Markakis extension on hold

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you automatically know that its the Orioles offering less than what they should instead of Nick trying to ask for too much? Theres no real evidence either way, assuming its one instead of the other is irresponsible.

Assuming the Orioles are in the wrong isn't irresponsible...it is logical based on what they have done in recent years.

You may not agree, that's fine...don't care.

If you had the attitude over the years that the Orioles are in the wrong, even before knowing most of the facts, 9 times out of 10 you would have been right.

Until they prove otherwise, no reason to think any different.

Even THIS regime, apparently offered Nick a LOW BALL contract in July...So, why am I to assume that they are any closer?

The article suggests it that we offered a FAIRLY significant deal...Again, how is that word fairly being defined by that source...Does it mean 6/75 or does it mean 5/50??

We don't know but my guess is that the source would have said a record breaking deal, a deal that rivals Rois' contract or something like that instead of using the term, "fairly significant".

I'm not reading all the threads, so this may have been touched upon. I'm willing to bet that the contract itself is the bigger part of the negotiations, but Nick could very well be waiting to see what direction the team is headed in.

Why signed a 7 year deal (theoretical number) when we don't make progress towards competing this off-season?

Since 2006, here are the things the Orioles did "right" IMO:

Drafted & Signed Wieters ..... uh, 1

Signed Guthrie for nada ..... uh, 2

Matusz ...... uh, 3

Bedard deal ..... uh, 4

Tejada deal ..... uh, 5

Signed Huff for much less than several of the "experts" her wanted to give him .... uh, 6

Drafted and signed several "tough signs" with lower picks after offering them well above slot like Miclat .... uh, 7

This was just quickly off the top of my head. Based on your 9 out of 10 theory, this would leave 7 x 9 or 63 things they did wrong during this period to maintain your ratio. Do you want to list them here? ;)

Before you get upset, I'm just joshing with ya in an attempt to make it clear that you're hyperbolizing just a bit. These aren't the Syd Thrift Orioles or even the Jim Beattie Orioles. I'm not sold on them as a whole, but I'm sure that they are neither incompetent nor lazy.

Coming up with a list of 63 players around baseball that the O's should have traded for will be cake. ;)

Assuming the Orioles are in the wrong isn't irresponsible...it is logical based on what they have done in recent years.

If you had the attitude over the years that the Orioles are in the wrong, even before knowing most of the facts, 9 times out of 10 you would have been right.

Even THIS regime, apparently offered Nick a LOW BALL contract in July...So, why am I to assume that they are any closer?

The article suggests it that we offered a FAIRLY significant deal...Again, how is that word fairly being defined by that source...Does it mean 6/75 or does it mean 5/50??

We don't know but my guess is that the source would have said a record breaking deal, a deal that rivals Rois' contract or something like that instead of using the term, "fairly significant".

That's ridiculous. Why would the O's offer less years. It's in their interest to try to get as many years as possible from Nick and in Nick's interest to give up as few years as possible. If HanRam got 6/70 do you think Nick deserves more?

What a completely ridiculous, hairbrained post.

...always wanted to do that. :D

But seriously, let's take a deep breath here. We're arguing semantics.

"You're not always going to like the first offer. But I'm not soured at all," Markakis said. "I understand where they're coming from and hopefully they understand where I'm coming from. It's just a process. All it takes is time. We'll see what happens."

It would seem that Markakis wants to be here and I promise you that MacPhail wants him here.

Neither Markakis' side nor the Orioles would comment specifically on the negotiations, but one industry source called the Orioles' proposal "fairly significant." That is in contrast to the July offer, which according to sources, was worth in the $5 to $6 million range annually -- potentially half of what it will take to likely get a deal secured.

This is how negotiations work, we all know this.

This deal will get done. Let's back away from the ledge.

What a completely ridiculous, hairbrained post.

...always wanted to do that. :D

But seriously, let's take a deep breath here.

It would seem that Markakis wants to be here and I promise you that MacPhail wants him here.

This deal will get done. Let's back away from the ledge.

I have never said different...I think it will get done as well.

But it should already be done...Their shouldn't be any risk of alienating him, screwing this up or anything like that.

I think it will get done but until it does, I will worry that the Orioles will screw this up somehow.

But it should already be done...Their shouldn't be any risk of alienating him, screwing this up or anything like that.

I think it will get done but until it does, I will worry that the Orioles will screw this up somehow.

I think MacPhail probably got a pretty good grip on the fact that he wouldn't be alienating Markakis before he tossed him the "lowball" offer.

Now, I don't know that, but any good agent will keep his client's emotions in check in the beginning stages, IMO.

I think he'll stay. If he believes that the O's are finally serious about the future & trying to sign top free agents, why leave? His name has never been in trade talks, so that alone should mean something.

Plus, if the O's manage a good signing or trade...or both...before Nick decides, I would think that should be in the O's favor.

This is lame. If we are truly alienating him, he will not extend. And even you don't think that. It seems that Nick has the maturity to understand how the negotiating process works. Why can't an Uber GM in your own mind, like you, do the same?

SG is right, this is something that SHOULD have been done before this point. But, that is not how AM operates.

In his mind he has a list of things and Nick's extension isn't high on his priority list because Nick can't go anywhere for awhile. Now we can agree or disagree with that.

The question then becomes will the Orioles get this done? Well I think they will, Nick is the face of the org right now, no way they don't sign him.

Nick has said before: "I don't care how long it takes, just so it is done right." Both sides know this will get done.

I'm not even sure how it's possible that we can still sign him, I mean we did need to sign him awhile ago right?:D

Bottomline is it doesn't really matter when it gets done this offseason, just that it gets done. If by taking an extra couple months saves the team some money, great, it will be well worth it.

Archived