New Rosenthal column

eddie83

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Bite me, Kenny!

Who's with me in boycotting the playoffs because of the Orioles' cowardly tanking?! I know my fandom was ruined forever because they won 52 games instead of 68 because they didn't sign Jay Payton, Danys Baez and Kevin Millar, and instead wasted the some of that cash on so-called player development and nerd-ball "analytics". #jokeofateam #neveragain #movetonashvilleandgetusrealbaseball

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Who's with me in boycotting the playoffs because of the Orioles' cowardly tanking?! I know my fandom was ruined forever because they won 52 games instead of 68 because they didn't sign Jay Payton, Danys Baez and Kevin Millar, and instead wasted the some of that cash on so-called player development and nerd-ball "analytics". #jokeofateam #neveragain #movetonashvilleandgetusrealbaseball

I'm guessing Ken will now be asking for the Orioles to give back their Competitive Balance pick since they won the division.   We also should not get the pick if Gunnar wins ROY...because...you know..."tanking".

• Haha 1

I still hate tanking, and this is the time to say it because there's no crutch to lean on for me.

But considering they lost 115 freaking games before the "tank" started I'm not sure if it's a suitable label, rather than just an old-fashioned rebuild.  That 2018 team still had Jones, Machado, Mancini, Schoop, Bundy, Gausman, Brach, Davis and Trumbo for most of the year.  And Alex Cobb and Andrew Cashner.  115 games!!

After the rebuild started in earnest they were only bad for three seasons, and I don't think they were intentionally losing games, they were just a skeleton team.  It was the right thing to do.  It had to be done.  The only doubt in my mind was whether they would do it well or have a bad "rebuild" lasting a decade or more.  They certainly did it well.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I still hate tanking, and this is the time to say it because there's no crutch to lean on for me.

But considering they lost 115 freaking games before the "tank" started I'm not sure if it's a suitable label, rather than just an old-fashioned rebuild.  That 2018 team still had Jones, Machado, Mancini, Schoop, Bundy, Gausman, Brach, Davis and Trumbo for most of the year.  And Alex Cobb and Andrew Cashner.  115 games!!

After the rebuild started in earnest they were only bad for three seasons, and I don't think they were intentionally losing games, they were just a skeleton team.  It was the right thing to do.  It had to be done.  The only doubt in my mind was whether they would do it well or have a bad "rebuild" lasting a decade or more.  They certainly did it well.

They intentionally put a team on the field that couldn’t compete. Call it intentionally losing or whatever but that’s what they did.

Now, with that said, I also don’t believe those were 50 win talent teams either. I don’t think any teams are that bad but you can have seasons that are that bad.

Just as great seasons are sometimes not indicative of the team on the field, it’s the same for terrible teams but in any given season, lots can go right or go wrong and things can snowball.

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They intentionally put a team on the field that couldn’t compete. Call it intentionally losing or whatever but that’s what they did.

Now, with that said, I also don’t believe those were 50 win talent teams either. I don’t think any teams are that bad but you can have seasons that are that bad.

Just as great seasons are sometimes not indicative of the team on the field, it’s the same for terrible teams but in any given season, lots can go right or go wrong and things can snowball.

Did they intentionally put a team on the field to lose 115 games?

This is the only way that a mid-market team can win a division in which Boston, Toronto, and New York teams play. The Orioles are a compelling story this year because they have the second lowest payroll in MLB and the best record in the AL. This is good for baseball. I have been surprised reading the social networks and seeing almost universal praising of the Orioles organization by fans of other teams.

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

This is the only way that a mid-market team can win a division in which Boston, Toronto, and New York teams play. The Orioles are a compelling story this year because they have the second lowest payroll in MLB and the best record in the AL. This is good for baseball. I have been surprised reading the social networks and seeing almost universal praising of the Orioles organization by fans of other teams.

Do you know Tampa is in a division with Boston, Toronto and New York?

They won the division in 2020 and 2021.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Do you know Tampa is in a division with Boston, Toronto and New York?

They won the division in 2020 and 2021.

They have a system similar to the Orioles (the system the Orioles are preparing to follow going forward).

(Why did I unmute you is a more important question.)

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

They have a system similar to the Orioles (the system the Orioles are preparing to follow going forward).

(Why did I unmute you is a more important question.)

That makes no sense.

I mean, muting me does if you make posts like this all the time I can see how you wouldn't want to read my responses.

The O's HAVE to tank so they can do the same thing as a team that has had one top 10 pick since 2008?

Are the Rays still living off that Beckham pick?