Pedro Severino among 3 outrighted to Norfolk

NCSUFreak2006

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd be fine with bringing him back if the price is good. With Adley being a switch hitter he could be deployed as a lefty masher giving Adley the day off. Who is the alternative? I haven't heard a compelling name out there. 

I'd totally bring Maverick up.  A backup catcher that you can use as a pinch runner?  Sign me up.

Sounds to me like you'd be maxing the entertainment level.

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Do you have evidence of that?

No I do not. Nor do I care to look further into it. Just my attempt at answering the question. If you have defensive value, you can provide value throughout the whole game even if you suck at the plate. If you suck at defense, you suck for a larger portion of the game than if you suck at only offense. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

(copying this from a post I’ve been maintaining in another thread) 

For the pre-Rule V 40 man roster, here's what I've got (in pencil):

Removed from 40 man (16) - Pedro Severino, Pat Valaika, Rylan Bannon, Tyler Nevin, Austin Wynns, Nick Ciuffo, Eric Hanhold, Thomas Eshelman, Travis Lakins Sr., Konner Wade, Fernando Abad, Matt Harvey, Spencer Watkins, Conner Greene, Zack Burdi, Marcos Diplan

Fielders (14) - Trey Mancini, Jorge Mateo, Ramon Urias, Kelvin Gutierrez, Austin Hays, Cedric Mullins, Anthony Santander, Ryan Mountcastle, Ryan McKenna, DJ Stewart, Terrin Vavra, Robert Neustrom, Jahmai Jones, Yusniel Diaz

Pitchers (16) - John Means, Chris Ellis, Kyle Bradish, Bruce Zimmerman, DL Hall, Keegan Akin, Dean Kremer, Zac Lowther, Alex Wells, Tyler Wells, Cole Sulser, Tanner Scott, Hunter Harvey, Mike Baumann, Dillon Tate, Jorge Lopez

Fringe (8) - Felix Bautista, Richie Martin, Kevin Smith, Paul Fry, Isaac Mattson, Joey Krehbiel, Brooks Kriske, Blaine Knight

Rule V Exposures (incomplete) - Patrick Dorrian, Nick Vespi, Cody Sedlock, Ofelky Peralta, Greg Cullen, Adam Hall, Cadyn Grenier, Logan Gillaspie, Adam Stauffer, Brett Cumberland, Mason McCoy, Lamar Sparks, Gray Fenter, Brenan Hanifee, Ignacio Feliz, Conner Loeprich, Cameron Bishop, Diogenes Almengo, Ryan Conroy, Tim Naughton

Deadline to set roster for Rule V - November 19th

UPDATES 

10/15/21 - Zack Burdi claimed by Arizona on waivers

10/15/21 - Travis Lakins Sr. outrighted to Norfolk

10/22/21 - Austin Wynns outrighted

10/23/21 - Thomas Eshelman, Konner Wade, Pat Valaika outrighted

11/3/21 - Matt Harvey and Fernando Abad declared free agency

11/3/21 - Pedro Severino, Conner Greene, Marcos Diplan removed from 40 man

11/3/21 - Eric Hanhold claimed by Pirates on waivers

•  

After the first four Rule V exposures that you list (Dorrian, Vespi, Sedlock, and Peralta) is there anyone worth protecting?  Some will call to protect Grenier, but I do not think he gets claimed.  Tough to imagine a team claiming a player his age who struggled against Double A pitching.  

23 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd be fine with bringing him back if the price is good. With Adley being a switch hitter he could be deployed as a lefty masher giving Adley the day off. Who is the alternative? I haven't heard a compelling name out there. 

I had hoped for Curt Casali but Posey's retirement probably throws a monkey wrench into that as SF probably keeps Casali now.

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

No I do not. Nor do I care to look further into it. Just my attempt at answering the question. If you have defensive value, you can provide value throughout the whole game even if you suck at the plate. If you suck at defense, you suck for a larger portion of the game than if you suck at only offense. 

Absolutely. The worst batter can only fail 3-4 times per game, but a terrible catcher can fail every pitch.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

After the first four Rule V exposures that you list (Dorrian, Vespi, Sedlock, and Peralta) is there anyone worth protecting?  Some will call to protect Grenier, but I do not think he gets claimed.  Tough to imagine a team claiming a player his age who struggled against Double A pitching.  

I'm the wrong guy to answer this because I'm on an island with this opinion, but I don't want to lose Greg Cullen and I actually think he could be taken. That said, I doubt he'll be protected. My list is also a little misleading when it comes to Knight.....I'm not sure he gets protected. I seriously doubt Grenier or A. Hall get protected and I doubt they are drafted. 

