Promotions I want to see in 2022

wildcard

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wow, look at wildcard being reasonable.

I hope all of you realize G-Rod will be on a strict innings limit next year.  No whining when they shut him down early and he's out of the ROY running.

I am guessing 20 IP at Norfolk and 110 IP with the O's.

6 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

You are on the right path here.  Westburg and Hall both staying healthy and dominating Bowie and Norfolk to the extent that they warrant a midseason promotion is not out of the real of possibilities.  But is it likely?  I don't think so.  I worry about performance with Westburg (he has initally struggled at both Frederick and Bowie) and health with Hall.  I also do not see Elias rushing Hall given his lack of experience in the upper minors.  Just look at how GrayRod was handled. 

I think sometimes we confuse what we would like to see happen and what is reasonable to expect to happen. 

And I think people expect way too much perfection for players to be called up.

Saying these aren’t reasonable expectations is just wrong unless the MiL season starts late again.  At that point, I’m still not sure I say it’s unreasonable but it’s much more unreasonable then. It’s absolutely reasonable if the season starts on time.  You can discuss if it’s likely or not though.

I will say this…I think at least one of Westburg, Gunnar or Hall sees ML time this year.  

The new CBA also matters.  What is the language in terms of call ups?  Do they designate an age where a player becomes a FA as opposed to service time?  

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If there is no work stoppage. Promotions to the O's from AAA.

1)  Adley on opening day or two weeks into to the  season depending on the new CBA.

2) Grayson by the 1st of May.

3) Stowers by the 1st of June.

4) DL Hall and Westburg by the 1st of August.

Make it happen.

Maybe we work out a long term deal with AR. I also think if we’re holding Grod down till May 1st, then we might as well hold him down until June 1st. I’m also a big believer is that there’s only so many bullets in an arm, so once these guys look MLB ready, we need those bullets at the MLB level. 

Just for contracts sake and not performance, but look at the “Calvary”. Who did we even have to extend or pay big money too in Arb?  Only Tillman and Britton. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

You are on the right path here.  Westburg and Hall both staying healthy and dominating Bowie and Norfolk to the extent that they warrant a midseason promotion is not out of the real of possibilities.  But is it likely?  I don't think so.  I worry about performance with Westburg (he has initally struggled at both Frederick and Bowie) and health with Hall.  I also do not see Elias rushing Hall given his lack of experience in the upper minors.  Just look at how GrayRod was handled. 

I think sometimes we confuse what we would like to see happen and what is reasonable to expect to happen. 

This. Promotions contingent on performance. Feels like a little bit of a stretch with Westburg but if he earns it, great. 

Others not on the list: 

Felix Bautista - should be protected, chance to make opening day roster. 

Sedlock - not a lock to be protected but could be.

Neustrom - .750 OPS in AAA last year. If he is a MLB ballplayer we need to find a spot for him. Next man up if there is an injury? 

Yusniel Diaz, Blaine Knight - haven't really earned it yet but if they are doing well at AAA they could get a shot. 

Vavra, Gunnar, Rom, Brnovich - have a chance to see them in September if they perform well. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He had a decent month at AAA in Sept.   Two more good months at AAA should convince Elias that he is ready for the majors.  Just my guess.

That’s fair..I think he could move quicker than that but I don’t think June 1 is far off.  I would think that by May 1, if he is doing well and a spot is needed, he could be brought up.  

What they do with Mancini and Santander will be telling in some ways.

I think we can all reasonably agree that first base/DH/OF type players will not be on the radar this offseason in terms of signings(at least nothing guaranteed), even if they trade both of those guys Unless Mullins is also dealt.  At that point, maybe someone else is brought in.

So, if they move either of them, particularly Santander, I think that tells you that they could go with Stowers (or maybe Neustrom) quicker.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'd like to see Neustrom and Bautista at some point as well. Otherwise I like these timelines.

If he looks good on ST (ie, isn’t crazy wild, doesn’t appear that the moment is too big for him, etc…)there is no reason not to have Bautista on the OD roster.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d like to see it, if they justify it with their play.   Adley already has with his play at Norfolk last year.   The rest have things left to prove in the minors.   The timing of Stowers’ promotion may depend on how the OFs in front of him are performing.  

I think the timing on Stowers depends on his performance not other outfielders.   Santander and Hays don't project to play 162 games so there is  playing time there. And Mancini is 30 and will need days off.   

I would rather see Stowers get the playing time in the major if he is ready over McKenna or Stewart.

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'd like to see Neustrom and Bautista at some point as well. Otherwise I like these timelines.

Bautista could win a pen job out of ST.     Neustrom is probably more depended on the other OFer health in the majors.  He is behind Mullins, Hays, Santander and  Stowers.  JMO.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the timing on Stowers depends on his performance not other outfielders.   Santander and Hays don't project to play 162 games so there is  playing time there. And Mancini is 30 and will need days off.   

I would rather see Stowers get the playing time in the major if he is ready over McKenna or Stewart.

Yes but you aren’t bringing him up to play sparingly.  If/when Stowers is up in 2022, it should be to play everyday, so I do tend to agree with Frobby here.

What is happening with the guys in front of him will dictate this to a certain degree. 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well, obviously the health of other players plays a role.  As to Stewart and McKenna, we’ll see how they do.   I couid imagine either/both playing well enough where the O’s are in no hurry to promote Stowers.    But if they play like they did last year, there will be a lot of incentive to push Stowers forward if he’s doing well in AAA.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Bautista could win a pen job out of ST.     Neustrom is probably more depended on the other OFer health in the majors.  He is behind Mullins, Hays, Santander and  Stowers.  JMO.

Neustrom could be come up before Stowers because you don’t feel the need to play him everyday.

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

This. Promotions contingent on performance. Feels like a little bit of a stretch with Westburg but if he earns it, great. 

Others not on the list: 

Felix Bautista - should be protected, chance to make opening day roster. 

Sedlock - not a lock to be protected but could be.

Neustrom - .750 OPS in AAA last year. If he is a MLB ballplayer we need to find a spot for him. Next man up if there is an injury? 

Yusniel Diaz, Blaine Knight - haven't really earned it yet but if they are doing well at AAA they could get a shot. 

Vavra, Gunnar, Rom, Brnovich - have a chance to see them in September if they perform well. 

You missed the controversial ones.   Baumann and Bradish.