Final Call: Who do the O's protect from the Rule 5 draft?

wildcard

By my count, the Orioles have 8 empty spots and 5 easy cuts still on the 40 man roster, so space is not an issue at all.

My final picks are Vavra, Bradish, DL Hall, Bautista, and Neustrom.

I'm ambivalent about Neustrom, Smith, and Vespi. I'd be fine either way with those 3, but gun to my head I'd pick Neustrom. 

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Vespi did well at AA and in the AZ League which I consider AA+. But he did poorly at AAA which mean the jump to the majors for a 26 year old may be a jump too far.   The question is not will he be claimed but will the team that claims him keep him for 90 days.  

Smith was awful in AAA yet you want to protect him?

25 minutes ago, Philip said:

He’s been terrible. If he is exposed I’m sure he will be picked because of his Pedegree, but I doubt he would stick the season.

He hasn't been terrible the last two seasons but I also wouldn't lose sleep over not protecting him.  I think he has potential value as a cheap middle relief arm going forward, but those guys also grow on trees.  Given the space we have on the 40 man I'd protect him if we can.

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Last year that 2nd round prospect was Tyler Wells.  And the O's currently have Kriske and Krehbiel on the roster.

Of course, and Santander was a 2nd rounder too. But they aren’t the norm. I’m guessing it won’t be a matter of those two pitchers vs two rule v picks come the 19th. 

7 hours ago, Big Mac said:

Given the space we have on the 40 man I'd protect him if we can.

When thinking about the space on the 40 man there are other players that need to be added this off season.  A backup catcher,  an infielder, a left-handed reliever and hopefully a starter.  Then there are Adley and maybe Grayson in the spring.

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

With the top rated farm system shouldn't we be at the point in which we are using all 40 slots for our own guys?  If someone can't make another team's 40 why would we want to add them to our 26?

Most of our best talent does not need to be added yet. And having the #1 pick in the R5, we should take at least one this time around. After this season, I hope it is as you say it should be.