2021 Orioles #21 Prospect - John Rhodes - OF

Tony-OH

12 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Who wants guess if he starts next year at Delmarva versus Federick?

He'll play most of next year at 21 so I'm guessing he starts at Delmarva, especially after not exactly lighting things up. There is still going to be a little bit of a traffic jam there in the outfield with Deson, Craig, Trimble, Williams, and Rhodes needing playing time though I'm guessing Williams' advanced approach will give him a chance to start at Aberdeen. 

Cowser could get the Rutschman approach and start next year in AA.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Steve Pearce seems like a good comp. He’s built like Pearce as well. Hopefully his sophomore slump was nothing more than something that enabled him to fall to us in the draft. IIRC he had big time wood bat summer league numbers too. 

Was thinking this as well. @Tony-OH, where do you think Rhodes would have been drafted had he repeated his Freshman season numbers?

Rhodes was the National co-Freshman of the year when he slashed .426/.485/.672/1.157 in 17 games during the COVID shortened 2020 season but slumped to .251/.397/.508/.905 during his redshirt Sophomore season this year.

31 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Was thinking this as well. @Tony-OH, where do you think Rhodes would have been drafted had he repeated his Freshman season numbers?

With those gaudy numbers, probably a 1st rounder since he went into the season top 30-50 college prospects in several national publications.

• Upvote 1

I don't know much about this kid beyond what Tony has written, but I think the important thing - especially in the 20's - is the profile. This kid has a chance to be a legit cog in this organization. He also has a chance to not progress beyond AA. I get that, but the goal to me is to stockpile a lot of guys like this through your drafts because some will have years like Stowers and maybe turn into better. 

This guy has a chance to be good. You like that with your #21 prospect.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

This guy has a chance to be good. You like that with your #21 prospect.

Exactly. I’m predicting that Trimble and Willem are our #23 and #24 prospects. So you have a guy like Rhodes that had/has 1st rd talent. Then your most recent 2nd pick in Trimble. Then a million dollar overslot HS Catcher in Willem. Then a 20/20 CF that hasn’t even really been talked about. 

That’s a top system. With the #1 upcoming pick in hand.