Markakis extension on hold

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont know why people are freaking out about this. I dont get any sense of hard feelings from both sides. I get the sense that its all going to work out in the end. Be patient. Its not like we are going to lose Nick.
Maybe so, but the fact that the Orioles have tried to get Nick Markakis extended twice now and failed to do so is not a good sign. Perhaps Markakis is only willing to extend if he gets an outrageous offer. Perhaps Markakis sees Teixeira get a huge offer this offseason and says I will wait for free agency and pick where I want to play. Perhaps watching one of his best friends, Adam Loewen, leave the Orioles at his first opportunity has affected Markakis' willingness to extend. One thing for sure: even if Markakis signs this offseason, the Orioles have cost themselves a bunch of money by not locking him up earlier.

I am sure the words above were said several times by fans in the years before we lost Mike Mussina in free agency in 2000. Many fans thought it was impossible that the Orioles would lose Mussina too.

FWIW, IMO......Nick will get signed this offseason. I think we are creeping up to where we need to be to get the deal done. It really is just part of negotiating. Nobody wants to pay more than they have to. It will work out fine!

FWIW, IMO......Nick will get signed this offseason. I think we are creeping up to where we need to be to get the deal done. It really is just part of negotiating. Nobody wants to pay more than they have to. It will work out fine!

Exactly!!!

It's somewhat disheartening, this whole process. The Orioles definitely could have gotten Markakis signed cheaper than they will now be able to, if they're even able to get the deal done. I hope the Orioles at least made a legit offer and didn't low ball Nick again, but at the same time, I hope Nick isn't holding out for some kind of ridiculous countract.

No, the report is that the Orioles made a FAIRLY significant offer. Big difference there...Using that word fairly could mean anything.

And I absolutely can blame them for not being more aggressive and not having a better idea of what it would take to get this done by now.

So you automatically know that its the Orioles offering less than what they should instead of Nick trying to ask for too much? Theres no real evidence either way, assuming its one instead of the other is irresponsible.

And signing Tex and Burnett won't hurt... ;)

We might. The Orioles will want to counter the "industry source" (Nick's agent?) that told the press about the "lowball" offer. I understand concept of the back and forth in negotiatons, but why start off "lowball?"

I agree that was a stupid move. But I think it will all work out before Spring Training. I dont see AM losing Markakis.

The hell you say!!!!!!! Torches!!!!!!! Pitchforks!!!!!!!!

:cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

Archived