Jones UP!! (Franco DFA)

Yardball85

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Could be a "one last chance to show us something" move rather than a "promotion because you deserve it and are part of the plan move." I wouldn't necessarily interpret it as the org preferring Gutierrez. 

I took it as them being hopeful that Bannon can build on his recent success and possibly get back on the prospect radar. He's got a lot of prior evidence to the contrary to overcome, so I would have taken a Bannon promotion as evidence that they just wanted a warm body. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Wish I could say I was excited, but Jones has been stone cold for several weeks and I’m not expecting to see much here.  

Yep, really strange promotion. Bannon has been white hot and I'd rather see him than a struggling Jones and a never will be like Gutierrez.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Wish I could say I was excited, but Jones has been stone cold for several weeks and I’m not expecting to see much here.  

He'll see "The Show" (I know he already has a bit...) See the pitchers and the nasty tricks they have. He'll get to strictly play 2B and get more experience. Work with whichever coach is the ML IF guru, ML Hitting Coach.

Learning experience. He AND Gutierrez won't make a bit of difference. Franco gone won't make a bit of difference. If they do we'll only lose the #1 pick. GO ORIOLES!!! LOSE! LOSE! LOSE! :clap:

I guess Urias is our SS now? Kind of obvious...

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Looks like Mateo moves to SS.

This looks like checking out Jones and Gutierrez to see if they should be protected this off season.

Don't forget that Urias best position in 2B.

Can any of these guys pitch?

I forgot about Mateo.

edit: As for his skills as a SS...... he's REALLY fast!

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Could be a "one last chance to show us something" move rather than a "promotion because you deserve it and are part of the plan move." I wouldn't necessarily interpret it as the org preferring Gutierrez. 

You do have to wonder if this is Jones' audition to stay on the 40-man. He really has had a poor year in AAA this year.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You do have to wonder if this is Jones' audition to stay on the 40-man. He really has had a poor year in AAA this year.

He's still youngish (24) with options. I'm not sure he would be DFAd unless there was another middle infielder worthy of a spot. I guess it depends on how much they believe in Mateo (26 with no options). 

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep, really strange promotion. Bannon has been white hot and I'd rather see him than a struggling Jones and a never will be like Gutierrez.

Is that a question might get asked?Roch is just a Shill, But this is the kind of thing Connelly might ask?

52 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I think Jones will play 2B, while Urias and Gutierrez share 3B, and Matteo plays SS.  Actually, Urias will probably play some at all 3 positions - depending on which of the 3 others is doing the worst.  

Exactly.  4 guys for 3 positions, you can sit one each day and they all get plenty of playing time.   Gutierrez at 3B, Jones at 2B, Mateo at 2B/SS, Urias at all 3.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Is that a question might get asked?Roch is just a Shill, But this is the kind of thing Connelly might ask?

Ask who?   Hyde doesn't make roster decisions, so he wouldn't say much if asked, and Elias gave his one press conference for the month a few days ago.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's still youngish (24) with options. I'm not sure he would be DFAd unless there was another middle infielder worthy of a spot. I guess it depends on how much they believe in Mateo (26 with no options). 

There will be guys we have to add to avoid Rule 5 in the offseason.   Some guys will have to go.

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

Putting him "on the shelf" for now to look at other options? Make the final decisions this offseason. We've seen Martin enough to kinda know what he is.

He's had some miscues on defense.   He's a defense first guy so if he's not doing that well... he's in trouble.