Minor League Tidbits

RZNJ

On 9/12/2021 at 11:33 AM, RZNJ said:

Norfolk -  In Zach Burdi's first 4 appearances.   4 IP, 2 hits, 1 run, 2 walks, 10 strikeouts.   You can always hope the light bulb goes on when you get him.

Felix Bauista, 12 appearances, 12 IP, 7 walks and 19 K's.   Another really hard thrower.   He's jumped from A+ to AAA

Both Burdi and Bautista are 26 years old.   Part of next year's bullpen?

I never realized how nice a season Alex Wells was having at Norfolk.   He's done it at every level.   I hope he gets a real shot at the next level.

Bowie

Jordan Westburg has a 1.092 OPS in 10 September games.   Were you worried?   

David Lebron is basically a non-prospect but he is interesting.  He's in AA and turns 28 in September.  He knows how to strike out batters.

He's got 83 strikeouts in 56 innings at Bowie.   He got called up to Norfolk and got into 4 games and struck out 12 in 8 IP there.

He walks to many guys and he doesn't get mentioned much but I would not be surprised if we see his name in a MLB boxscore one day.

My only surprise with Lebron was that he didn't get a shot when the team was bringing up various NPS to pitch and send back of DFA. I don't think his command will allow him to have consistent success in the major leagues, but there are worse guys who've pitched for the Orioles this year.

I haven't seen any reports on Young.   He'll be 23 on Sunday the 19th.  He wasn't drafted, signed as a free agent for only the allowable $20,000.

At 6'6" and listed at 210 lbs he can add some muscle and some good weight and increase his velocity.  Whatever it is.

9 strikeouts in 5 innings for Aberdeen, so yes he's got some strikeout stuff.

12 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Hopefully, someone will tell me he throws 95 plus and has a good assortment of pitches.

Not 95 but a good assortment. Not sure how accurate "prep baseball report" is. 

Young is imposing as he looks down on hitters from this 6-foot-6, 210-pound frame. He has simple mechanics, making it possible for him to repeat with his long frame. He has a short, compact arm action with a clean and continuous arm circle that comes through a high-3/4 slot. He has a low- to mid-90s fastball, getting some arm-side action on a two-seamer while the four-seamer plays better at the top of the zone. He’s always had feel for an average changeup with solid command, but he made a big step when he added a slider this spring. It’s average at this point, but has good spin and solid depth, working down and away from right-handed hitters. Young is an intense competitor and profiles as a No. 3 starter, but would fit nicely in a bullpen role where his stuff would play up in short stints.

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/NC/2020-MLB-Draft-Others-To-Know-1549368270

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, waynebug said:

I haven't seen any reports on Young.   He'll be 23 on Sunday the 19th.  He wasn't drafted, signed as a free agent for only the allowable $20,000.

At 6'6" and listed at 210 lbs he can add some muscle and some good weight and increase his velocity.  Whatever it is.

9 strikeouts in 5 innings for Aberdeen, so yes he's got some strikeout stuff.

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41238-brandon-young-2021/&tab=comments#comment-2659456