have in the system' (paraphrased).  That means to me he will fill holes this off season with better quality veteran players.

When look at what they have for the rotation:

Means: projects to miss a month with injury

Grayson: Probably not until June

Baumann: Maybe 130 IP, 25 starts, has he did in 2019

Tyler Wells:  Maybe 120 IP, 22 starts, has he did in 2018

Zimmerman: Maybe 140 IP, 25 starts, has he did in 2019

Other O's starters may contribute.

There is room here of a veteran starter, but good FA starters don't come to Baltimore willingly.  Probably the best chance to get one is in a trade for Mancini.  If that does not work maybe a 2/30 deal like the Rays did with Charlie Morton.

I can see the O's adding two veteran relievers on one or two year deals

Mateo/Urias/Vavra have 2B covered but a one year deal for a SS until Westburg/Ortiz/Mateo are ready at SS in 2023 makes sense.

A one deal at 3B with Westburg/Dorrian in 2023 and Henderson in 2024.

That is adding 5 players.  A tall order but probably what Elias needs to do.

If he doesn't get a Morton-like veteran starter or two in the offseason, I really don't care what else he does.  I'll consider the offseason a failure.  

• Like 1