Who is the Orioles 2021 #5 prospect?

Tony-OH

Who is the Orioles 2021 #5 prospect?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Orioles 2021 #5 prospect?

• Mike Baumann
    • DL Hall - LHP
    • Gunner Henderson - SS/3B
    • Heston Kjerstad - OF
    • Jordan Westburg - SS/3B

This poll is closed to new votes

I went with Henderson as I think Hall's injury knocked him down a spot or two.  

I will say that this is the first time in several years that I've remained happy through this spot in the top 5.  The system looks to be pretty flush with talent.  I don't miss the years where a guy like Hayden Penn was in the top 10 somewhere and it was kind of an eye-roll. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I went with Henderson as I think Hall's injury knocked him down a spot or two.  

I will say that this is the first time in several years that I've remained happy through this spot in the top 5.  The system looks to be pretty flush with talent.  I don't miss the years where a guy like Hayden Penn was in the top 10 somewhere and it was kind of an eye-roll. 

In my defense, the entire system was kind of an eye roll back then! lol

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

My only surprise so far in this poll is that Baumann has one vote an Kjerstad has none. While Kjerstad is a HUGE unknown, remember, this guy was on many top 100 prospect lists coming into his lost year. You still have account for upside. 

I think you'll have Kjerstad in the top 10 somewhere for sure but it's tricky.  

21 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah man, totally.  I knew you knew that, and I'd feel bad that you were trying to find reasons to get excited about guys like that!

You know, that was so long ago and I really have learned so much more then when I did those early lists. Those early lists were heavily influenced by the people I spoke too, mostly within the organization. Even though I went to a lot of games, I was still fairly new to scouting and understanding what to look for. With MiLB TV, and now with most affiliates having broadcasts (Although Bowie and Aberdeen were embarrassingly behind the curve for camera angles and Aberdeen didn't even have an announcer), I can see so much more. I know I watched more games this year than I've ever seen.

It helps when watching the Orioles can be done by casually watchin while I switch back and forth between three games in the minors. lol

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

My only surprise so far in this poll is that Baumann has one vote an Kjerstad has none. While Kjerstad is a HUGE unknown, remember, this guy was on many top 100 prospect lists coming into his lost year. You still have account for upside. 

Yea, I figure he is in the 8-10 range.  The conversation starts with him vs guys like Norby and Stowers imo.

Off topic thought, after DL Hall, I can't picture any of our other pitchers from AA and up (still rookie eligible) that deserve to be in the top 10. Bauman, Kremer, Kevin Smith, Bradish, etc. group seem to be future middle relievers and old prospects (if 25 is consider old). However, I do hope for a John Means resurgence for one of them.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Man, Baumann's stint this year really took the shine off for me. All the years of fuss for a dude with a middling fastball?

4 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Off topic thought, after DL Hall, I can't picture any of our other pitchers from AA and up (still rookie eligible) that deserve to be in the top 10. Bauman, Kremer, Kevin Smith, Bradish, etc. group seem to be future middle relievers and old prospects (if 25 is consider old). However, I do hope for a John Means resurgence for one of them.

I think a case can be made for Pinto but agree with you about the AA and up guys.

Pinto is the next pitcher imo.

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, I figure he is in the 8-10 range.  The conversation starts with him vs guys like Norby and Stowers imo.

I'll use this post to make a "you heard it here first" post...

Tony will have Stowers above at least 1 of Hall and Henderson, and maybe both. 

Stowers is a .260 -.280 hitter with massive power, high OBP, a great RF arm and very good range in the OF. He's essentially what we hope Kjerstad will be but with a higher k rate.

It's an impressive profile that Tony loves. We're all knocking him so much because of the k rate, but ignoring high bb rates, solid BA and great power. I think Tony thinks this kid is a stud to the point where I'm talking myself into Tony placing him here instead of 6 or 7. Plus he's done it through AAA. He's ready and will only be held back because of service time.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'll use this post to make a "you heard it here first" post...

Tony will have Stowers above at least 1 of Hall and Henderson, and maybe both. 

Stowers is a .260 -.280 hitter with massive power, high OBP, a great RF arm and very good range in the OF. He's essentially what we hope Kjerstad will be but with a higher k rate.

It's an impressive profile that Tony loves. We're all knocking him so much because of the k rate, but ignoring high bb rates, solid BA and great power. I think Tony thinks this kid is a stud to the point where I'm talking myself into Tony placing him here instead of 6 or 7. Plus he's done it through AAA. He's ready and will only be held back because of service time.

Its possible but Tony said the other day that that the top 6 are more of a en elite type prospect and the next group is in the very good range (I'm paraphrasing, it was something along those lines).

I think he sees more upside with Gunnar and Hall and I don't think Tony would trade either of them for Stowers.

But Tony did have Hall ranked lower than anyone did last year, so who knows.  Of course, Mountcastle graduated and Kjerstad continue to be out.  Only Cowser is new to that "top group".  

• Upvote 1