Markakis extension on hold

Hank Scorpio

He didn't just assume the Orioles underwhelmed, but cited a previous post from Belkast.

Fair enough. I misspoke:

So, either this article is wrong and we hadn't made any offers or we did make offers and they sucked.

He assumed that the article is wrong (no offers) or we made bad offers. But what do we make of this quote from the article:

Neither Markakis' side nor the Orioles would confirm what offers were exchanged, but one industry source called the Orioles' proposal "fairly significant," but said the sides appeared to be millions apart.

How is it not an assumption to say there are no offers or they were crappy offers if we have information saying, in fact, that the O's proposal was "fairly significant."

And I missed the Belkast post: where is it? Is it about these negotiations? Or the half-assed attempt the O's made last year to extend him? (Just curious - not sure how I missed it this time.)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I missed the Belkast post: where is it? Is it about these negotiations? Or the half-assed attempt the O's made last year to extend him? (Just curious - not sure how I missed it this time.)

Belkast....Whats going on with Markakis?
In my opinion we aren't being very realistic.

The note was recent. Perhaps the Orioles came up with a better offer since. In fairness, we don't know how realistic Markakis' demands were either.

The note was recent. Perhaps the Orioles came up with a better offer since. In fairness, we don't know how realistic Markakis' demands were either.

Thanks. A little cryptic. But - and I agree 100% with everyone else - if we're not realistic and blow this, I'll be angrier than I've been since they basically let the press run Murray out of town.

So, just to be clear: you assume Nick's rationality. And assume that the Orioles have underwhelmed.

Then you call the Orioles a joke.

Interesting work there, Descartes.

Until proven otherwise, the assumption(at least for me) is that the Orioles are always in the wrong for most things.

No reason to think otherwise.

Until proven otherwise, the assumption(at least for me) is that the Orioles are always in the wrong for most things.

No reason to think otherwise.

You know, Tony bailed you out and then you went and dug yourself another hole. ;)

Honestly, you're entitled to believe what you like. I'm not going to argue that you're wrong about past O's performance. I just don't see how most of that is relevant going forward. With a new administration, I'll remain guardedly optimistic.

And, of course, ready to pounce.

You know, Tony bailed you out and then you went and dug yourself another hole. ;)

Honestly, you're entitled to believe what you like. I'm not going to argue that you're wrong about past O's performance. I just don't see how most of that is relevant going forward. With a new administration, I'll remain guardedly optimistic.

And, of course, ready to pounce.

This administration, ever since the Bedard deal, hasn't done anything.

I am not giving AM a pass because he talks a good game and has made a few good deals.

For me, he needs to do more...Maybe I expect more out of him than you do but its still how I feel.

This organization is still awful until they start to really prove otherwise...so far, they haven't.

AM hasn't been aggressive in this, that much seems obvious...He should have been trying to hammer this thing out for months...For him not to know what it takes to have this done already is a joke.

What a complete joke.
That Markakis refuses to negotiate with the O's?

Because the reports are that the Orioles made a significant offer, so you can't possibly be blaming it on them. At least, you can't if you want to be right.

That Markakis refuses to negotiate with the O's?

Because the reports are that the Orioles made a significant offer, so you can't possibly be blaming it on them. At least, you can't if you want to be right.

No, the report is that the Orioles made a FAIRLY significant offer. Big difference there...Using that word fairly could mean anything.

And I absolutely can blame them for not being more aggressive and not having a better idea of what it would take to get this done by now.

I dont know why people are freaking out about this. I dont get any sense of hard feelings from both sides. I get the sense that its all going to work out in the end. Be patient. Its not like we are going to lose Nick.

Yeah, I'm not freaking out yet.

I agree, I wish it was done already, but I am still confident it will get done.

If we could see what the offer was, we could get a better read on how out of touch the Orioles are IMO.

Until then, nothing to worry about.

The article was updated.

And this is what Belkast is referring to.

The second offer, we have no idea what it was, but "significant" seems like the Orioles stepped it up a bit. And I'm sure once Markakis sees the team is committed to winning with their moves this offseason, Markakis will take some steps toward the Orioles' side...

Archived