2 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I'm the wrong guy to answer this because I'm on an island with this opinion, but I don't want to lose Greg Cullen and I actually think he could be taken. That said, I doubt he'll be protected. My list is also a little misleading when it comes to Knight.....I'm not sure he gets protected. I seriously doubt Grenier or A. Hall get protected and I doubt they are drafted. 

I overlooked Knight.  He's another one to protect. 

Wouldn’t it be fun to sign Matt Wieters to the role of Gregg Zaun from Wieters’ debut season?

Not saying they should, just saying it’d be cool to see his career come full circle like that. 

And personally, I hope to never see Severino in an O’s uniform again. I want to see a good defensive catcher even if he can’t hit much. It’s too bad the Tigers grabbed Barnhart even if he was a bit expensive. He’d have been perfect. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

I’m not sure why a catcher that completely negates any defensive value he provides and then some with his putrid offense is more valuable than a poor defensive catcher who hits enough to make up for that negative defensive value. 

I get what you mean, but I feel that with all the young rookie pitchers we'll be bringing up it makes more sense to help the confidence of those pitchers that they can throw a breaking ball in the dirt by accident and know it's going to get blocked as opposed to watching a wild pitch/passed ball go by the catcher and thinking, "Oh no worries, he'll get me back when he comes up in 2 innings."

Also, defensive minded doesn't exactly equal "putrid offense."

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, oriole said:

Wouldn’t it be fun to sign Matt Wieters to the role of Gregg Zaun from Wieters’ debut season?

Not saying they should, just saying it’d be cool to see his career come full circle like that. 

And personally, I hope to never see Severino in an O’s uniform again. I want to see a good defensive catcher even if he can’t hit much. It’s too bad the Tigers grabbed Barnhart even if he was a bit expensive. He’d have been perfect. 

I wouldn't be against bringing back Wieters for one last ride, but is he still physically capable of playing catcher at this point of his career. Plus how much bat speed has Wieters lost since 2019. 

I think even if Severino could be brought back at a relative bargain that Elias is ready to move on and bring in a catcher with better skills behind the plate. 

14 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

(copying this from a post I’ve been maintaining in another thread) 

For the pre-Rule V 40 man roster, here's what I've got (in pencil):

Removed from 40 man (16) - Pedro Severino, Pat Valaika, Rylan Bannon, Tyler Nevin, Austin Wynns, Nick Ciuffo, Eric Hanhold, Thomas Eshelman, Travis Lakins Sr., Konner Wade, Fernando Abad, Matt Harvey, Spencer Watkins, Conner Greene, Zack Burdi, Marcos Diplan

Fielders (14) - Trey Mancini, Jorge Mateo, Ramon Urias, Kelvin Gutierrez, Austin Hays, Cedric Mullins, Anthony Santander, Ryan Mountcastle, Ryan McKenna, DJ Stewart, Terrin Vavra, Robert Neustrom, Jahmai Jones, Yusniel Diaz

Pitchers (16) - John Means, Chris Ellis, Kyle Bradish, Bruce Zimmerman, DL Hall, Keegan Akin, Dean Kremer, Zac Lowther, Alex Wells, Tyler Wells, Cole Sulser, Tanner Scott, Hunter Harvey, Mike Baumann, Dillon Tate, Jorge Lopez

Fringe (8) - Felix Bautista, Richie Martin, Kevin Smith, Paul Fry, Isaac Mattson, Joey Krehbiel, Brooks Kriske, Blaine Knight

Rule V Exposures (incomplete) - Patrick Dorrian, Nick Vespi, Cody Sedlock, Ofelky Peralta, Greg Cullen, Adam Hall, Cadyn Grenier, Logan Gillaspie, Adam Stauffer, Brett Cumberland, Mason McCoy, Lamar Sparks, Gray Fenter, Brenan Hanifee, Ignacio Feliz, Conner Loeprich, Cameron Bishop, Diogenes Almengo, Ryan Conroy, Tim Naughton

Deadline to set roster for Rule V - November 19th

UPDATES 

10/15/21 - Zack Burdi claimed by Arizona on waivers

10/15/21 - Travis Lakins Sr. outrighted to Norfolk

10/22/21 - Austin Wynns outrighted

10/23/21 - Thomas Eshelman, Konner Wade, Pat Valaika outrighted

11/3/21 - Matt Harvey and Fernando Abad declared free agency

11/3/21 - Pedro Severino, Conner Greene, Marcos Diplan removed from 40 man

11/3/21 - Eric Hanhold claimed by Pirates on waivers

•  

Man its sad that almost half the 40 man roster would lose to a AAA team

• Upvote 1