2021 Orioles #9 Prospect - Heston Kjerstad - OF

Tony-OH

44 minutes ago, hutchead said:

Heston feels like his "old self."

Impressive young man for sure. Glad to hear he feels he back 100% and will be ready to go come next spring. Let's all hope and pray that this young man is over this and can focus on baseball.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Impressive young man for sure. Glad to hear he feels he back 100% and will be ready to go come next spring. Let's all hope and pray that this young man is over this and can focus on baseball.

I think, as a fan, you have to really like everything he said.

He seems healthy, has a good outlook, loves the sport (this is can be very underrated) and seems to “want it”.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure.

Not sure if it makes any difference.

It was always a possibility.

Notice he didn't confirm he was ever positive for Covid.

He didn’t confirm it but mentioning it and saying it could be from that is another way of confirming that he had it.  

Of course, I guess he could have had it and not known he had it, like most people.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He didn’t confirm it but mentioning it and saying it could be from that is another way of confirming that he had it.  

Of course, I guess he could have had it and not known he had it, like most people.

That was what I was talking about.

He could have had an otherwise mild case that went undiagnosed.

Or he could have got the disease the way people got it before Covid was a thing.

I don't think it's genetic though.  ?

Seems like a good, level headed, humble young man.   He’s really young-looking!   Seems to me he avoided answering much about his symptoms, how he knew something was wrong, etc.   It was also a little hard to see exactly what kind of shape he’s in now.   Seems like he’ll really have to get after it hard this winter to be in good playing shape by the time camp starts.   

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2021 at 1:54 PM, higgybaby said:

So I believe this is the first time we’ve heard that it was possibly COVID related. 

On 11/5/2021 at 2:22 PM, Aristotelian said:

No need to state the obvious. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK459259/

Epidemiology

The incidence of myocarditis is approximately 1.5 million cases worldwide per year. Incidence is usually estimated between 10 to 20 cases per 100,000 persons. The overall incidence is unknown and probably underdiagnosed.  In the United States, the frequency of myocarditis is difficult to ascertain as many cases are subclinical. In community-based populations, the prevalence and outcomes of myocarditis are unknown as epidemiologic studies suggest that the majority of Coxsackie B virus infections, an important cause of myocarditis are subclinical, thus following a benign course.

According to some estimates, 1% to 5% of all patients with acute viral infections may involve the myocardium.

The majority of patients are young and healthy. Individuals who are susceptible include children, pregnant women and those who are immunocompromised.

On 11/5/2021 at 12:26 PM, hutchead said:

Heston feels like his "old self."

On 11/5/2021 at 1:11 PM, Tony-OH said:

To anyone who was questioning whether he would even want to play baseball in the future, or just medically retire with his draft signing bonus...

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-heston-kjerstad-heart-myocarditis-return-20211105-swgot4kc6zetrnh7wmi6h2zlju-story.html

Heston Kjerstad tried to adopt some new hobbies over the past year, but none of them succeeded in capturing his interest. He was too busy thinking about baseball, watching baseball, wishing for baseball.

“The one thing I wanted to do was play baseball, and I couldn’t do it,” Kjerstad said. “Nothing else really satisfied that.”

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

To anyone who was questioning whether he would even want to play baseball in the future, or just medically retire with his draft signing bonus...

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-heston-kjerstad-heart-myocarditis-return-20211105-swgot4kc6zetrnh7wmi6h2zlju-story.html

Was there people questioning this? I knew there were people questioning him going back and finishing his degree and missing instructs before anyone knew of the myocarditis diagnosis, but I don't recall reading anyone questioning his desire to get better and play baseball again. Maybe I missed it though.