Glutton for punishment: comparing 2018, 2019 and 2021

Frobby

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How many games did Grayson Rodriguez go seven innings this season?

None, but he did go 7 innings once as a 19 year old in 2019 when the O’s weren’t dealing with a season where nobody had pitched in a game in a year.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Probably did it as a minor pitching in high school.

Probably in front of an Orioles scout, crosschecker, or three!

Skimming his Game Log, Rodriguez did pitch on four days rest May 4/9, June 15/20 and August 17/22.

That gave him a 3-2 "win" in that category in 2021 over Brandon Woodruff and Corbin "isn't physically ready to pitch in Game 4" Burnes.

Last CBA we got the good news a few hours before the deadline...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2016/11/30/breaking-down-mlbs-new-2017-21-collective-bargaining-agreement/?sh=6a980a5811b9

...including the feature the players got the four extra off-days in season, pushing Opening Day to mid-week late March.   

I think some of the Stearns Brewers insights are in the realm of pitcher rest, and with this calendar, they could protect their fireballers and still get 30 turns from them.   Downside...Hunter Strickland might give you negative WPA in an elimination game while the guy with the FIP like Pedro 2000 watches.

Its hard to picture Elias having any reason to handle Rodriguez differently anytime soon, but if/when the time ever comes...from the "Ace drag me to wildcard game" section: Robbie Ray 19, Adam Wainwright 15, Nate Eovaldi 15, Gerrit Cole 9.    I think if I could only get one number from the future to know if 2023 is any good, its probably Grayson Rodriguez starts on four days rest.   MLB Payroll wouldn't be bad.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Seems unlikely.

Well, exaggerating there.  It’s hard to throw 7 innings in 50 pitches unless you’re getting a ton of 1-2 pitch outs, which seems unlikely.   My non-exaggerated point was that any 7 inning games he pitched in HS we’re probably less stressful on his arm than doing it in the minors.   His one 7 inning outing in 2019 took 100 pitches, by the way.   Which goes back to my original post, that the limits on Rodriguez last year were a product of not having pitched competitively the year before, not some general philosophy of limiting young pitchers to 5 innings/75ish pitches.  He exceeded those figures a number of times in 2019, along with many other Orioles minor leaguers.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, exaggerating there.  It’s hard to throw 7 innings in 50 pitches unless you’re getting a ton of 1-2 pitch outs, which seems unlikely.   My non-exaggerated point was that any 7 inning games he pitched in HS we’re probably less stressful on his arm than doing it in the minors.   His one 7 inning outing in 2019 took 100 pitches, by the way.   Which goes back to my original post, that the limits on Rodriguez last year were a product of not having pitched competitively the year before, not some general philosophy of limiting young pitchers to 5 innings/75ish pitches.  He exceeded those figures a number of times in 2019, along with many other Orioles minor leaguers.  

I think it is as likely that they decided to be more conservative as a general policy as it is to have been a product of 2020.  It isn't as if he wasn't throwing in 2020.  Is working in scrimmages against Gunnar and Adley all that less stressful than normal pitching?

No reason they couldn't have had him pitch to a reasonable pitch count, under direct supervision, in 2020.