2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

42 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Kinda interesting. One opinion of interest is that because the O's have the largest bonus pool, they may not even need to go under slot at #1.

It's been mentioned other places, but if this isn't a draft with a ton of depth that's another reason to no go under slot at #1. Then there's the opportunity to select under slots for several rounds as a way to save money.

It really seems to me like it's a three horse race between Jones, Holliday and Green.

I’d be very happy with Jones of course but also Holliday, Lee or Parada. Green could be a superstar or bust, not sure I like that for us. Berry, Cross seem like bad picks. Collier need more info but excited about age but I’d likely pass. As I said in another thread, I’d consider going Dylan Lesko underslot. I think that would be a very savvy move then just go huge overslot the rest of the draft. 

Just now, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I’d be very happy with Jones of course but also Holliday, Lee or Parada. Green could be a superstar or bust, not sure I like that for us. Berry, Cross seem like bad picks. Collier need more info but excited about age but I’d likely pass. As I said in another thread, I’d consider going Dylan Lesko underslot. I think that would be a very savvy move then just go huge overslot the rest of the draft. 

Why Parada?   No one has him going until the Nationals pick.     

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the odds of two players at the very top of the draft being rated evenly are very slight.  

I think this whole formulation is a little too simplistic.  One player might have a higher ceiling.  One might have a higher floor.  One might play a more difficult position.   There’s a lot of factors that go into it.  I think a lot of times the difference between the top guys is pretty slight and a matter of preference rather than objective metrics   

Let’s say I like lobster and salmon about the same, but if I order the salmon I’ll have money left over for desert.   Should  I order the lobster if I like it 1% better?

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think this whole formulation is a little too simplistic.  One player might have a higher ceiling.  One might have a higher floor.  One might play a more difficult position.   There’s a lot of factors that go into it.  I think a lot of times the difference between the top guys is pretty slight and a matter of preference rather than objective metrics   

Let’s say I like lobster and salmon about the same, but if I order the salmon I’ll have money left over for desert.   Should  I order the lobster if I like it 1% better?

No, its not simplistic.  Teams have draft boards.  They rank players.  This is how its done.

You have a player ranked 1 and a player ranked 2 for a reason.  

I think the part so many are missing is that this is the #1 pick.  That means more than any other pick in the draft. They will have had over a year to work on this pick and have had almost 10 months since they have known they were picking first and they had a lockout where they couldn't talk to their own players, so perhaps more attention was paid to the draft.

They absolutely know who their #1 player is. There are no ties.  Doesn't mean they don't like other guys because obviously they do.  Whoever that first player is should be the first pick, no matter the cost differences.

39 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Best hitter in the draft. Currently a catcher but they say he could play 3b. Why consider Johnson with less power and 2b?

Could play 3B.   You want to count on that?    Really?   

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They had the largest pool in 2020 and still felt a need to go under slot at #2.

🤣🤪🤣🤪🎯🎯🎯Yep. Arguing with some posters on this board is maddening. When you read national draft coverage on us you realize how much kool aid/tunnel vision people experience on here. Most descriptions of our draft coverage as : unpredictable, bizarre, strange and thrifty. I saw or heard one call Elias’ war room like the Viet Kong’s lol. Sometime I feel nuts when I come here and then you realize your not nuts, most just want to argue endlessly. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Better than a hitter with less power at the HS level that plays 2b (Johnson), no? Catcher/3b much more valuable, even at subpar, not bad, performance. 

Johnson plays SS in high school, but most scouts project him at 2B in the pros.  I think that the likelihood of Johnson making that transition is higher than Parada moving to 3B.  If you're drafting a catcher #1 it better be a Rutschman.  He ain't that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, NCRaven said:

Johnson plays SS in high school, but most scouts project him at 2B in the pros.  I think that the likelihood of Johnson making that transition is higher than Parada moving to 3B.  If you're drafting a catcher #1 it better be a Rutschman.  He ain't that.

Someone said he could “easily” play 3b. I’d have to investigate that further honestly but Rizzo likes Parada so I pay attention. Best GM in war all time from the draft I believe. Many chalk that up to Harper/Starsburg (which is true) but Os have had top picks for how long? I rest my case. 

Regardless, I’d go Jones. If not, Holiday, Lee, Parada. I’d def do an underslot deal with Dylan Lesko. But not excited by Johnson. Could be wrong of course but taking an eventual 2b with 1:1 seems like madness. 

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Someone said he could “easily” play 3b. I’d have to investigate that further honestly but Rizzo likes Parada so I pay attention. Best GM in war all time from the draft I believe. Many chalk that up to Harper/Starsburg (which is true) but Os have had top picks for how long? I rest my case. 

Regardless, I’d go Jones. If not, Holiday, Lee, Parada. I’d def do an underslot deal with Dylan Lesko. But not excited by Johnson. Could be wrong of course but taking an eventual 2b with 1:1 seems like madness. 

Of all the names you mentioned, Lesko is easily the worst pick they could make at 1:1. He would actually be worse than Berry.

Is there a case to be made for Brooks Lee as the #1 pick? He probably has the highest floor, to go with the lowest ceiling. He’s also possibly the quickest to MLB and more likely to help with an up and coming team in the next few years. We could still use more help in the IF. 

If he signs for under slot, and we pick two post-TJ guys with the savings, at 33 and 42, what would be your reaction?