Jones UP!! (Franco DFA)

Yardball85

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Looks like Mateo moves to SS.

This looks like checking out Jones and Gutierrez to see if they should be protected this off season.

Don't forget that Urias best position in 2B.

Can any of these guys pitch?

Sure, once Chris Holt works his magic on them.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It was interesting how the desire to see Jones get called up waned on here when his hitting plummeted.

Maybe they fixed his defense in the span of a few weeks?  I'm very excited!!

I can tell by your use of multiple exclamation marks.

Only someone truly excited would do such a thing.

15 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm not expecting Jones to develop into a solid everyday starter, but we know Franco isn't the answer at 3B and won't be on the team next year. 

Maybe Jahmai Jones will surprise like Mateo has done so far. It's time to to make some moves and shake up the malaise of a team losing every game. 

This is where I'm at.  Play him in regular season games and see what you got going into the offseason.  I would like to see Urias at third, Mateo at short, and Jones at second at least 5 times a week.  Got to evaluate these guys. 

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It was interesting how the desire to see Jones get called up waned on here when his hitting plummeted.

Maybe they fixed his defense in the span of a few weeks?  I'm very excited!!

Lol.  I knew he was never as good as a .900 + OPS, but if he could OPS in the mid .700s and at least show some capabilities with the glove, he could be a factor next season.  Nothing to lose by trying. 

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

Lol.  I knew he was never as good as a .900 + OPS, but if he could OPS in the mid .700s and at least show some capabilities with the glove, he could be a factor next season.  Nothing to lose by trying. 

Correct, nothing to lose by trying.  I just don't think he's going to amount to much.

Looking forward to seeing @Philip's critique on his defense.

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

This is where I'm at.  Play him in regular season games and see what you got going into the offseason.  I would like to see Urias at third, Mateo at short, and Jones at second at least 5 times a week.  Got to evaluate these guys. 

And six weeks is still a decent amount of time to see if Jones can sink or swim. It's still in the small sample size realm, but it's better than Jones getting 10 games of action in September. And Jones is another player that can absolutely fly around the base paths.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Correct, nothing to lose by trying.  I just don't think he's going to amount to much.

Looking forward to seeing @Philip's critique on his defense.

Well, considering he was willing to trade Mountcastle for a bag of balls, I think his write up on Jones will be must read message board content. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And six weeks is still a decent amount of time to see if Jones can sink or swim. It's still in the small sample size realm, but it's better than Jones getting 10 games of action in September. And Jones is another player that can absolutely fly around the base paths.

Exactly.  He should've been recalled a while ago with a Franco DFA, but better now than in mid-September.  I guess the O's are now okay with his defense. 

So refresh my memory, were Jones and Gutierrez already on the 40 man?   

In which case we have;

26 man:  Jones & Gutierrez added, Martin & Franco subtracted

40 man:  Franco subtracted, Connor Greene added.

So Greene is going to Norfolk?

Franco getting DFA'd is the bigger story to me then Jones getting called up. Not expecting much from Jones at this point.  Jones isnt going to provide anything that Urias or Mateo can at 2B. Maybe it shifts one of them to 3B. I guess this could also be our starting infield next year, which isnt nothing I Guess.

Wow, why are the good moves being made weeks too late?

Meanwhile, when I go back and watch highlights from 2012, I keep forgetting that Wilson Betemit was our third baseman For much of that season. You know how the brain blocks out bad memories…

If Jones is better than Betemit/Reynolds/Nunez, I’ll forgive him for not being Manny.