2021 Orioles #5 Prospect - DL Hall -LHP

Tony-OH

I am interested in what is the minimum acceptable walk rate for a starter.

Scott is incredibly undependable, and his successful appearances don’t compensate for his bad ones. It doesn’t matter how talented he is unless he can pitch better than he does.

It would be beyond awful if Hall ended up in the same category. I’ve never compared the two, I’m not sure one even can compare the two, but anytime someone mentions an elevated walk rate, that’s what comes to mind.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What changed between this year and last year that caused you to elevate him one spot, especially over Gunnar who was one spot ahead last year?

I’m sure Tony will answer, but Hall was much better in 2021 than in 2019, plus some of the reports from the alt site in 2020 had him really struggling to throw strikes, which really wasn’t a huge problem in 2021.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure Tony will answer, but Hall was much better in 2021 than in 2019, plus some of the reports from the alt site in 2020 had him really struggling to throw strikes, which really wasn’t a huge problem in 2021.

Yes but we are still talking a very small Sample size.  Basically, this is more about Hall or Henderson?

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What changed between this year and last year that caused you to elevate him one spot, especially over Gunnar who was one spot ahead last year?

I can't speak for Tony but I think Hall's numbers at AA before going down were very impressive while Gunnar's had a significant slump that raises some questions. Hall probably rocked the "eye test" harder than anybody on the list this year outside of maybe Grayson and I know Tony watches these guys. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Once you see Gunnar's profile it will be more obvious. Hall's control improvements were a factor as well as his ceiling.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hall could be the key to the Orioles avoiding another 15 year drought of losing

I’m afraid to get excited about Hall because as good as he is it’s his health that worries me even more. 

I’m honestly not worried that the O’s will have a losing team for 14 straight seasons as they did from 1998-2011.   That’s the whole point of the tear-down/rebuild vs. dying the death of 1000 cuts.   What I do worry about is that we’ll do all this and then only get to a Toronto-like level, hoping for the occasional wild card and finishing under .500 roughly half the time.   Getting to the top in this division is really, really tough.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m honestly not worried that the O’s will have a losing team for 14 straight seasons as they did from 1998-2011.   That’s the whole point of the tear-down/rebuild vs. dying the death of 1000 cuts.   What I do worry about is that we’ll do all this and then only get to a Toronto-like level, hoping for the occasional wild card and finishing under .500 roughly half the time.   Getting to the top in this division is really, really tough.  

It isn't the whole point.

• Upvote 1

I have observed over the years that lefties, for what ever reason, sometimes take longer to get command to be in line.  I think of Koufax and several others here.  Therefore I often give them a longer leash that righties.  I know it is the time of year to dream big, but if he and Grayson do turn out to be  good TORS, and slot Means in at #3,  that is what championship teams are built of.   I say, no charge to dream.  

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't the whole point.

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In fact, it’s a minor part of the point because it’s an unnecessary exercise, especially for the length of time they are doing it for.

I disagree.   That’s why they did it.   If there are other benefits, they’re incidental to the main objective, in my opinion.   

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

I just don't think we can ever expect to dominate the division for extended periods. We have three major market teams we are competing against plus Tampa, another well run organization. The law of averages says we might compete from time but it's hard to roll a five sided die and come up number one every time. Not only do we have to do everything right but you have to have multiple teams underperform for an extended period.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I just don't think we can ever expect to dominate the division for extended periods. We have three major market teams we are competing against plus Tampa, another well run organization. The law of averages says we might compete from time but it's hard to roll a five sided die and come up number one every time. Not only do we have to do everything right but you have to have multiple teams underperform for an extended period.

Yea no one dominates this division, it’s a gauntlet.